Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Rock Auto parts

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Royal50, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Royal50

Royal50

Has anyone ever used parts from rock auto? Like a flexplate, torque converter, etc.

Kbtapply likes this.
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Not those specific parts, but other items::::,suspension parts, gasket sets, etc,.
    Good parts, prompt shipping, good prices....no complaints whatsoever.

Ray

3. I have purchased several parts from them. I have had good luck with them. Not the parts you are inquiring about though. I like dealing with them.

4. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Have always had good experiences with them. Just like a regular auto parts store, keep an eye on the brand of parts you are purchasing.

Hombre, 51 BIRD and Mr48chev like this.

5. I have purchased a couple of master cylinders, a couple of brake boosters, and disk brake pucks, and rear shoes. All the materials I have ordered over the last 2 years, arrive promptly and are good quality.
    You have the option with a lot of the parts to buy name brand or generic giving you lots of options.
    Bob

6. Good source for parts. I believe they buy up inventory from other outlets, since the brands vary all over the map. Try to find the "closeout" brands for very good prices.

Hombre, 51 BIRD and lothiandon1940 like this.
  7. Royal50

Royal50

Thank you. I was curious because I heard good things about them, just never something like a flexplate or torque converter. The price on the flexplate seem pretty cheap at 20 dollars and 64 dollars for a heavy duty.

8. Royal50

Royal50

With cores, how does it works? Do you pay for shipping of the core to them?

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Purchased suspension and brake parts at good prices. Browse the net for a current % off discount code to enter on your order (or maybe a member reading this can share the current code).

shawnsauto1 likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

shipping is the only bugaboo with them. If you are buying a lot of small parts, you can end up with your order coming from several different places, and you pay shipping for each of the boxes. So try to pick parts that all come from the same place (they show each additional package as a letter).

I expect you can read about the core process on their web page. I expect you get to pay for shipping.

I wound up buying a converter from a local parts store (oreillys) mostly because there was no shipping charge for it, or the core. ends up saving money.

and if you ship the converter UPS, be prepared to spend some effort packing it to their satisfaction...it's a pain.

11. tgamueda

tgamueda
    from Denver

12. So what's your project?
    Pics?

13. Royal50

Royal50

Jim, did you see my last post on my other thread? The one with the th350 swap? Please check it out.

14. Royal50

Royal50

I'm doing a transmission swap on a 50 Chevy car. From the old 3 on the tree to a turbo 350 automatic.

15. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I generally like Rock Auto; they have good prices, and on most parts, they will tell you what parts are available from specific manufacturers if they carry multiple lines, allowing you to select the brand you want. Also, at the end of the year, if you are a registered customer, they will send a list of parts available for each of the cars you have listed that are on closeout. I have bought a lot of stuff from them for my old cars. For example, a couple of years ago they had 8BA rod bearings std, .001, and .002 on closeout for less than $20 a set. I bought a set of each. I have already used one set in one of my "econo builds".

That being said, some parts I ordered over a week ago are nowhere to be seen. I have not had this problem before, and I think it is because they are now using DHL drop shipping through USPS. I have two orders "in the pipe" and both are in the status of having been accepted by DHL about 5 days ago. One of these orders is coming to Minnesota from Mason City, Iowa. Also as "Squirrel" says, a five item order can come from five different places with the attendant shipping charges. It's not bad enough (I think) to make me quit using them, though.

ejgloss likes this.
  16. Royal50

Royal50

Thanks Tubman. I will keep that in mind.

17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Recently purchased some factory PCV lines for a newer vehicle. Was reluctant because of past shipping charges. Parts were drop shipped from right near I live and shipping was almost nothing. Parts had factory Ford numbers and tags from a manufactures supplier. Checked Ford factory prices, saved 50 %. Pleasent surprise.

garyf and Royal50 like this.
  18. gene-koning

gene-koning

I've bought a few things from them before. You really have to watch where the parts are coming from. Different Rock Auto warehouses have different brands of parts, so if your willing to get the brands a specific warehouse carries, shipping can be reasonable. If some parts come from several warehouses, it often eats up any discount over locally available parts in shipping costs.
    Sending back a core for anything that had fluid in it is a pita. I generally keep the cores and add in the core price as part of the part costs, then by the time you include shipping, the price may be very close to what I might pay locally. Like any other parts stores these days, you have to compare prices. Don't automatically assume Rock Auto has the lowest prices. Gene

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is the key to Rock Auto, and the good thing or bad thing how ever you want to look at it. Quite often they show several options for the same part. National top rate brand, discount brand and then a discount bran you have never heard of.
    I buy a lot of stuff from them but quite often use their site to help find a part number. I also use it as a price base. I can get it from them for this price in four days, does anyone else have it for a better price and maybe a better deal on shipping? Or is paying a couple of bucks locally a better deal than paying for the part and adding in the shipping.
    If you have an Amazon prime account check Amazon for the part number. Sometimes the beat other prices with shipping included and sometimes they don't but it's worth the minute or so to check.

