Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Building a Gasser 51 Desoto coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Austin Hogg, Oct 4, 2017.

1. old sparks

old sparks

be careful about narrowing that front end, you could screw up what is called the ackerman which doesn`t matter if you race it but does come into play on the street. look it up

2. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

I think I am going to stick with my original front end until I can afford the right straight axle.

chryslerfan55 and kiwijeff like this.
  3. AHotRod

AHotRod

Smart decision !

chryslerfan55 and porknbeaner like this.
  4. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

This is what I like to see, good old fashioned ribbing, it's a GAS!

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

kiwijeff likes this.
  5. LOL .This is the HAMB I remember a decade ago!

kiwijeff and jcmarz like this.
  6. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Chwck out the thread about Thumbnail photos

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4speed_mopars and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good decision ,front suspension is not a place to experiment. You can buy rebuild kits for the front end.
    Those cars actually drove pretty good. Drum brakes should be fine with that 6 cylinder .

8. Gassers had an evolution process and gassers had different levels.
    You have to pick an era (year) first, and then figure out what level (letter) you'll be in. Build to that.

If you want a 1964 A/G car you're going to have to build a very different car than a 1958 E/G car. Yet both cars would be called a gasser. Mixing and force fitting the periods and letter classes pretty much leads to confusion because a gasser was not built. It might end up Cool as can be anyway.

9. benchseat4speed

benchseat4speed
    from Golden, CO

How ‘bout we do away with that overused, misunderstood G word altogether.....

‘Building a 51 Desoto into a nostalgia street/strip car on a tight budget....’

There. How’s that sound?

10. As one of the "gasser" curmudgeons (now retired ) that used to rant about REAL gassers here, I vote this is a cool project! The six is cool too.
    Just, fer Pete's sake DON'T jack it up a mile high, alter the wheelbase, put it nose high, no front brakes and , please, no spindle mounts! Build a safe, sound car first with the six, you can always put another motor in it later, have fun and be safe. Build a good basic car you can further modify later.
    I can't really think of many cars that WEREN'T raced in the 60's! Everything ran Gas on local tracks, usually driver skill made the biggest difference. MOST cars didn't run National or even Division events, they wouldn't qualify!
    Many guys rarely if ever won a race.They just dug the drags! Hardly anybody had any real money. It changed as guys got older in the late 60's early 70's and made more cash.

SO! That settles that! Stop bitchin' at this kid!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  11. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Who are you and what did you do with Gary.

12. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

Well instead of I6 I decided to put in 440 V8

brEad, OahuEli, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

That makes the car more interesting. I just couldn't too fired up over a heavy car with a little 6 in it.
    Now the fun begins. If you need to build the motor, mock it up first and get your motor mounts or motor plates all figured out before you spend a bunch of money on a motor that was not going to be the smartest choice.
    Those are heavy engines so a brake upgrade should be high on the list of changes to the car.

OahuEli and Gary Reynolds like this.
  14. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

I only gave 300 for the motor and transmission

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Good score if the block is good.

16. old sparks

old sparks

now you`ve opened up a can of worms. suggest you look for an 8 3/4 or 9 inch rear end. the torque coupled with a heavy car ain`t gonna be nice to the stock rear end. I suggest the 9 inch, the Chrysler brakes on the 8 3/4 are known to be very iffy and getting the drums off can be the pits

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  17. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Good luck with your build and above all enjoy it. I just wish people would say I am building an early 60s inspired ride that you might have seen at the drags running in the street classes of the day. And the over used term Gasser and the cry babys who scream foul when its used would quite down! Larry

18. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

What gauge steel should I use for the floor? I have some bad rust holes around the body mounts what's going to be the best steel to use to fix it?

19. Austin Hogg, I like your attitude. Not a snowflake hurt by words, I'm glad you are taking the constructive criticism well, and taking note.

Beaners just coined a new term, or new to me. "Whale Gasser"! I love that!

Good luck on yer build fella.

chryslerfan55 and Gary Reynolds like this.
  20. southcross2631

southcross2631

Read the NHRA nostalgic racing rules and build the car to that . Making concessions for street use .
    That way if you want to race it at one of the big races like the Hot Rod reunions you can breeze through tech and go have fun and still drive it on the street.

21. That's funny!
    Been busy trying to keep my OT muscle car on the road along with a long series of bad luck.
    Fact is I just don't really care that much, I'm resigned to a losing battle.
    Besides, most everyone gets it by now.....or not.I like this kid!

brEad, chryslerfan55, czuch and 2 others like this.
  22. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

Austin I would use 18 gauge. I am not a big Harbor freight guy but one of their bead rollers will work well enough for you to put a few reinforcement beads to take out the flex that a flat sheet would have. I enjoy it when someone takes the road less traveled. Odd bodies are cool . Larry

23. Mike Colemire

Mike Colemire

Ron Pope can fix you up with disc brakes for it. 865 932 7541 He also has a ebay store and he is a really nice guy. I've bought several things from him, customer service is great and he is very reasonable. A 2000 back explorer has a stout 8.8 rear end, 31 spline, most are posi. The pinion is off set, with 1 long and 1 short side axle. You can pick you up a short side axle and cut 3 inches out of the long side housing tube and you end up with a 56 1/2 inch rear end. Plus they have disc brakes and parts for them are cheap. That's what I done on my 40 in my aviator.

brEad and chryslerfan55 like this.
  24. axel's40

axel's40

heh, just got back into cars after a 25 year hiatus,want to build this 40 plymouth i picked up with the "gasser look", anybody give me a idea how wide (id) the front frame should approximately be for s.b. chev.

25. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

A project car is like a box of chocolates you don't know how rotten it is until you take a bite. The frame is trash I just got done cutting the floor out it's rusted completely threw in some spots. Yay . What's would be best try and fix the frame or find something that will work with the body?

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Maybe rethink your car choice.:confused:

27. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cut cut weld weld grind grind

brEad, Hnstray, 49ratfink and 3 others like this.
  28. southcross2631

southcross2631

You are obviously limited in your fabrication skills or you would not be asking some of the questions you are asking. Either jump in and make it work by fabricating what you need or start on a smaller project and work your way up to a project like this or you are going to end up with a half done money pit that you could otherwise be driving.
    A lot of guys are using S-10 frames under their old cars. They are not traditional, but the have good front suspensions and you can usually get a ragged out truck cheap and use the chassis. Remember to look for something with at least a wheelbase as long as yours.
    Good luck with your project.

29. Austin Hogg

Austin Hogg

My frame is 208.36 in and I have found a frame that will work and bolt up with the 440 mounts. I'm going to use 1985 dodge d150 long bed.

chryslerfan55 and czuch like this.
  30. southcross2631

southcross2631

This build no longer interests me as it has turned into a late model truck with an old car body mounted on it . good luck with it though.
    Far cry from a straight axle gasser and definitely not a traditional hot rod.