Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. And not everyone looking at them in that.....thing are thinking cool ride, but the driver does. :confused:o_O JW

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  2. loudbang likes this.
  3. Pretty sure I read on here somewhere; that the copper one was an old "show car" someone dug up and resurrected. Probably was never intended to be a driver as is plainly seen; but still neat in some odd way, that it actually functions.

4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That would be a really rough ride.

loudbang and razoo lew like this.
  5. nobux

nobux

Well, I've been staring at the back of my bucket for two years now, alternating between "I like it, bare and simple" and "She's got an fugly ass". After deciding that all of my favorite 60's buckets had beds, I decided that before paint was the time to make it happen. Quick bed mock-up, it's just sitting on there.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Question for those with beds. How far down from the top of the back of body is the top of your bed?

chryslerfan55, Tim and loudbang like this.
  6. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Keeping in mind that mine is a completely home made bed that I put where I thought it would be most pleasing to the eye....
    roadster outside ! 006 (2).jpg

7. nobux

nobux

Looks good Blue. I like the looks of the top of the bed close to the top of the body.

I'm going to block mine up as high as I can while still covering the frame rails and see what it looks like.

8. AndersF

AndersF

Here some pics from this thread to help you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, hendelec and loudbang like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Here's a few more views of mine for reference.
    My wheels and tires are different now.
    And, next time it appears all in one piece it will be all painted and plated and pretty :cool: :)
    IMG_0580.JPG IMG_0579.JPG IMG_0581.JPG

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    gonzo, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. Top of bed parallel with and even with the top of the door is good starting place; then tune it to please your eye.

chryslerfan55, loudbang and nobux like this.
  11. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

IMG_5089.JPG IMG_5090.JPG IMG_2564.JPG About 8.5" from the highest point in the back

12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

When the bed is placed too high it looks awkward to me! On the 23-25 I like it when the top of the bed is even with the top of the door. JMO

AndersF, loudbang and nobux like this.
  13. nobux

nobux

Looking through my t-bucket picture file, I have to agree.

The Roland bucket is one of my favorite buckets of all time. He took Ivo's car and made it better. The top of the bed lines up with the top of the cut down touring body.

My mock-up isn't that far off then. The issue I'll run into is with my Model T gas tank. With my kick up, I can't lower the tank. So, it might necessitate a different one. Well, we'll see what happens.

Thanks guys!

chryslerfan55, AndersF and loudbang like this.
  14. RodStRace

RodStRace

Yep, even with the door tops at the same angle
    [​IMG]
    NOT at a different angle!
    [​IMG]

You could go with a 'thick' padded bed cover with a relief underneath to 'cheat' this line and cover the tank bulge in the center.

chryslerfan55, AndersF and loudbang like this.
  15. I think that is the reason some beds end up way to high, trying to fit the bed around the kick-up, tank, and battery instead of tailoring those items around the body's configuration. Over the years, I have built four or five sheet metal tanks to fill the available space once the bed was located.

16. RodStRace

RodStRace

An older post got 'liked' that included this picture.
    I'd say the originals had the bed lower, but most 'buckets' tend toward the "level with the doors to visually flow better AND to cover stuff on the kickup (gas tank and battery).
    DaPeach's looks more 'original'... but I still dig it.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  17. nobux

nobux

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ahhh! The sweet taste of fiberglass dust. I got the bed's front roughed-in to the curve of the body and zip screwed it on. I got a lot more fine tuning to do, hopefully I can get the glass work done before the cold sets in. I think it will work. The bed really fills out the rear nicely.

I'll have to decide on tail lights to replace my single Model A stop light. I'm torn between Pontiac tail lights mounted in the tailgate or '37 Ford tail lights mounted under. The license plate will be under the tailgate. I think the Ford lights, along with the license plate, would visually lower the rear of the bed, but the '50 Pontiac tail lights in the tailgate is such a classic look.

A new gas tank is a necessity. I'll probably follow RichB's advise and just build one to fit my space.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  18. Blake 27

Blake 27

19. nobux

nobux

Beautiful car Blake 27!

20. nobux

nobux

[​IMG]

Check. :D

[​IMG]

21. In my eye that is a perfect T Bucket.:cool::cool: JW

loudbang likes this.
  22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah it looks killer. On the tail light issue how about an oval nerf bar with the plate in the middle and Pontiac’s lights in the ends?

In my head I see it sitting with the bottom of the tail gate being the middle , vertically, of the nerf set up. Not like your dropping the gate on this one.

Just like it up higher so you can still see the spring/ rear axle but some mock ups will tell the truth

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  23. Need to take into consideration; if the lights are mounted in the 'gate, they will take away from gas tank space.
    Unless; of course you use those marvelous new :eek::eek::eek:flat backed LED lights:eek::eek::eek:.

24. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Nobux . Looks 100% better with the bed . Looking good . Bob...............

25. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice build nobux. Read the first few pages about how Chip mounted his radiator.

Rebel

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

tbuketz.jpg

Yes it is, isn't it? Now, imagine it with the windshield chopped in half, no support rods, black wall tires, black "lake style" headers and no P/U bed. Yes....... a real beauty.;) She even has the rake I'm shooting for.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    DaPeach, chryslerfan55 and pcbart like this.
  27. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Nice build Fred. Pretty right on. Grill and radiator are too low but too low is just perfect. That is why you like it. No it is just that. You have already told us all the other things you will change but didn't mention that.Don't build just another bucket. Build this. I met the builder at LARS a couple of years ago. Nice guy. Has an eye for what is right. . Came up and introduced himself and gave me his business card. We had a good talk. Interior is nice. A lot like mine. Probably would look better with cafeteria chars but that is just me. Oh sorry did I say I wouldn't mention those again. No I don't have anything more to do while with my time while watching "The Day The Earth Stood Still" for the umpteenth time. That is probably why I am clinically depressed to krazy as a bed bug. Saw it first only a couple of years after it came out at the Boys Club In Oakland. Scared the shit out of me. Just saw a custom low '50 Ford comfortable in the background. Gork Molinka. Early '50s Packard. New Harley Pan. Klato Beronic Licto. Can't see it too many times. Four star movie.

Rebel

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I like a lot of the styling ques. I'd probably run a T grill shell on it. My head light stands are too tall for such a short grill shell. I like the Guide headlights and had planned on running those as well. But it's the subtle rake that caught my attention and of course the paint color.

29. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Oh well Fred I tried.

30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, I know. You've been doing that for a while. So far, it helps keep me focused.;) Every time I see a Deuce shell on a T Bucket, it makes me think the owner was doing a clone of Norm's car. Not exact, but close. I'm trying to come up with something a bit more original. Might work, might not. Won't know until I try.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017