Denns1989 likes this.
  20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I'll 2nd Squirrels comments about the shipping from multiple sources which can end up a little more costly on some items.
    I've purchased a good range of parts and have never been disappointed by the quality so far.
    I've even had them call me to confirm stuff before sending which surprised me, but I really appreciated the extra effort they were making.

21. Jesse Bailey

Jesse Bailey

Here's a couple 5% off coupon codes

6885028961739197 expires Nov 5th
    6943039062257898 expires Nov 12th

I've had good luck with them and have bought quite a few parts over the last few years. Only problem I've had, which was neither of our faults, was a Melling brass expansion plug kit that was supposed to fit my 170 according to Melling. Well they didn't because they were for a 65 and newer 200/250 but, returning them wasn't bad I just don't get my $3 in shipping back with the return option I chose.

A couple years ago I bought a starter and the core charge was $11 but, it was going to cost me $7 to ship it back so I just kept it. Even with the core and shipping the new starter ended up $30 cheaper than local stores.

wraymen likes this.
  22. southcross2631

southcross2631

Go to Rock Auto and download your price quote then go to the zone or Advance and see if they will match. Some do ,some don't but will usually knock some off their price to not lose the sale.
    Set up a cash commercial account with Advance and get to know the commercial parts guy. A lot of times he will just go find his best customer's discount and give you that price.
    I worked at Advance for 5 years part time and know how it works. The more the counter man knows you the better the price. Makes dealing with cores a lot better.
    Ordered a brake booster from Rock Auto ,they said they had it in stock . Waited a week and got an e-mail saying we don't stock that. Then had to wait 5 days for the funds to show back up on my account. Was not impressed. My customer was not happy either. Ended up going to a company that specializes in old brake boosters. Had my part in 4 days from the west coast.

Royal50 likes this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

I have used Rock Auto.
    It depends on the part.
    My goto store is Carquest.
    I’m a regular there now and they all know me and the builds I do and will bend over backwards to help me.
    I like buying local and supporting my community.
    Yes, sometimes I pay more but to really save I have to take a 6 hour round trip to Maine where I have my parts from the US shipped to.
    Returning those parts for whatever reason is another story!

Royal50 likes this.
  24. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

I buy parts there ,been happy every time. If you buy for a specific car you will get emails for closeouts at dirt cheap prices. At the top of their page is universal parts, check there for switches , bulbs and other stuff.

Royal50 likes this.
  25. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

I've had nothing but good luck with Rock Auto. Only bitch is what Squirrel mentioned about parts being shipped from different locations and you end up paying for more shipping.
    On bad parts. I had a tie rod end that had rusted threads where you couldn't screw it on all the way. Notified them about it and they sent me another one. Didn't even want the bad one back.

Royal50 likes this.
  26. 1pickup

1pickup

Since Monday was a Holiday (Columbus Day) and there was no mail delivery, maybe the system is backed up a little. Be patient grasshopper.

27. With Rock auto, you can look up parts yourself for an 90 year old car, the pimply dude at the auto parts store whines that his list doesn't go back that far.

Plus, each package comes with one of these awesome magnets[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49, deadbeat, XXL__ and 3 others like this.
  28. I like them and there are no surprises about what you are getting. Often they have things that nobody else has for my OT cars.
    I got a gas tank for my Ford, best price by far and $10 to ship. The sender was another $10 to ship as it came from another parts house. I have no complaints since I saved big $$.

Royal50 likes this.
  29. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have had good luck with RA. We live in a commuter car town (Houston) and keeping the DD's going is almost my second job. Like others have said, you should price compare and combine shipping when possible. You have to balance the low price plus shipping versus retail plus sales tax. I can generally find what I need including more obscure parts. I think I'm saving 10-20% overall compared to buying local. But they don't turn rotors or drums

Sent from my SM-G550T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Royal50 likes this.
  30. khead47

khead47

Have bought many items from them and am very satisfied, but if all I need is one or two parts, I prefer to pay a small premium over RA price and buy from my local Mom and Pop store. The owner is a Rodder and I have never stumped him on a question.