Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects =Rebuilding the Plymouth Flathead=

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by =StreamlineDeco=, Dec 8, 2008.

1. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

It seems like lately there have been circumstances that have held back progress on the flatty. Here is a little update on the work that's been done recently. Currently, I'm struggling with my lower-end installation. Story goes like this: Years ago, before I found the 230, I was just looking for a flathead for my project and located a, reasonably priced, 218. After teardown and finding out the cracked block was pretty much worthless, I found the 230 and began the work on it. A few years, and piles of parts later, I have been looking through trying to find parts that belonged to the 230. The #1, #2, and #3 main bearing caps were discovered to be the wrong ones once mocked up with the main bearings. The rear main bearing cap doesn't even take the bearing. This led me to believe, somehow, I misplaced the original bearing caps with the 218 caps and somewhere down the line lost the 230 caps. Recently, I located a useable set of #1, #2, and #3 caps. These fit perfectly, however, I am now looking for a rear main cap. My plan is to line bore these once I get 'em all so I can continue with the rebuild. It has been a mission to figure this out, but I have been learning a lot in the process. Here are some photos of the progress as of yet.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Nice to see you back on the board. I am sure someone will be able to help out with a rear cap.

3. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

My first hop up was a 1947 Plymouth in 1954. Bored .030, .060 off the head, split exhaust manifold, Smitthy mufflers, HD clutch. Wasn't a Ford up to a 1951 that could beat me. Had a lot of fun in that car

4. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Nice! I can't wait to get this thing running, already! It's been one thing after another with the rebuild. Still looking for a rear main cap, which I'll need to line bore with the rest to get this thing up and running!

5. Big Swede

Big Swede

Just when it was getting good! Any updates?

6. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Hey everyone still alive and getting a little more time for the plymouth project! Gonna get this bottom end buttoned up and begin assembly in the coming week. Pics later

6inarow likes this.
  7. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Dude! When you started this thread 8 years ago you were rocking and rolling.

In between your getting high-centered and today, I redid the motor in my '49. Here's a photo:

IMG_4055.JPG

BTW, did you ever sort out your rear main bearing cap dilemma?

Nice to see you back, now get her done!

8. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Damn!!! Got hooked on reading this thread and got completely into it and it just crashed and burned rapidly!! Any update on this motor? I'm rebuilding my 265 flathead and hope it's doesn't crash and burn the way this project appears to have gone.
    Any updates?

9. 6inarow

6inarow

Yeah I hope it continues too. I have always dug these old flatheads

10. 64Kaddy

64Kaddy
    from SoCal

Bump. Does anyone happen to have pictures of this engine complete or in progress. I plan on painting my recently rebuilt 265 flathead the same color and would like to see the engine complete.
    The post is so old that the pictures that where previously posted are no longer available

11. Globe 52

Globe 52

As a NZ,er I have followed this thread with much interest. Have just picked up a mint barn find De Soto Diplomat.
    3 speed manual ( no fluid drive). Australia new and shipped to NZ some time ago and faultless. In fact I feel privileged to have stumbled across it and have it in my possession. It has a side valve six in what looks like excellent condition, but it has some piston slap . Now I know they can go for some time in this condition ,but I am considering a rebuild.
    Hopefully only a rebore and liners, but this forum has given me some food for thought on other technical upgrades .
    Hats off to Streamline for attempting it ,and also Plym49 for his input. Thanks guys from here in NZ.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Thank you for the kind words!

You likely do not need to rebore and most certainly not liners. Remove the ridge, hone the bores, and knurl the piston skirts. Oops, first check that the ring grooves are not worn (vertically). As long as the ring grooves are not widened, the pistons are reusable. Knurling will solve the slap and the grooves entrap oil. You can knurl the skirts for a perfect fit in each bore.

