Register now to get rid of these ads!

Phil DeRosa Estate Auction Report w/ Pics

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by notebooms, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Gary Faules

Gary Faules

Scott,

I’m deeply touched by your generosity. I won’t even begin to tell you how this means to me. Now if I can just find out where to click to PM you!

I live very close to Phil’s place. I would be more than glad to reimburse you for such a treasure.

Regards,

Gary

QUOTE="notebooms, post: 12256282, member: 10315"]Gary Faules,

Thanks for sharing your connection to Phil, his history, as well as some of your own.

I just talked to Phil's leather work notebook that i acquired at that auction and it just told me that it wants you to have it. Who am i to not listen? :)

Send me a PM here, or reach out to me at notebooms at me dot com so that I can get it to you. I live and work in downtown San Jose and am totally happy to get it to you...

BTW: It was nice to pull up and re-read this story I loved spending the day at Phil's place, and wish i had the honor of meeting him under different circumstances....

-scott[/QUOTE]

charleyw and Squablow like this.
  2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

When I saw it I thought wow what a car, would love to drive that around :)

3. Gary Faules

Gary Faules

Phil always drove it in parades. It was tricky to drive with all of its pedals. You had to see it it appreciate it.

QUOTE="Torana68, post: 12256362, member: 48156"]When I saw it I thought wow what a car, would love to drive that around :)[/QUOTE]

4. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

It's good to know there are still some really good folks left in this world.I don't know you Scott, But that was a damn nice thing to do.May a truck load of 32's land in your yard!!Real Henry type too .

dan31 and Gary Faules like this.
  5. Gary Faules

Gary Faules

I thought the same thing but the truth is, this has just reassured me that this is just how car guys are. What we need in this world are fewer politicians and more car guys.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dan31, Evil Emery, Chavezk21 and 3 others like this.
  6. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

7. upspirate

upspirate

"If you are on a PC, scroll over his avatar on the left, and it says start a conversation. Mobile app.....I'm clueless"

8. Gary Faules

Gary Faules

Thanks! I used to be famalier with this forum and was on here often and made some great friends but been off so long I had forgotten. Its all coming back now.

9. Gary Faules

Gary Faules

There are moments when words just aren’t enough. And today was just such an example.

Several years ago while I was on safari in Africa, a dear friend of mine past away without me knowing. Not only did I miss the chance to say good bye but I also missed his services and less importantly, his estate sale. While missing the latter didn’t seem important at the time, I just happen to see an article in a forum that caught my eye some years later. It was about my friends estate sale including photos of many of his amazing and rare antique automobiles and other items. Over the years I found myself going back for more looks as I was the only other person who had ever driven each of this amazing collection. I was so deeply emotional each time I looked that I found myself unable to write.

But a few weeks ago, having waited literally years I finally replied along with many others comments. I mentioned that one items the gentleman who wrote the article had purchased that really caught my attention was a simple leather bound notebook which included some of my deceased friends business cards, business stationary with his letterhead, and other personal belongings.

A few days later, this gentleman wrote, “I just talked to Phil’s leather work notebook that I acquired at the auction and it told me that it’s wants you to have it. Who am I to not listen?”

Well today as I sat down in my recliner my gal said A package had arrived and handed it to me. When I opened the box and saw what it was I was speechless and my eyes began to swell. Right there in my lap sat Phil’s notebook, the very same one he used to draw details of plans he and I would work on or other notes. And if it wasn’t fantastic enough, inside I found Phil’s contractors state license from 1952. It was as if my dear friend had come to say hello and in doing so allowing me to say my goodbye to him.

What an amazing and unselfish gesture by a man who didn’t know me from Adam. I’m deeply touched. Once again proving car guys are a great group of gentleman.

Thank you , Scott (Noteboom)

PS: if I knew a better place to share this story in H.A.M.B. I certainly would.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    charleyw, das858, dan31 and 5 others like this.
  10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's where one man's really cool estate sale find becomes another's memory filled treasure.

The37Kid, Thor1 and Gary Faules like this.
  11. notebooms

notebooms
    Alliance Member

Gary Faules-- Haven't been here in a long time and just saw your nice note when you received this notebook. I'm happy for you, which makes me equally happy..... Hope all is great, -scott noteboom

das858, dan31, s55mercury66 and 5 others like this.
  12. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

I like that gesture a lot ,thanks Scott

The37Kid likes this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

Missed this thread when it was first posted, very happy to read it all today. Bob

14. Notebooms, you are a good man.

The37Kid, dan31 and harpo1313 like this.
  15. dan31

dan31

^^^ I'll 2nd that.

16. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great thread.Thanks for bringing it back.There ARE some really swell folks in this old world.Thank God for small favors.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo