Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Borg Warner T-10 question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tony Ray, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

I got this Borg Warner T-10 trans with my 51 Ford. The previous owner was going to hook it up to the 283 chevy he put in the car, but said it hit the tunnel. Ive tried to decode the casting but the only thing i think i figured out is the date. The other thing that made mr wonder about it is the bolt on yoke I guess you would call it. maybe because im more of a ford guy, i never seen one like this, I have little knowledge about chevys, though when i asked a buddy he said it could be something even earlier then a 63. I just want to know what it is, if its worth holding on to or selling it.. Any help would be much appreciated..

IMG_1781.jpg IMG_1783.jpg IMG_1782.jpg IMG_1784.jpg IMG_1785.jpg IMG_1786.jpg IMG_1789.jpg IMG_1787.jpg

47ragtop likes this.
  2. Looks like a T10 for a '58-64 X frame GM, probably a Chevy.

Pipes likes this.
  3. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Most Chevy application T-10's I've seen had a bowtie cast in the case.

Pipes likes this.
  4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

5. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Based on the bolt-on yoke, 61-63 Buick and Oldsmobile, with 2 piece driveshaft. The output shaft is a 23 spline affair; other early GM application T-10 transmissions used 17 and 27 spline slip yokes. The Super T-10's used the TH400 style, 32 spline slip yokes. I'm not sure how you'd go about finding a "working slip yoke" for your T-10; the output shaft splines are't very long. Maybe weld up the bolt hole in the yoke, don't use the bolt, and use some U-bolts for the universal joint; then keep your fingers crossed it works. A driveline shop should be able to come up with something; a driveshaft with a built in slip joint? There are a BUNCH of online sites to look at regarding B-W T-10/Super T-10 transmissions. What did the swing axle Corvette's use for a "slip yoke"? I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
    Pipes likes this.
  6. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

No bow tie anywhere , any from what I read it should have that year if it was a Chevy..

7. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That would make more sense.. I guess I need to find out what it’s wirth. A guy offered me 800 for the running 283 and the t10.. I’m trying to figure is it a good or not..

8. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

9. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

ok, took a few more pics and looked closer at it. its cast iron with Aluminum tail shaft. input has 10 spline with 1 grove going around the spline, there is also numbers on the plate that goes around the input spline.
    IMG_1822.jpg IMG_1826.jpg IMG_1825.jpg

10. cs39ford

cs39ford

11. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

just wrote all those down, im guessing the T-10 wide ratio 62-65 2.5,1.89,1.51,1.00, 10 input spline, 1 groove , and 16 output, must be mine. 56 Sedan is right ,i think, it looks like its either Olds F-85 or a Buick Special

12. cs39ford

cs39ford

I got that on the H.A.M.B. sometime ago. Very handy I used it to date a few T10s. Copy and put away very handy.

Pipes likes this.
  13. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

Thanks for everyone’s help, just got an email from Ed Hartnett from EH 4speeds . It’s definitely from a Buick or olds, apparently only from 63-65. Gee wonder if that means it’s rare..
    Hi Tony,
    The identification is correct, Buick or Oldsmobile, 63 to 65. Used in these vehicles that have a 2 piece driveshaft with the slip-yoke section as part of the driveshaft. The yoke in your transmission is not used as a slip-yoke, but as a saddle style mount, similar to the rear pinion flange. This mainshaft cannot be used as a slip-yoke as there is not enough length on the yoke and there is a shoulder on the mainshaft for the yoke/flange to mount tightly against.
    The single ring on the input shaft indicates a wide ratio gearset, which is a 2.54/1 1st gear.
    If there is any other info I can help you with, let me know.
    Regards,
    Ed Hartnett

Now to figure out what to do with it...

14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^Any driveline shop should be able to make a "slip joint" driveshaft; you may even get lucky if there's one available from another car/truck that's the same basic length. From the standpoint of the transmission itself, it's "rare"; from the "worth" consideration, it's worth less than a "slip-yoke" style transmission. If the trans is in good shape, I'd use it, and have the appropriate driveshaft made. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. malibumonte78

malibumonte78

I had one just like that that came with a 56 Chevy I purchased. I found a few instances on various forums of people saying that they had luck removing the bolt and using the original yoke as a slip yoke. But as your email mentioned above the main shaft is pretty short for that. The best bet is to find an olds/Pontiac guy that is looking for that exact trans, but I was never able to find one. I ended up selling it to a guy for around $500 and he was going to try and use it a as slip yoke style, that did include a nothing special shifter though.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  16. Tony Ray

Tony Ray

That’s pretty much what I think I’m doing now, sell it to a guy I know that will just change the driveshaft end to make it work..