Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Obscure Oldsmobile

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Obscure Oldsmobile

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. Sometimes knowing when to stop is the hardest part. Simple, classy and understated.

3. Here's a Stock/custom comparison shot I found on Kustomrama. The post there also mentions Trend Book 105 Restyle Your Car, that may be where this one is from. I believe the caps are actually stock....
    Hal-baud-1950-oldsmobile-5.jpg

Sprout, Ron Funkhouser and Ryan like this.
  4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

I love how the leading photo contrasts the ornate architecture with the clean lines of Hal's Olds!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Yeah, I think you are right... I've always been bad at IDing caps...

Sancho likes this.
  6. Speaking of that lead photo, it has been "retouched". I'm not sure the door panel lines, fenderskirt outline or especially the front wheel openings are accurate. Compare it to this photo (from Rik Hoving's archive).
    HalBaud1950_Oldsmobile_01-vi.jpg

Stogy likes this.
  7. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This happens a lot with images in early magazines. They didn't have the resolution in the printing process to pick up the dynamic range of the actual photo, so they would try to make up for it by adding highlights with a photo pen.

Funny, I like the original photo a lot better... the highlights just look like that flexible fender protector stuff...

I wonder where that photo was taken.

Uncle Bob, Rolleiflex and Sancho like this.
  8. "Sometimes knowing when to stop is the hardest part."
    I actually like the un-retouched photo better.

Ryan and Sancho like this.
  9. Palace of Fine Arts, San Francisco.
    800px-Palace-of-fine-arts-1919.jpg

Stogy, HEMI32, Surfcityrocker and 3 others like this.
  10. About 12 years ago I passed on a 50 Olds that was completely taken apart and there wasn't a speck of rust in that car,the guy had gotten transferred to Tennessee and just wasn't goint to have room for it where he was going.

I have to admit aabout 6 months later I knew I had screwed up and let a real deal get past me,he ended up selling it for 300 bucks and it was all there. HRP

Torchie likes this.
  11. Torchie

Torchie

These "Fast Back" Gm cars have always been great fodder for customs. With them It's more about removing, then adding to. Plus. No need to chop....
    The adjusted stance. Frenched headlights. The removal of trim and door handles as well as the lack of spotlights just add to the smoothness.
    The stock Olds wheel covers were and still are a custom favorite and used in place of the Cadillac sombreros.
    I have a set hanging in my shop that was destined to go on my custom truck if I had run 15" wheels. I got all four in mint condition for the price of one good sombrero.
    With that great Olds OHV V-8 we would have called this one a "Show and Go" when I was younger. :)
    Torchie

Stogy and Sancho like this.
  12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

That car is a perfect example of the beauty of understated elegance.

13. That must have been an early 1950 model as all of the ones I have seen have one piece windshields. Strange that the two piece is featured in the original ad.

14. oldolds

oldolds

That car is a 49. The rocker trim is 49. The pics in post 3 show the different trims.

Chili Phil likes this.
  15. That is what I thought as well but it still doesn't explain the two piece windshield in the rendering.

16. Squablow

Squablow

First period picture of a custom I've ever seen with the tail lights totally shaved off of the body and added to the bumper guards. I've seen quite a few Eurpean customs that use this setup (or very similar) this car is kind of a trendsetter there.

17. oldolds

oldolds

Just looked in my Hollander book. Seems like sedans (2dr and 4dr) 49-early 50's had 2 piece windshield on the 76's and 88's

18. Thanks for clearing that up. I had a couple of 50 Oldsmobiles and they both had one piece windshields.As I recall the 49's didn't use the heater/fresh air inlets under the headlamps but had just parking lamps.

19. Torchie

Torchie

Jesse Lopez Coupe.
    Taillights in the bumper guards.
    Rik did a complete article on this type of Mod over on the Custom Car Chronicle. CCC-bumper-mounted-taillights-jesse-lopez-02.jpg

Sancho likes this.