Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody buy a car with E-Bay Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Ebay did use escrow for ebay motors. Now they are not? Either way, the funds can still go into an escrow account. It doesn't matter which institution is used for the escrow. Escrow is a safe haven for the funds. Get my drift?

I would pay the deposit (refundable or non refundable) and then pay the balance in person once I have put hands and eyes on the car if I still wanted it.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I agree.

3. 36couper

36couper
    from ontario

I had a friend buy a car from eBay Motors. Talked to the 'owner' seemed legit. Send the guy a hefty deposit. Went to pick they car up only to find it didn't exist. The scammer sold this phantom car 2-3 times. He was never to be found even after the RCMP were hunting for him.

'51 Roadmaster likes this.
  4. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Too many red flags... that's where my buddies here varify my doubts.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

'51 Roadmaster likes this.
  5. This explains it from Ebay

April 25, 2016

[​IMG]

Over 5 million satisfied customers have purchased vehicles through eBay motors. A vehicle purchased through eBay is guaranteed through their Vehicle Protection Program for up to $50,000.

And criminals know that.

Criminals are using ebay Motors logos and verbiage to lure people into giving them money. Customers think they will get a car in return. They won’t.

The Vehicle Protection Program for up to $50,000 is only available through an ebay purchase. The protection does not extend to purchases on Craigslist, or any other private seller. If a Craigslist seller promises you eBay’s VPP, this is a false claim.

HOW CAN YOU TELL?

The first clue that an “ebay” sale is not actually an “ebay” sale is that the cost of the vehicle is surprisingly discounted. When researching any car purchase, check on one of the reputable car websites like Kelly Blue Book (kbb.com) or nada.com for the actual going rate of a specific used car.

Another clue that an “eBay” sale is not really an “eBay” sale is the email address. Emails from eBay have the domain name <ebay.com.> Criminals may have the word “ebay” somewhere in their email name, such as: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]. None of these emails have been sent from eBay. Ebay does NOT allow a buyer to contact a seller directly, all correspondence is through ebay.

You can check to see if a message you receive in your personal email is REALLY from eBay by signing in to your eBay account, and checking your eBay messages. If you do NOT see the same message “From eBay,” the message in your personal account is likely fake. To report a fake email, forward it to [email protected]

Transactions in which the seller and the vehicle are in different locations are suspect. Criminals often claim to have been transferred for work reasons, deployed by the military, or moved because of a family circumstance, and could not take the vehicle with them.

If the seller does not make the vehicle available to the buyer for inspection, don’t buy it.

If the seller insists the “sale” take place immediately, that is a red flag.

The only way to buy a vehicle on eBay is by logging into your eBay account with a user ID/email address and password. To purchase an ebay auction, one of the following needs to be true:

• You were the winning bidder on the auction
    • You clicked 'Buy it now'
    • You sent a best offer and the seller accepted it
    In these cases, the item will always appear in the purchase history of your eBay account.

You can send suspicious emails to [email protected] and report the fraud email to Internet Crime Complaint Center at http://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx

Escrow accounts can be used to securely transfer funds to the seller (providing that you set up the escrow account, not the seller). EBay recommends using their approved escrow service: Escrow.com.

If you have a question as to the validity of an eBay purchase, go to:

http://ocsnext.ebay.com/ocs/eua?pid=882

to get a one-time passcode

Then call 866-405-3229

pat59 and Boeing Bomber like this.
  6. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

A friend lost several thousand dollars to a reversed PayPal charge, plus the item he sold. Yes, it can happen. Only use it for what you’re comfortable possibly losing.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boeing Bomber and 49ratfink like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Bottom line is car is NOT being bought off of Ebay, seems the OP has figured out it's a scam (thanks to all the valuable input from the HAMB).

But are we now watching a pissing contest about buy THROUGH Ebay?

Been enlightening, but I think I'd rather find a build thread.

egads and lurker mick like this.
  8. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

Just Further Information, E-Bay Recently Purchased Pay Pal.

9. jazz1

jazz1

I have bought a couple vehicles on eBay. I send 10% PayPal deposit then pay cash for the remainder. This way if the vehicle is misrepresented or non existent I'm only out 10%, which has not happened.

10. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. rust&patina

rust&patina

Ebay has owned Pay Pal since July of 2002...

12. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

As I mentioned in post #40, eBay and paypal became separate companies in 2015, July to be more precise. They are completely separate companies.
    From paypal's website: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-ebay-update
    "eBay and PayPal are now separate companies, which means we are no longer part of the same group of companies."

