Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Spindle Options for 1934 BB Ford Truck.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chev34ute, Oct 19, 2017.

1. chev34ute

chev34ute

Hey Guys.

I have a 1,1/2 Ton 1934 BB Ford Truck that I want to convert to disc brakes. I am wondering if there are any aftermarket stub axles that will bolt onto the original I,Beam that will allow such a conversion ?

At the same time I want to replace the old truck diff with a heavy duty higher ratio one, preferably a narrowed nine inch.

I have also heard that an early Mustang 8 inch rear end has a similar width to the BB Ford one. If this is true, would they be strong enough to take the weight of the truck ?

To keep things simple, power would come from either a 302 Cleveland or a 460 Ford coupled to a Top Loader Four Speed.

The idea is to retain the original characteristics of the truck but at the same time have something that is powerful enough and safe enough for everyday driving.
    Has anyone ever done a conversion like this ? Any feed back is greatly appreciated !

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. What will the truck be used for?Might dictate the rear.

3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I had my '40 1 1/2 ton I heard (but never verified) that spindles from a mid '80's Ford F-250 would work. Don't know what it take to make it work (if at all) but it might be worth looking into. Then again I don't know how similar your '34 is to a '40.

4. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

I have a '28 AA that I put '34 BB axles (& disc brakes from '99 or newer F-350) under both ends. Kept the original '34 spindles with "Budd" hubs/wheels. I'm using a T-5(you could use almost any OD trans) to keep the original 5.14 ring/pinion rear end. PM me w/phone # & we can talk

chev34ute likes this.

5. chev34ute

chev34ute

It will be for purely recreational use. It would depend on our harsh registration laws. Most pre 1940 vehicles in my state seem to only be allowed to run on club rego which means you are inly allowed to drive them to sanctioned events or for maintenance purposes.

6. chev34ute

chev34ute

I would be interested in seeing some photos if you have them. Phoning is out of the question as i live in Australia but i can send through my email.

7. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

For another idea : take a look at "fordAAtruckcenter" click on the forum, click on the next forum. There's a treasure trove of info. BE CAREFUL as those guys are PURISTS!!!! but their info is useful. I see no reason that 14" drake drums, especially if converted to hydraulic, shouldn't be WAY more than adequate, especially in a hobbiest vehicle. if you can fit a 3+1 ford transmission( or other units with a .7 OD ratio) to your torque tube, that should give the equivalent to a 3.59+/- final ratio if you keep the original 5.14 rear, unfortunately the other rear(6.66) would only give 4.62+/-. Another way might be to start with a later F-350 chassis to mount your bodywork on. There are many options, so don't limit yourself to any one without looking at as many as you are able.. HAVE FUN!!

8. jack_pine

jack_pine
    from Motor City

I'm late to this party but, I have a 1936 1.5 ton...I got spindles from an '84 E350. Hoping to adapt the stock axle to the larger '84 Kingpin. I had a dually quick-change rear axle built

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using The H.A.M.B. mobile app