Register now to get rid of these ads!

YOM Plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57 Fargo, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Any one in Alberta Running year of manufacture plates? My local registry says can't be done but other people have said it's possible. If anyone has any experience with it please let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never figured why anyone would want a YOM plate on anything except a fully restored to showroom stock rig. A plate from the year the build closely matched would be cool though as where were you in 62?
    Went to an event a few weeks ago where there were some 60's rigs running 20's with YOM plates and that was really lame. Nothing was 60 something about one car except the body shell and sure not the rims or the LS engine.

dan c and 55 Ford Gasser like this.
  3. Thanks for the constructive reply....seriously though I have no issue with everyone having their opinion. I guess we all have our own reasons for doing what we do with our vehicles. I for instance do not care for chopped pickups but have nothing but respect for the work and effort you have put into yours! That's what makes this hobby fun, we are all different.

4. Yeah,YOM license plates are lame,that's why I have them on two of our cars! :D HRP

upload_2017-10-10_10-27-36.jpeg

upload_2017-10-10_10-29-34.jpeg

Early Ironman, Gman0046 and Hotrodmyk like this.

5. Don't we discuss this about once a month?

Bandit Billy likes this.
  6. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

don't know about regs in alberta, but in missouri, yom plates are considered "historic vehicle" plates and restrictions apply. supposed to keep a log, etc., etc.

7. I just wanted to know if any body ran them in Alberta not if they were "cool"

8. I looked at the Alberta government site. HERE

And this is what I found.

Types of licence plates
    Alberta issues a variety of standard and specialty licence plates and permits.

For short-term registrations we offer an in-transit permit.

Antique
    An antique passenger or motorcycle plate is available for vehicles or motorcycles that are 25 years old or more and will be only used in the following ways:

• as a collector’s item in exhibitions
    • in club activities
    • in parades
    • as transportation to and from these events
    • as transportation to servicing appointments
    To get an antique plate, you must meet the following criteria:

• provide acceptable identification
    • the vehicle must be a minimum of 25 years old
    • if it’s imported, you need an import form
    • have proof of ownership
    • if the vehicle is from outside Alberta, you have a vehicle inspection.

Before the YOM bill was passed many guys would use a YOM tag and if pulled over they would say - Oh,I forgot to change it back, I was at a show and pull the registered tag out from under the seat and show the officer. HRP

9. Thanks HRP, I found that as well but was told by registry agent that it was incorrect. I did call a registry in Lethbridge in southern Alberta , where they have a big car culture, a gentleman there told me you can order new YOM plates and drive with no restrictions. They are a new plate that looks just like whatever year you want. So this is the way I will be going. Hopefully I can get it sorted out in our small town registry. The antique plate they refer to online is a generic plate that says antique vehicle and is subject to all the restrictions listed.

10. Slow down

Slow down

Go to the Ontario site, I would think the rules should be the same or very close to that of Alberta. YOM plates in Ontario is a breeze . A little on the expensive side but worth it . That’s my opinion and I’m sticking with it.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

11. Yes,I hear you on the antique plate,here there are a lot of restrictions if you have this plate. HRP

sc-antique.jpg

12. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just like in Missouri, USA. Keep calling around until you get the answer you want or need.

13. We have very few old cars in our little area, I think I just needed a bigger center that had more experience with specialized conditions

14. It does look like it's s breeze out there but nothing the same as I've been told

15. I go through a lot of vehicles and always have my paperwork in order. One registration required a little bit of thinking, but nothing crazy, to register. Of course, a little bit of thinking is way too much to ask and the person behind the desk at the St. Charles, MO DoR, and she refused to comply. I pulled up their own website to show her that I had everything in order, dotted my i's and crossed my t's, and she said, "Yeah, well.. we can't control what's on our website." I asked, "If you don't, then who does?" She wasn't amused and wrote in pen ON MY ORIGINAL TITLE that I was missing ...whatever... paperwork and handed it back to me.

I carefully crossed it off, went to another location one town over, and everything went through smoothly.. because I had all the paperwork required and just had practice of how to talk the desk jockey through the mental gymnastics of processing my paperwork.

16. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

You know those regional DMV offices in MO are private concessions, right? If you are lucky enough to own that concession you own a business with guaranteed income, no competition and no risk. The governor gets to assign the contract, so if you donate enough to the campaign, you get payback in the form of a license office contract. How's that for efficient privatization of public functions?

egads likes this.
  17. jazz1

jazz1

Ontario and Alberta have no similarity in plating. YOM is available in On. but $250! Have you seen any old Alberta plates on vehicles in ALBERTA? If so ask owner, maybe there is a way.

18. As I said in a previous post, apparently we can buy new plates that are the same as the old and register as normal, in my case they will be a 1957 plate that will be new but look like one from 57

19. Gman0046

Gman0046

YOM tags look lame? Not on my cars. IMG_0802.JPG

20. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Oh, yes, I know it. And no two of them operate the same way.

egads likes this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well I have in the gov't envelope, never issued, with the protective tissue between the plates, '32 Albrta plates. They should accept those! However I'm in BC so I just hang onto them until someone is willing to pay for them in order to finish my '32 5W.

22. There is another alternative to YOM plates. Wisconsin allows YOM plates on your car, but I decided that I wanted some plates more build era appropriate for the '35. So I found some nice 1961 Wisconsin Plates. Can't technically register them to the car, so I got new personalized plates with the same number on them. I run the '61 plates on the car, keep the new plates in the glove box. If anyone runs the plate number, it will come back to the correct car, with current registration. If asked, I'll pull the old "forgot to take them off after the show" bit. Haven't had a problem yet.

23. goldmountain

goldmountain

I had time to go to the local registry office yesterday and was told that YOM plates can be used here in Alberta. I know of one old truck that runs an old plate (don't know the owner personally) and the story is that you register your old plate but you keep another current plate in the trunk or whatever. I haven't heard of the new/old plate story and forgot to ask about it. In my case, I don't think it would work since a 1926 Alberta plate is smaller than the newer ones.

24. patterg2003

patterg2003

25. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

I think you misunderstood. Alberta is not re-manufacturing old license plates from every year.
    From the lethbridgevehicle.com website:
    "Alberta also allows the use of vintage license plates for antique cars provided the car is specially registered as an antique vehicle and the issued antique plate and registration are kept inside the vehicle for inspection upon demand by law enforcement. "
    This means Alberta will issue you a generic new Alberta plate with the word "Antique" embossed on it. All of these Antique plates are the same, no matter what year car you have. You keep this plate under your seat and it is up to YOU to find a 1957 Alberta plate to display on your truck.

26. I didn't misunderstand at all, that is exactly what i was told, i even repeated it to make sure i was correct. this is why i asked for anyone with first hand experience because i have read whats on the website as well. The problem with registering it with an antique plate is you are restricted to what you can use the vehicle for, can't drive it everyday. Only for parade or to and from shows. If anyone actually speaks to someone as i did then i would appreciate the info, again i am going by what one person who works at a registries told me.

27. Where are you located?

28. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

OK, Good luck!

29. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Technically Beaner, it is now November so it is time to beat this horse some more. Giddyup

30. goldmountain

goldmountain