Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Santa Rosa fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigfluxer, Oct 10, 2017.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How about this: "100% of your tax-deductible donations will go directly to support those affected."

One of our local credit unions, Redwood Credit Union, is taking and distributing donations.

https://www.redwoodcu.org/northbayfirerelief

What they have raised so far may look like a lot, but it really is not. The affected folks are going to need possibly 100x that to rebuild.

3. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. bchctybob

bchctybob

Thanks for the info Gimpy, I'm sure a lot of us were wondering where to donate to do the most good.

chryslerfan55 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  5. There are a number of GoFundMe (and similar) accounts set up for victims. I've made a couple of donations directly to car guys on here (and their families) who have lost everything. I know that when Scotty Birdsall's funding goal was met, he asked people to stop donating to him, and instead donate to other accounts of victims.
    https://www.gofundme.com/birdsall-family-recoverytubbs-fire

I know my money is going directly to help those that have lost everything.

MUNDSTER, chryslerfan55 and Chris like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I like the credit union best of what I have seen so far, will take a closer look asap. Go Fund Me gets a cut of your donation, or so I'm told.

7. Budget36

Budget36

Also, and for the life of me I forget the foundations name, but Ronnie Lott-ex-49'er/Raider-, is donating 100% through his foundation...sorry, you'll have to do some leg work...but there are many who have stated publicly they are donating 100% of proceeds.

Special Ed likes this.
  8. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They get a cut. 5% off the top.

9. classicdreamer

classicdreamer
    from nyc
    1. A-D Truckers

I have some clothes from my 3.5yr old twins that I would like to donate directly to a family with kids. I will pay the shipping out west.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The local donation stations are currently overloaded, and are asking for cash.

If anyone knows of a specific family, I can relay it to them.

Special Ed likes this.
  11. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

12. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

16. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

please help in whatever way that you can for those hit by fires, hurricanes, etc

Special Ed likes this.
  19. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Indeed. Don't forget that this is not the only disaster that has hit the US mainland, or territory.

Special Ed, jim snow and Baumi like this.
  20. jp52

jp52

I'm a forester. Worked with fire all over the country. Sadly not all forest types lend themselves to low intensity prescribed fire. There's s great program up here in oregon called fire wise which teaches landowners and neighborhoods to create defensible space around homes and structures. I just hope everyone makes it out alive and unscathed. Thank god for fire fighters and fire crews. They're real heros.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

21. Sometimes good intentions backfire. The Arkansas forestry commission a couple of decades ago came up with a slogan There's life in those dead trees. And encouraged folks to not remove dead trees . the claimed the dead trees where habitat for squirrel ,woodpeckers and the like. And they never removed dead trees from the state and national forest. As a result a insect called a Wood Borer flourished. And all across Southern Missouri and the Arkansas hills . Great numbers of healthy mature red and white oak trees have become insect infested and many thousands have died. The one,s that live are riddled with tunnels and the lumber is diminished in value. Ive tried to encourage folks to manage their wooded land like they do their crop land. If we would remove old growth trees before they die of old age and remove cull trees and keep dead litter from the ground there will be better timber and better mast crops for wildlife. I think If I lived where they have the kind of fires they are experiencing in Calif. All of my structures would be steel and concrete. Its a tragedy that needs addressing to make certain it never happens again.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Special Ed

Special Ed

The world is currently on fire. Massive blazes burn in the United States, Canada, Russia, South America, and across Europe. Popular Science magazine from this past August has compiled some maps for you to understand that this has nothing to do with the composition of California's "structures".

https://www.popsci.com/global-wildfire-maps

chryslerfan55 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  23. They claim there unsolvable problems. Im also certain there are preventive measures that could be implemented to lessen the loss of lives and property. I takes three things to make a fire. Heat oxygen and fuel. Remove one of those items and there is no fire. A concrete and steel structure has no fuel. The local charcoal plant has concrete and steel buildings. The cram them full of scrap wood and sawmill slabs. Set that on fire and get it burning . Then they shut the doors and air vents and smother the fire by depriving the oxygen. Its still dry in my part of Arkansas. We have burn bans in effect. It wouldn't take much for a serious wild fire to start here.

24. Konman

Konman
    from Scottsdale

Those are some wild pictures. Looks like fallout 4

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Sending what I can up to my cousins - who dodged the destruction but are doing all the good and helping their neighbors through this....tough looking at their FB posts - but I like to keep up with them....

26. sportcoupe1948

sportcoupe1948

My son lives in Sonoma works at Sonoma raceway, fire was all around them but didn't get to the track buildings. I use to stay at the Hilton in Santa Rosa only thing left is the pool.

Sent from my XT1254 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. Binkman

Binkman

The fire came within 1/8 mile from my place.
    We helped evacuate 2 different friends from the path of the fire and stored cars and furniture at my shop,
    then the fire spread and we were asked to leave.
    I stayed and thank God for the 100 ft. firebreak the CDF cut. It saved Agua Caliente, Fetters Hot Springs, Boyes Hot Springs, El Verano, and Sonoma.
    Both friends's homes were spared as was mine.
    I worked floods, earthquakes and fires for 34+ years. This was the first time I was afraid we would not make it.
    This was a wake up call to everyone involved.
    The effort to extinguish the blaze was monumental and historic, as was the fire.
    So far 10 families I know lost everything. Houses, cars, shops, clothes, -everything.
    I am still waking up every hour or so at night to see if anything is burning.
    Seeing a DC-10 tanker flying over your place at 400 ft. puts the world into perspective.
    HAPPY THANKSGIVING !

28. oakstcustomz

oakstcustomz

This guy rebuilt his 56 and is back on the road! It was in the Coffee Park housing devolopment in his driveway...the picture of it painted black is what it looked like...

Attached Files:

Roadsir, Hamtown Al, Baumi and 3 others like this.
  29. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

Did the state of CA pull off the sales tax on emergency equipment, first aid and safety items?