Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Ford assembly plant at Seaview, near Wellington, New Zealand on the occasion of the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1954. Hutt Royal Tour 54.jpg

2. MG Magnette on display in a menswear store - late 1950s. MG late 50s.jpg

3. Truck - make unknown - Petone, New Zealand, 1920s. petone truck 20s.jpg

4. An English Star truck at the Upper Hutt, New Zealand, railway goods shed circa 1920s. Star truck 20s.jpg

j-jock, tinsled, Dago 88 and 3 others like this.
  5. Upper Hutt, New Zealand, circa mid 1910s(?). Note the guy with the shovel collecting the horse guano. Car looks to be a Ford T touring. Wgtn 10s.jpg

Dago 88 and Dave Mc like this.
  6. Downtown Wellington, New Zealand, 1920s, probably a Hudson car in the foreground. Wgtn 20s.jpg

7. Wellington, New Zealand, 1958. Car is a 1957 Holden, the first Holden model to be assembled in NZ. Wgtn 58.jpg

8. American troops in Wellington, New Zealand, probably 1942. Yanks WW2.jpg

9. 4everblue

4everblue

http://www.roadkillontheweb.com/truck.html

LOU WELLS, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  10. noboD

noboD

Australia and New Zealand are two of the VERY few foreign countries I would like to see. They have both been very good allies to the US. I have several friends that live there.Only thing is you have too many animals that can kill me, like all of your snakes.

11. What is a reefer jacket? I know what reefer is, but I didn't know there was a special coat for it!

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  12. hudson48

hudson48

Australia does have some venomous snakes but very few deaths attributable to bites. So come on over and enjoy!!
    More dangerous animals in USA I would think. Bears for instance.
    The estimated incidence of snakebites annually in Australia is between 3 and 18 per 100,000 with an average mortality rate of 0.03 per 100,000 per year. Between 1979 and 1998 there were 53 deaths from snakes, according to data obtained from the Australian Bureau of Statistics.
    I looked up New Zealand and found this:
    New Zealand has no harmful animals like venomous snakes, scorpions or venomous insects, so its sole venomous native spider – the rare katipō – has almost mythical status. Since the late 19th century there have been accidental introductions of the venomous redback and white-tailed spiders from Australia.Sep 24, 2007.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. I had to look this one up. Traditionally I think it is a double breasted jacket but the name is more commonly applied to a slightly more formal blazer. When I was at high school in '60s, the uniform jacket we wore was referred to as a reefer jacket. Like a lot of things maybe the original meaning has become blurred. https://www.dunhill.com/experience/...azer-project-charting-the-history-of-an-icon/

14. Lil32

Lil32

Paul.
    I hear that trouser snakes are dangerous if a girl is bitten by one
    they get sick for nine months

15. I did some looking, and there were trucks marketed under the Desoto name. The trim looked identical to the Fargo that was marketed in Canada.
    The only deluxe Dodge and Fargo trucks I remember from back then, had the box with fins from the Dodge Custom Royal.

Attached Files:

NHRANUT, chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  16. Todd Motors assembly plant in Petone, near Wellington, New Zealand, picture date 15 January 1960. Petone assembly 15 Jan 1960..jpg

17. swi66

swi66

18. Bocar Stiletto

Bocar Stiletto
    from New Jersey

Hemi, yes it's an Echidna. I'm not sure if it's the one Larson drove- at this race (at Lynndale Farms) it was driven by Richard Roe; and it was either still owned by Jerry Hansen who was letting him race it, or Hansen sold it to him when he bought the Scarab that he destroyed the first time he drove it. It was painted that distinctive metallic maroon/bronze color Hansen always used.

chryslerfan55 and loudbang like this.
  19. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-10-9_4-36-34.png Ashland, Oregon 1960
    Hello,

Nice old 60’s photo of downtown Ashland, Oregon. After one of our long driving trips from So Cal, in 1996, up to the Pacific Northwest, specifically, Portland, we had some kind of an emergency. Namely, no hotel rooms for 100+ miles in either direction on I-5. (an antique show and a major race at the Portland Raceway on the same weekend, great planning…)

So, we drove back south until around 150 miles, off of the I-5 somewhere between Portland and Roseburg we found one place with one room left. The next day, we drove to Ashland for lunch and to wander around the famous Shakespeare Grounds. No performances at the time, so the town and the showcase grounds were not as crowded as on a normal Festival day.

Jnaki

It was a great place to visit and dine. From that great lunch, we went South and East to Klamath Falls, then Alturas, CA. and down the lonely 395 all the way to Reno.

Ashland Springs Hotel in the background built in 1925
    upload_2017-10-9_4-41-10.png 1925
    upload_2017-10-9_4-40-37.png 1960
    upload_2017-10-9_4-41-35.png 2012

“It was in 1960 that the Lithia Springs Hotel, also known as the Lithia Hotel, became The Mark Antony and an English Tudor theme was introduced to tie into the growing Oregon Shakespeare Festival. The number of rooms was reduced and refurbished. A swimming pool was built (recently replaced with a walled garden courtyard) and the ballroom expanded.

By 1997 the once proud and elegant hotel was again closed and abandoned. The original furniture had been auctioned off and the hotel was in desperate need of complete restoration and revitalization. A near miracle would have to transpire to resurrect this historic property with such glorious bones.

In 1998 Doug and Becky Neuman purchased “The Mark” and started a complete basement-to-parapet remodel of the hotel. Their vision was to restore the hotel to its original grandeur. It would take a special team to make this vision a reality. Candra Scott and Richard Anderson of Candra Scott and Anderson, who specialize in historic restorations, were asked to create the interiors for the hotel. WestCoast Hospitality was hired as the management team. The now 70-room hotel was to be called the Ashland Springs Hotel. State-of-the-art systems were installed, including mechanical, electrical, heating and air conditioning. It continues its early tradition of “equal in luxury to any hotel in Oregon.”

upload_2017-10-9_4-43-58.png upload_2017-10-9_4-44-14.png
    Ashland: Oregon Shakespeare Festival Grounds

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

21. echo ed

echo ed
    from fla.

22. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

23. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

Jack Ensley in the McKay Bulldog roadster in 1958. Ensley was an Indianapolis based sports car driver that wanted to race in the 500 but never was able to do so. Just a couple of years ago Foyt was interviewed about his early racing and he mentioned that USAC had a rule requiring any driver wanting to take a Rookie Test at the Speedway in those days had to run at least two National Championship races the year before. Foyt was also a rookie in 1958 and had more than complied with their rule. But all these years later A.J. singled out Ensley in the interview as someone who was allowed to take a test even though he had never raced a Championship car anywhere before coming to Indianapolis.

24. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Indyrjc, looks more like Don Edmonds to me. If this is 1958, Jerry Unser will ride this sled out of the park on the first lap accident.

Ensley will not run two races prior and he goes back to Indy in 1959, 61 and 62.

25. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I must say that I have been to both and nothing bit me. If I ever left the US, I would live in New Zealand.

chryslerfan55 and lurker mick like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.