From eBay's website: https://www.ebayinc.com/stories/news/ebay-paypal-become-independent-companies-2015/
    "eBay Inc. today said its Board of Directors, following a strategic review of the company’s growth strategies and structure, has approved a plan to separate the company’s eBay and PayPal businesses into independent publicly traded companies in 2015"

One more link https://www.geekwire.com/2015/every...-and-paypals-split-and-how-it-impacts-amazon/

pat59 likes this.
  13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I told the lady my uncle can come by anytime to look at the car and she had excuses why she couldn't be there. I pushed it a little farther and suggested her son, or parents that she moved in with can show him the car. Knowing now there is no car. She hasn't replied in two days, I think she figured I'm on to her.

pat59, bobwop and RICH B like this.
  14. trailerpark

trailerpark

15. Post her number. I bet we can have more than a few people call her..... :D

Flathead Dave likes this.
  16. I would NEVER buy anything halfway costly , or a car from ebay, Craigslist or anything online.
    I'm 65, DO NOT TRUST people online one bit. If I can't go see it, I won't buy it except from business's I can verify.
    Too good to be true ALWAYS is.

Gman0046 likes this.
  17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

wonder how many people have bought it so far?

18. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What's the number. I'll call have others call her about the car. It should be fun.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

19. tobyjuarez

tobyjuarez

I’ve sold about 5 cars on eBay. Never bought one,,, but it gives a little protection to both parties.

The whole process works best if you guys actually meet in person. Payment can have through ebay, but if you actually meet touch the car to the money,,, why bother at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

20. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

As someone who has sold over 30,000 items on Ebay since 1999 I can tell you that whenever there is a problem they have a very simple policy-the buyer is always right and the seller is always wrong. That way they don't have to waste a lot of time getting involved in the thousands of complaints they probably receive on a weekly basis. If a seller has a problem with a buyer they are not allowed to leave neutral or negative feedback but the buyer can most certainly leave neutral or negative feedback for the seller. That's why anyone who only buys and never sells will always have a 100% positive feedback rating whether they deserve it or not. But having said that Ebay is still the best place to sell in my opinion because they attract buyers from all over the world. I personally have sold a variety of items (old car brochures, old shop and owner's manuals, old license plates, etc.) to people in about 35 different countries on 6 continents so even though I'm not crazy about some of their policies I'm still using them to sell my stuff....

pat59 and partsdawg like this.
  21. roddin-shack

roddin-shack

I agree with you, except as a Canadian we have the further burden. E-Bay now has another arm called E-Bay Canada now they charge the seller HST (tax) on their service charges, in addition to the service charge to convert the funds from USA dollars to Canadian dollars. They will not send USA funds to my USA account. They just keep going deeper into our pockets.

22. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The 36 Ford ad is a SCAM.

Boeing Bombet - there are 5-6 seperate make and model different car ads running across the country with the same bull shit.

Let me guess - you first replied and the response was send me your Email for details.

Maybe this will help you .........

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/1936-ford-des-moines-scam-ad/6351778887.html

Boeing Bomber - don't fall for it and be ripped off like this poor guy was.

bobwop likes this.
  23. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Sound familiar Boeing Bomber ?

25. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

That's the entire story to a tee. Even the name Gloria. She hasn't responded in a couple days since I asked for my uncle to see it again. I figured she's on to me, now that I'm on to her. Or him, who knows.

bobwop likes this.
  26. Lebowski

Lebowski
    BANNED

I'm pretty sure this is the same bitch who ran this ad for a '48 Buick convertible on the Lexington, Ky Craigslist about 3 weeks ago. Here's a link to the thread I started then. Hopefully someone will catch her real soon before she rips off anyone else....

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/is-this-seller-legit-or-is-it-a-scam.1080357/

I just checked and the ad is still running in case anyone wants to mess with this goofy bitch....

https://lexington.craigslist.org/cto/d/1948-buick/6320640522.html

bobwop likes this.
  27. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks for the link to the Desmoines c/l scam post. I saw the actual add a day or two ago and thought it didn't seem right. I've also seen the '48 Buick posted all over the place on c/l. Still if it were true who wouldn't love the low ball '36 five window.
    -Dave

28. Why are you so darn insistent on using something you don't understand. Why take chances ??
    You are going there anyway so do like HRNut said, take cash, pay after you have seen the car. Or have your uncle go inspect it. Those are the only two choices you have, it's a scam and you don't want to find out the hard way, it will cost you lots of $$. Good luck.

29. We sold Grandson's '59 Elky on Ebay a couple years ago. We are in Kalifornia, he was in Tennessee I think. Deal went flawlessly and I think he is happy with the car. No complaints sent our way anyway.
    P1010528.JPG

30. corncobcoupe

corncobcoupe
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

willys36 said:
    "We sold Grandson's '59 Elky on Ebay a couple years ago. We are in Kalifornia, he was in Tennessee I think. Deal went flawlessly and I think he is happy with the car. No complaints sent our way anyway."

Glad everything went fine for you THROUGH EBAY BUT the point is the car in Question and multiple cars is posted all over the country on Craigslist and is a complete scam run the same way.

36 ford, 48 Buick , Husdon Rag Top on and on......

The same scam - Posted on Craigslist wanting the transaction to go through EBAY.
    It's a scam - FRAUD and this poor guy in the link below got scammed and is trying to warn everyone he can.

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/d/1936-ford-des-moines-scam-ad/6351778887.html

It's the same car/ cars fellow HAMB Member town and sedan is looking at and HOPEFULLY through our postings does not send money anywhere or dream about it anymore.

bobwop likes this.