Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Anybody buy a car with E-Bay Motors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boeing Bomber, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've got a phenomenal deal on a '36 Ford, two states away. They would prefer I use eBay Motors payment. It sounds all above board, and eBay motors has sent me the invoice for the car. All I have to do is pay for it to eBay motors, pick up the car, and I have 5 days to tell them whether I want it or not. When I do, they send the money to the seller. The real fun part would be the cross-country trip driving it home.

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. As I understand it, if you buy a car via Ebay, they provide some sort of guarantee. Might be a good thing.

Good luck, though the fun might be better enjoyed, in about 7 months....

3. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I dont know why any seller in the world would go for this. You hear all the time about weirdo scams...and just because Ebay is supposedly involved it makes it legit. No thanks. You mean I get to wave bye bye to my car...hope the guy who buys it is legit...transmitted legitimate funds to ebay...doesnt crash it...blow up the motor...and is honest in his opinion of the car? Whats in it for the seller? Way too many ways it could go sideways for me. As a buyer seems like youre protected though...but that is what seems to be the trend on Ebay. All for the buyer...who cares about the seller...I hope sellers wise up and sell elsewhere till they change these policies..

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  4. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

My 2 cents,Beware, it could be a scam, Better to go see the car in person,[only 2 states away] and take cash with you. See if the seller would be willing to do this, If not ,again Beware, they are hiding something.

bobwop and da34guy like this.

5. FalconMan

FalconMan
    from Minnesota

I bought a car of eBay 'buy it now' last spring. I had a few phone calls, lots of photos. Best deal EVER. Bought it without seeing it. eBay /paypal backs the buyer. Everyone says I 'stole that car' ......

6. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

"Ebay Motors" don't send invoices, if thats whats happening its a scam! the real Ebay uses PayPal

hint no 5 on Ebay motors fraud:
    You found the vehicle on another website and the seller tells you eBay will protect the transaction, such as:
    • Extend eBay warranty, eBay guarantee, or a buyer's protection plan
    • Offer a return policy in case you are not satisfied (like a 'cooling off' period)
    • Process the payment directly or hold/secure the funds

FACT: eBay provides Vehicle Purchase Protection only for transactions that start and are completed on the eBay Motors website (other terms and conditions apply). In addition, eBay does NOT hold payments or extend protection for non-eBay conducted transactions.

The only way to buy a vehicle on eBay is by logging into your eBay account with a user ID/email address and password.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  7. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

If you are going to pick it up in person, why dont you just pay for it in person too? Seems like that would be best for both uyer and seller.

8. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I've actually got an uncle who lives 2 hours away from the car. It may be asking a lot from him, but he might be willing to make the drive to see if the deal is real. Again, I really would rather see the car, and then buy the car cash.

bobwop and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  9. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm going to propose that to her, and if she resists, I'm gone. Who wouldn't turn down cash and As-is warranty?

10. Gman0046

Gman0046

I wouldn't hang my hat on eBay getting your money back. How could they possibly do that? Go look at the car and if OK buy it.

da34guy likes this.
  11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it isn't a car you found on Ebay I'd be real shy on sending any money.
    Tell her you need to have your uncle go look and take photos for you to look at. If she goes for it so far so good. My bet is there will be a lame excuse as to why she can't show it to your uncle. Film at 11.

bobwop, Hot Rod Nut and Boeing Bomber like this.
  12. rust&patina

rust&patina

So, it's two states away... if you decide you don't want the car... are you taking it back to the owner ???

13. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

Yup.

14. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

The Ebay motors invoice states the seller will provide transportation back home.

15. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

The seller's protection is that the buyer's money goes to eBay where it is verified as actual funds. Only then does eBay notify the seller they have the money and it's okay to release the item.

16. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have bought and sold cars on ebay motors. Nothing wrong with it as long as you know what you are doing.

I will always pay the deposit and pay the rest upon seeing and touching the car and I allow those who buy from me to do the same.

Ebay Motors places the funds into a escrow account and then releases the funds once the deal is done.

Ebay Motors is not a rip off unless you allow it to be. Don't believe what these nay sayer's believe.

Try it for your self snd make up your own mind.

Sent from my SM-G930T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Boeing Bomber likes this.
  17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Ebay Motors puts the funds into an escrow account.

18. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

The invoice from eBay Motors looks extremely legit. They give me the choice of a bank wire transfer, or a bank cash deposit.

19. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

How could l "allow it to be"?

20. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

And you can follow it up with a phone call to ebay motors.

Terrible80 and Boeing Bomber like this.
  21. Or just forwrd the invoice to Ebay and ask them if is legit or it does it smell like limberger?
    And maybe ask the seller if they work on an oil rig?

22. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

By not paying attention to the transaction.

If you are going to use ebay motors as the source of your purchase and not do the deposit and rest of payment in person, follow up with ebay motors to make sure that they received your funds. Easy as pie.

And by doing what 36roadster said.

bobwop likes this.
  23. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

is this a joke and everyone is in on it but me?

bobwop, blowby, Hombre and 3 others like this.
  24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

rather than send your money to "ebay motors". just send it to me. you will be out your money and have no car, but at least I am telling you that up front. I'll even knock $500.00 off the price.

bobwop, Hombre, Hot Rod Nut and 6 others like this.
  25. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Yep what he said, I wonder if anyone actually read my post but IS THIS CAR ON EBAY NOW????? if not re read what I posted or send me the money.

bobwop, Budget36 and Black Panther like this.
  26. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

I assumed that the op found the car on Ebay. If that is not the case...if you just found that car on the net...and the seller wants to use Ebay Motors...id say its a scam. Why in the world would a seller outside of Ebay want to use that service? The only way it makes sense is that it is a scam....there is no car...and youd be wiring the money to God knows where. Scammers go out of their way to make you feel like youre being protected...all the while youre being fleeced. Also...they super entice you with a too good to be true price. Do a Google image search on the pictures posted on the ad you saw...I bet you theyre lifted from somewhere else. Id be curious to find out the wiring/bank routing information...betcha its an overseas bank...

bobwop, Hombre and Hot Rod Nut like this.
  27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

we'll split the money.:)

bobwop and clem like this.
  28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Dude, it’s a scam.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

bobwop likes this.
  29. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

deal :)

bobwop likes this.
  30. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

Who said "there's one born every minute". ?