Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbi9c1

fbi9c1

2. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I think Ensley was a home town Indy guy with family money and pull behind him. Typical USAC/Speedway deal.

Does anyone know anything about the sports racer he had Wally Meskowski and Joe Silnes build for him? Beautiful lines, something like the best of Scarab meets Birdcage Maserati, bad race car. Bud Gates ended up with the car and Jimmy Daywalt drove it in the initial Hoosier Gran Prix.

Bocar Stiletto and loudbang like this.
  3. Just don't get a room next to the elevator in that place! Ask me how I know.

4. slowmotion

slowmotion

^^^The look on her face says "Good Vibrations!"

Bowtie Coupe and loudbang like this.
  5. Eagle Electric v ?? in GREAT 1966 Northwest AA/FD action! Again kids, no burnouts! This is the smoke 'em RUN! What a great time!
    [​IMG]

Bowtie Coupe, j-jock, Oilguy and 2 others like this.
  6. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

29bowtie, j-jock, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  7. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

You are correct, Jim. It is Don Edmunds. I had to look it up to find that Ensley took his test in the Ansted Rotary car in 1958. And the photo was taken in '58 because there is no roll bar. USAC made them mandatory starting in 1959.
    I got mixed up for sure but Ensley did drive the car in 1959 and like you said never did manage to qualify.

Edit: Now I notice that McKay has a fuel tank in the pit behind Edmunds so this photo was actually taken in 1957 when Don made the race and was Rookie of the Year. Fuel tanks weren't allowed in the pits until after Time Trials were over and everyone had chosen their pits based on speed. Don was back in the car in '58 but basically gave up the ride to Unser.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
    loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. KRB52

KRB52
    from Conneticut

You can tell she's doing yard work, she's not wearing a pearl necklace.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-10-9_16-39-31.png
    Hey 31D,
    My wife and I know all about rooms next to elevators in most resorts or hotels. When we were traveling to Las Vegas back in the 60's, my dad had some connections and secured a free room for us many times. This one time, it was right next to the elevator on the 6th floor of the Riviera Hotel. Within 30 minutes, there were at least 15 trips up and down the elevator. The elevator sound could be soothing, but it was the groups of people plus the elevator sounds that became irritating immediately.

That old Riviera is now gone, but when we were there, all it took was a call to the front desk, mention my dad's contact, and whoosh... We were in the top floor away from all elevators and had a tremendous view of the strip. For some reason, never explained to us by my dad, we/he never had to pay for the rooms, when checking out. It was a smile, and the quote: "It has already been taken care of, sir." WOW...the power of friends.

Jnaki
    Since we have been in our share of multi-story hotels all across the USA/Mexico and Europe, we can imagine the sounds coming from constant use of those elevators, especially in a heavy traffic, popular hotels and resorts.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. Or "I'm REALLY drunk!"

chryslerfan55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.