13. Globe 52

Globe 52

Thanks Plym49. Dealing with a flat head six for the first time here. Most of my other cars have been either Flat head V8 or more newer Chrysler Nail Heads. Finding experts on older style engines to a very fine degree of technical knowledge is not easy here in NZ, even allowing for the fact we are the South Pacific center of petrol head Heaven, and there are some very fine engine rebuilders around.

14. 46dodgewc

46dodgewc

This is cool. Great job on the engine build. I have a flathead I'm going to rebuild for my truck. Similar story, the engine that came with the truck was cracked and junk. I found a T block out of an early dodge truck . I'm going with an edgy aluminum head, split exhaust with double carbs. Nothing will be done to the engine except what I have to do to clean it up

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. Nostalgics46FM

Nostalgics46FM

Just got to the end of this thread and really looking forward to seeing the end result. Learned a lot on this thread... just bought a 59 Plymouth Savoy flat six with 3 spd for my 36' Chrysler Airstream.... looking forward to tearing into it...

Great work...

16. 40desoto

40desoto

I don’t think we’ll actually see the end result. The OP was over 10 years ago

17. 40desoto

40desoto

Did your 36 Airstream come with a 23 or 25” Block?

18. Gabriel Carvalho

Gabriel Carvalho

Hello Everyone
    First, congratulations =StreamlineDeco= for the great job.

I'm restoring a 42 Dodge D22 Custom at Brazil and need a little help with engine color. Searching on web I found some engines with a grey color and realize that is the right color. Today I found this rebuild projeto and saw that the color =StreamlineDeco= painted is near of what I have (below picture). Whats the right factory color? Or they have a different color according with the year?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english.

20161218_124230.jpg

19. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Hi Gabriel, don't worry about your english, you are doing fine. To the best of my knowledge the factory painted the engines silver like in the attached picture. What I found doing research was,

"Aluminum Silver - Mopar P4529148.
    • Most 1940s to early 1960 engines, including most of the early Hemis and 1950s Poly engines were painted this color. Silver was also used on all the flathead 6's except that the performance option in the 30's included a high compression head that was painted bright red."
    • Hope that helps.

• 1952 dodge pu 53118_4.jpg

20. j hansen

j hansen

21. Gabriel Carvalho

Gabriel Carvalho

22. hkestes

hkestes

Here is a link to the P15-D24 site that shows engine paint info including the engine accessories.

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/reference/p15_reference.html/

23. meezy

meezy
    from brooklyn

Hey plym49 - I found a posting of yours from a long time ago where you commented thusly:

" I would suggest relocating the upper end of the front shocks from the upper a-arm to the frame. There are kits for this. This one change makes the most profound change in the cars handling."

My ride handles like shite around curves. Would love to learn more about this kit you're referring to. Which is it?
    Thanks!

24. raff23089

raff23089

Front shock relocation. http://rustyhope.com/site/shock-arms/

meezy likes this.
  25. meezy

meezy
    from brooklyn

40desoto likes this.
  26. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Hi everyone, haven't posted here in ages but wanted to let you know I still have the flathead. The project was put on hold forna few years and I have gone through a few projects in the meanwhile. Sold some bought some and got myself another Plymouth. This one will get the transplant as I'm still working on the flathead motor. Currently relocating and will begin assembly as soon as the shop is in order. These days I don't have as much free time as I used to. Since then I got married and we have a 2 year old - future kustomizer :) so my posting time is limited. If anyone is still interested, I have my project on social media. My instagram handle is: streamlinedeco46. Hope to see everyone there. Here is a shot of the new project: '46 Plymouth Special Deluxe Coupé.

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  27. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

28. Sactownog

Sactownog
    from SAN DIEGO

great write up.

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Wow man, your new project is sick looking. Would love to see the finale of the flat 6 build. Congrats on the family man, a worthwhile distraction for sure.

30. =StreamlineDeco=

=StreamlineDeco=

Thanks! I'm compiling some photos of the machining for the main caps I obtained. Reassembly soon.

Hillbilly Werewolf likes this.