Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Looking for a Mentor in S.California

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Donuts & Peelouts, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Hello. Is anybody out there willing to teach a young guy his old tricks. I'm looking for somebody to teach me anything car-related. Engines, Transmissions, upholstery, body paint, fabrication, electrical, anything. I got a basic understanding of cars and even took a class at the community college, I have my own tools and I work for free. If you are working on a project or need some extra help and willing to teach I'm willing to learn and work . I'm 31 years old, I'm strong and believe I could learn fast and apply the knowledge that has been given to me. I just feel like I will learn so much more Hands-On.
    I live in Huntington Park. I'm willing to travel inside of Los Angeles County, parts of Orange County and San Bernardino County also. I work swing shift so I'm available every morning from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays I go to school from 9 a.m. to 12 so after that I'm good. Sunday's my church day.
    Thank you for seeing my post.

Sent from my SM-J727T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. cosmotiki

cosmotiki
    from SoCal

3. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

You might check out your local car clubs to see what others are doing : you'd be surprised how many guys are willing to help a "neubie"!

els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  4. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Wow thanks I'll be email you. If I can't find some thing closer I'm in. Most likely nobody else will chime in so thanks so much for the opportunity

els and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. Good luck. Your humble request for help is impressive. Keep us in the loop going forward.

jeffd1988, crminal, Mdbtyhtr and 7 others like this.
  6. I am lucking you live across from me Don..

7. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

If I were you, I'd take a look at the collages (even night schools) near you or are willing to drive to and do your learning that way. That way, you don't learn only from one person and his/her bad habits, but you'll have a whole class to learn from. You can weed out the things you like and don't like from the other various people in the class, including the teacher.

A simple internet search will show you the schools that teach various automotive classes.

Mike

els, flatford39 and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  8. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Impressive request on your part. A great way to learn and for older guys to pass on their knowledge. I have offered this to several younger guys around here and even to pay them to help but no takers-don't seem to have the interest or desire.

48fordnut, jeffd1988, els and 3 others like this.
  9. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Thanks Buddy I'll keep you posted

djr041060, els and lothiandon1940 like this.
  10. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I work 2pm to 1030pm so night school is out the question. When I went to school for auto tech one semestster they only talked about new cars. But your right theirs gotta be a class for me

els likes this.
  11. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I looked you up, your a good 400 miles away. I can't believe they wouldn't even take money. Thanks for your post

12. Weird thread as I am the same age,I have the same drive and wanted to start a thread like this but was afraid to get flamed like in the old hamb days.
    I am in vegas and sometimes after work i have nothing to do.
    I have some skills but no knowledge and I know some older gents cant do a lot of the physical stuff that this hobby requires and they need help.

But I guess I just need to read more and get experience by trial and failure.
    Good luck down there It seems theres more hotrodders in soCa than anywhere else.

13. Good on you !!
    Don't know down where you are but up here NO ONE is getting into the trades, construction, mechanics none of it!
    Did automotive mechanics for 17 years now doing forklifts and heavy equipment, everyshop and dealer out there is screaming for techs, I get offers to " jump ship" more then I care to think about.
    And the " old knowledge" is disappearing , find me a " tech" that can rebuild a carb, set static engine timing, use a vacuum gauge or lap a valve !!!
    All skills that are still required but no one wants to learn or bother teaching .

Good luck to ya hope it works out and you find something

If you can't look into heavy equipment and forklifts I actually fix and repair stuff instead of just changing parts like on new cars

14. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Donuts -

I know it's a little far from you, but Chaffey collage has an Engine Rebuilding and a High Performance Engine Building and Blue Printing class.
    Chaffey as noted has performance engine classes.
    UEI in Gardina I believe has performance classes.
    I'm sure others do too if you look.

In any case, if you are a little lacking on experience...even working on "new cars" can provide reasonably good knowledge.

