Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Santa Rosa fire

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pigfluxer, Oct 10, 2017.

1. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I just can’t imagine.....Thoughts with all those affected,stay strong.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

These homes are mostly "stick built" on cement foundations with Douglas Fir 2"x4" or the newer ones 2x6 studs. Most had Tar and gravel paper three tab shingle roofs. Some maybe even wooden shake shingles. Most with cement siding.

The old mobile home park was made up of old "Mobile Homes" that when they were built mostly in the '50s and '60s didn't have to come up to California building codes. They were aluminum covered 2x2 pine studs on a steel trailer frame jacked up on pillars. Not too mobile. No plaster fire resistant wall covering at all. Grandfathered in on site and if moved would have to be brought up to present fire codes or junked. I have a friend up here that did bring one up to current building standards and said when finished it would have been easier to build a new house. I owned and lived in one for a while in this resort/retirement area. The gas fired hot water heater quit working and when I took it out found out that it was surround by the 2x2 pine wood studs and 1/8th inch wood interior panelling in a small closet. It is a wonder that more don't go up in flames. Not saying that is where the fire started.

czuch and chryslerfan55 like this.
  3. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Wow what a picture. Yesterday two friends from Sonoma with vintage motorcycle collections brought them all here, now they are trying to evac.

I'm an old over the hill but still active volunteer fireman. Just got the call to report to the county station this afternoon for local duty, the pros are all out on the front lines. I can still run with a 60lb. hose pack. About 20 ft. Downhill.

Thanks for all the kind replies here. Having read some of the hateful comments regarding California on the internet it's nice to see old car guys don't carry this sentiment.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  4. Hankster32

Hankster32

Any new news on Vern Tardel and the ranch?

5. God Bless everyone! My daughter
    and family are in Orinda. Prayers!

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Hatchet

Hatchet

My mom's house on Rollo Rd burned on Sunday night. My sister and her family have been evacuated, and they are not sure if their house has also been consumed. Lots of tragedy and heartache in NorCal right now.

7. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

This is a real tragedy for everyone affected. Living in S. Florida we live with the threat of hurricanes each year. The photos are heartbreaking. Condolences to those who have lost loved ones. Most possessions can over time be replaced. Dealing with the insurance companies will be another ordeal.
    Hoping the Feds & State step up with aid for those affected. My thoughts are with all of you at this time.

Rick & Jan, chryslerfan55 and Hatchet like this.
  8. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thoughts and Prayers for all.

9. Hemiman 426

Hemiman 426
    from Tulsa, Ok.

10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

11. HELLMET

HELLMET

any updates on vern . ryan

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

I'm very sorry to hear that, but glad the family members were able to evacuate. Does your Sister have any neighbors that didn't evacuate that she can call on to check for her?
    As for your Sister's house if the power is still on at her place you check remotely to see if it's standing:

• If they have a security system, you can log into that to see if the cameras, etc. are still up.
    • If they have Cable TV service, the CATV company has software they can glance at to see if your modems and cable boxes are communicating with the headend. Have her call and inquire if the equipment on her account is actively responding or a "non responder." If the CATV plant is down or in an outage, they'll be able to read that too as the cumulative report will reveal if there are dozens or hundreds of pieces of equipment off-line in her run or node. If they have satellite service, their provider should also have visibility to the set top boxes.
    I work in the CATV industry and used this method to check on the homes of customers and relatives that were evacuated in the huge 2003 and 2007 San Diego fires and were not allowed back into their neighborhoods.

Hatchet and The37Kid like this.
  13. Heard from my cousins....they're okay for now.....prayers going to all !

tb33anda3rd and Hatchet like this.
  14. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:( All I can say is what a mess for all concerned.Wishing all the best.God bless ya all.
    Leo

Old wolf and Hatchet like this.
  15. Hatchet

Hatchet

Thanks for the info- she was able to verify today that it's still standing, but that could change tomorrow.
    Thanks again-

loudbang and Cyclone Kevin like this.
  16. This is really sad man. Wishing everyone all the best.

Hatchet likes this.
  17. 54delray

54delray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Fremont NE

Gut punch .... Lots of people are hurting. I think rural mountain/hillside when I think wildfire. So when I saw Coffey Park neighborhood on the news .... the before and after. Oh no! HAMBer Craig Owens house is just outside of the frame of the picture that gimpysshotsrods put up in post #31. News said nearly every house in that neighborhood is gone.

By some miracle or luck or combination of both, the southeast corner of the neighborhood is still standing. On Wed, Craig told me they are OK 'so far'. Brutal to see that just around the corner and up the street as gimpy pointed out, its all gone. Prayers for all HAMBers and their neighbors, friends and family.
    Bill

Hatchet likes this.
  18. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Back in about '57-'58 I visited for a couple of Summers in Sacramento with my family, who had moved out from GA and bought a new home in a big new development on the South side of town, out on the edge. All the houses had cedar shake shingles on the roof. Understand there are lots of those all over CA?
    I think if I lived there and my home survived this, or if I rebuilt I would insist on a metal roof after all I've read about fist sized embers blowing around in the wind.
    Just hope it is brought to a standstill and extinguished soon for all concerned.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  20. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  22. Deuces

Deuces

A burned up tri five Chevy wagon made the news... The mail man was still making his rounds delivering the mail....
    Sad.... :(

23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There are areas here in Washington that require metal or fire resistant roofs. Often the metal roofs are required for both fire and snow protection.
    I saw on the news last night that several crews that had been fighting the fires around Rosyln Wa were headed to Cali to fight fires. These are seasoned and experienced brush fire fighters with equipment.[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  24. I grew up in a house that had the old corregated tin roof. My folks constructed a new house and insisted on a asphalt shingle roof. a few years later it started leaking. So When I was 40 they had me put new asphalt shingles on the roof. Well 10 years later it started leaking again. They started telling me they where gonna buy the shingles and I could put them on. I told them no way was I ever going to pound a nail in a asphalt shingle ever again. I told them get metal and me and my son would put it on. They resisted but eventually they got a new metal roof. and to hear them tell the story The metal was all their doing. And as far as I know the metal never leaked again It lasted longer than my folks any way. our current home has Masonite siding above the brick. and its badly deteoriated. We plan of replacing it with colored metal in the near future.

PAracer and 48fordnut like this.
  25. late to this party and it is not a party I want to have. Been off most of the week and only caught stuff on FB.

One thing most folks do not realize about fires, once a grassfire, or trees or your neighbors house gets going they generate so much heat. I hot fire 30 yards away can make your drapes combust THROUGH the windows. Your house can literally start burning from the inside out. Temps can go over 1300 degrees easily.

Stay safe, have a bugout plan for ANY sort of event.

Hatchet likes this.
  26. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Dunno, he said it was under the front of a newer F250

27. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

When I bought our Southern Calif home in 1971 Orange County ALL the roofs were cedar shingles. After 46 yrs all have been replaced. By city restrictions no wood shingles allowed. I went with cement tiles but with 18-30" wood eves we are all in danger if a high wind fire started in our tract. Firemen I know all say the tall palm trees we all seem to love become air driven torches causing a lot of spot fires. Until Santa Rosa I thought a flat land housing tract was safe...

Special Ed likes this.
  28. earlyfordalex

earlyfordalex

This is one hell of a sad post. Hopefully they're able to save as many cars as they can or at least they are able to restore them if they are affected by the fire. I'd store every one of them in a warehouse in a neighboring state if I had the time and money to do so.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Melted aluminum?

czuch likes this.
  30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Melted car or truck aluminum wheel.

czuch and Special Ed like this.