Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Opinion....What tag year is more appropriate.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PHIL COOPY, Oct 11, 2017.

1. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

IMG_1015.JPG I am building a late 40's/early 50's '27 T Tudor. I am trying to keep it pretty period correct. I have a 1927 Florida tag for it but after thinking about it I thought it that might also be more "period" if I used a 40's-50's tag. I'd like to hear some opinions.....
    Phil

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017
  2. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I get what you are asking. However, AFAIK, the 'YOM' plates (Year of Manufacture) is what statutes refer to. But, that said, maybe it could mean 'Year of Modification'.....I like that! :D

Ray

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. ididntdoit1960

ididntdoit1960
    from Western MA

If you're trying to actually register the car, I believe it is YOM only - the law is usually geared towards restorers not hot rodders.....for display, a plate within the time frame your building it would make the most sense - I always laugh when I see a 60s perfect Deuce with YOM plates on it.......looks just as out of place as billet wheels

Stogy, lurker mick and pecker head like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

have you figured out how to legally run a 40s-50s tag on a 27 car? I think it's possible in some states...might take a little trickery though.

5. Are you talking about actually registering it? or just sticking it on for shows etc.?

In Kansas you can use a YOM (Year of Manufacture) tag or a "current" Antique tag.
    However, to register to the car an original plate must be the same year as the car.

Stogy and lothiandon1940 like this.
  6. Use your 1927 Florida plate, assuming they allow that, or you may be opening one of these.:D can-of-worms.jpg

7. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

I hit the same problem.....my 32 roadster is built as if it was made into a hot rod in 1947. So I found a like-new 47 Arizona plate and took it to the registration people.... nope, has to be a 1932 plate for YOM. So, I put the 47 plate on the car at shows, take it off to drive home (sometimes).

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  8. squirrel

squirrel

the trick might be to get a normal personalized plate with the numbers/letters on your 47 tag, then when you pick up your new plate, hopefully they don't put the sticker on it. If they do, you might need to wait until registration comes due, and you get a new sticker in the mail, to put the 47 plate on the car.

I think that the folks who register cars, and the folks who enforce the traffic laws, probably don't have much interaction...and you could probably get away with it for a long time.

dan31, Hnstray and chevy57dude like this.
  9. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

As per Squirrel... The original plate is a 1927 Colorado. Never hassled on the road, however I did get a parking ticket! The car is registered as a 1999 Homebuilt with a bonded titled. DSC02397.JPG

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  10. Stick to a YOM and avoid a lot of problems,remember your dealing with the DMV and they can make your life miserable. HRP

FlyFisher likes this.
  11. squirrel

squirrel

....or stick it to the MAN, like hot rodders used to do

scotty t likes this.
  12. Gman0046

Gman0046

A 1947 tag on a 32 Ford would mean nothing. Looks as if you couldn't find a YOM tag.

13. This is exactly why I am not running a vintage plate. It would be a 1965 PA. Not allowed. Mr. Jim, very creative!

14. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

"Year of Modification" , while it's a creative idea, very few people are going to "get" it. Unless you just enjoy explaining that to every knucklehead that comes along, stick with the actual YOM. Good luck

mike in tucson likes this.
  15. It varies from state to state. In Missouri you can register any year plate if you register it as a vanity plate and not a YOM.

I don't know what is appropriate or legal in Florida.

16. squirrel

squirrel

If the number on the plate matches the number on the registration, and you have a current sticker on the plate, it should be legal, right?

I suppose you could hire a lawyer first to read the fine print in the state statutes

17. They can be a real headache, especially if you ever plan on leaving your neighborhood.
    My little brother was running a '74 plate on his '74 Harley, it was actually originally his plate originally and the first plate ever run on the bike. Back then you didn't get a sticker every year you got a new plate every year in Missouri. He got his bike impounded in Wisconsin. They finally let him and the bike go.

I guess my problem with that stuff is that I am more of a convenience guy and not a cool guy. I don't like dealing with legal issues just because the officer in question is not well informed.

upspirate likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

Things have changed over the years....

19. As a spectator, your plate won't make me love your rod any more or any less. I can sort of see the point on a restored, "collector" vehicle. But any kind of rod or custom, YOM or YOStyle has been surpassed, bypassed and rehashed, so it's pointless to me.

But if a certain plate enhances your personal enjoyment, I do understand that and I won't rain on your parade. Go for it! What ever you pick, you got my vote.

20. Only purpose of a YOM plate to me is to tell people what year the car is....

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

21. dan31

dan31

Maybe you could get a 40's or 50's inspection sticker from Bob Hoyts classic inspection sticks on the internet. There like $25 bucks and won't cause you any hassle with the fuss.

22. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

"If the number on the plate matches the number on the registration, and you have a current sticker on the plate, it should be legal, right?

I suppose you could hire a lawyer first to read the fine print in the state statutes"

Well as they say, it's easier to get forgiveness than permission.
    I think if you got cited for an improper plate, you could present evidence to the court that your car is properly registered, and bearing a genuine Florida plate with the correct numbers/letters.
    From my experience in traffic court (although in a different country!) the judges are pretty reasonable and fair, I would think you would have a pretty good chance of getting off.

23. easy......get a 1927 Florida plate that says 1955 on it

24. Squablow

Squablow

I had thought of the same thing for my T, but Wisconsin just recently wrote up a vague YOM plate law that says you can go to or home from a car show or event with YOM plates in place of collector plates, I am going to mount '26 plates onto my roadster and make some kind of quick disconnect for the regular plates over the top.

If your build really is correct to a certain year, that'd make more sense, but I'm not sure it would be worth the potential hassles from the law.

25. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know about every state but in Missouri there are a couple of advantages. The main ones to me are that there are never any more annual inspections at $12 each plus the time. And no more standing in line at the DMV for the renewal.

The other interesting thing about Missouri is that they have an annual personal property tax. This is a tax on people for simply owning something. We have already paid the state sales tax on a vehicle but the personal property tax on vehicles, trucks, farm acreage, livestock, etc., comes every year. In order to obtain current registration on cars, boats, airplanes, etc. one must present a paid personal property tax receipt. Early each year the county sends out a form onto which one must list personal property. If a person had a larcenous heart that person could take the YOM vehicles off the list as personal property since the YOM license does not need renewal.

At least that is what I've been told.

26. Maryland is about the same. "Historic" plates (with or without YOM) are cheap, no inspection and don't need renewal. My comment was regarding trying to have a specific year plate on the car that was not YOM

27. A Boner

A Boner

YOM plates look correct on a stocker restoration. On a 50's style hot rod , they look confused.

roundvalley likes this.