Mike

els, Hyfire and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  15. Good for you to seek- the only way to learn is hands on..... Books will only get you so far, and then the real world come's into play.... Lived/live it, got the shirt, yadda yadda.....
    Agree- bad habit's abound, but- if you don't know what those are, how would you be able to tell?
    If I was(we) were closer, it would be game on. I know some things:rolleyes:, but every piece you get add's up.
    Continue, and I'm sure you'll get something. Hey pennies make dimes..... Pick up what you can from whom you can. Listen,compare, try to be hands on when possible. Nice to see you want to learn. I learn stuff everyday, and that always is a good thing.;)

16. Not so true my friend...........

17. Well until i find my hotrod knowledge sugar daddy,thats how it will have to be!

els and INVISIBLEKID like this.
  18. And always remember to take the time to put on your safety equipment. Safety Glasses, Safety mask, gloves, etc. It's the best habit that you can get into.

19. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Best advice! I was always so busy with the job at hand I neglected my own safety. Can't count how many times I've gone to bed with shit in my eyes, my hearing is shot, my back is shot, my hands are scarred. No car is worth that much.

els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  20. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

[​IMG]

Yeah and a long sleeve lol, I got this the other day loading an engine, Never again. I had an Engine on my stand with out the safety clip on. And she spun on me, my instinct was to to save it from falling, so I put my hands out (wrong move) the engine spun on the stand fast. Never will I put on a short sleeve again working in my garage.

Thanks everyone

Almost hit the vien, took a chunk off me.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    Darryl Deir, lothiandon1940 and els like this.
  21. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

It took me a while to finally post this, I ran out of pride a while a go.

Darryl Deir, 48fordnut, els and 2 others like this.
  22. belair

belair

As you learned from the spinning engine incident: never put your soft, squishy flesh in between a rock and a hard place. Best of luck in your informal education. Watch, listen, ask questions. It takes time to learn.

23. I think donut is 31, in a few years his nose hairs will start growing in nice and thick, so at least he won't have to worry about using masks anymore (I haven't needed one since I was 35, and hair has started growing out of my ears so earmuffs are out too)

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Chucky, els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  24. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els and clunker like this.
  25. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

Ttt ...
    Anyone closer than Santa Ana from Huntington Park?

els likes this.
  26. southcross2631

southcross2631

I am glad you are man enough to know your limitations and not be a know it all, that can't do anything.
    I am looking for an apprentice to teach what I know before I am not able to do it any more.
    no takers and they have about done away with the high school auto shops.
    We are going to move back to Tn so my son can drive over on his days off to learn. I told him if he would do that ,he could have my tools when I am done with them.

27. Gman0046

Gman0046

I'm looking for someone I can mentor. Something like a large busty blonde.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    Loadsled, belair, Chucky and 2 others like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

I have a niece that can contact you. She is blonde, about 290 lbs. Is that large enough ? Oh yeah, she is very busty .

48fordnut, mbrede, Nostrebor and 4 others like this.
  29. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

When you do find someone to learn from, I hope you don't call him your sugar daddy lol

lothiandon1940, Special Ed and els like this.
  30. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

I got good news and an update for everyone.
    First off thanks you Cosmotiki and Fast Ford for being so fast to offer me help, that was so cool and I'm truly honored. All these days that have passed by since the 1st post you have been on my mind and I feel like a jerk for not taking the opportunity. But being in orange county I was dreading the 5frwy (if your from CA you will understand) but that's just an EXUSE so understand I would have loved to apprentice under Fast Ford of Santa Ana.

So, I was watching YouTube videos. The digital world full of good and bad teachers and even some students who are convinced they are teachers and ran across a video of a hot rod builder from LA. Though he is on the west side of LA and me the south this really interested me. I thought as I watched this short documentary/video on him how this was a kinda exactly what I asked for/wanted from a Mentor.
    He was old school and building Rods from scratch it seemed. So I went about finding him. I'm a real detective when I want to find something and ended up with his phone number in my possession. I called him yesterday and told him basically what I posted in post #1 and I'm to start this Saturday. I'm so happy, and most of all Blessed by God how he has never had me lack. And in my desperations when I thouht I was lacking it was only for the greater good. Bellow is a link to the video I spoke of earlier. Mom always said a closed mouth don't get fed. Thanks for everyone's patience.