Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods The NEW Moon Disc - Wheel Cover Pic Thread!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Oct 6, 2017.

1. So... As most people know, third party hosting sites like Photobucket have changed their policies and no longer offer free picture hosting. As a result a lot of the good photo threads we had going are now missing half the pictures.

Let's start a new MOON DISC thread but this time just upload the photos directly from your computer or device. That way the threads won't be all jacked up in 6 months.

Also, when you upload your pics you are given the option to post them as thumbnails or full size. POST THEM AS FULL SIZE for Pete's sake so we don't have to click a bunch of tiny thumbnail photos to see the cars.

Any cars will do but I would especially like to see 32 - 34 Fords running them.

Here's a few I have to get things started.

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

IMG_1613.JPG IMG_1615.JPG IMG_1621.JPG IMG_1622.JPG IMG_1623.JPG View attachment 3676382 IMG_1780.JPG IMG_1827.JPG

bschwoeble, Stogy, Deuces and 19 others like this.
  2. I’ll see you on the dark side of the moon

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Stogy and Fordor Ron like this.
  3. Slopok

Slopok

Here's one for the Custom fans! These are the snap on type.
    208.JPG

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

5. My old Model A pickup back in the early 70's. HRP

[​IMG]

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

7. My old 53 F-100 and after the new owner painted it. 53truckred.jpg 53truck.jpg

bschwoeble, Stogy, biggeorge and 9 others like this.
  8. belair

belair

Big difference on WWW or blackwalls. Iconic look.

Stogy and Fordor Ron like this.
  9. henryj1951

henryj1951
    from USA

trailer too---->

moons2.jpg

Stogy, Fordor Ron, Elcohaulic and 2 others like this.
  10. True. Not sure which one I prefer.

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

I like them both ways......but in some applications, I like the ww a little better.

Ray

Stogy, i.rant and Fordor Ron like this.
  12. belair

belair

I really like the ww with that little bit of red wheel breaking up the lack of transition from the silver disk to the white wall. The blackwalls just say "hot rod".

i.rant, Fordor Ron and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

14. chop job

chop job
    from Wisconsin
    1. WISCONSON HAMBERS

Glade to be a part of this. 20170818_153231.jpg

15. My truck
    20171027_140951.jpg 20171022_180747.jpg Moon.jpg

Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    bschwoeble, Stogy, 1940Willys and 6 others like this.
  16. Finn Jensen

Finn Jensen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

chryslerfan55 and henryj1951 like this.
  17. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like um on both sides..... image.jpeg

18. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

I have been a Moon Disc fanatic since they came out from Moon Equipment in the 50’s. They were easy to draw and make for model wheels from left over plastic or thin metal. Of course, until we started driving, we only had little copies for our lawnmowers and wooden go karts, etc.

But, once my brother got his first car, after going through many “flipper” style hubcaps, he settled on the Moon Discs to make his 51 Olds sedan look fast. It was fast for a slightly modified, 51 Olds, but the Moon Discs instantly made it look 10 mph faster. Bonneville and the drags at Lions…here we come…ha!

Jnaki

We are certainly thinking that our next car would look like this one, modified by “the Moose.”
    upload_2017-10-12_8-35-20.png
    A 1965 Chevelle 2 door station wagon with all of the performance, A/C, and handling goodies, including Moon Discs (purchase, pre-approved by the money manager in our family!)
    upload_2017-10-12_8-37-19.png upload_2017-10-12_8-37-37.png
    From a previous Moon Disc thread/post

Hello,
    These Moon Discs will make any car look so cool. It might make your car that much faster, just by the look…ha! Make sure you do not use sharp screws as they may puncture the tire and cause a small leak. Or…The flat tipped screws will hold the Moon Disc in place, but push the tire inwards causing a small leak. Measure the thickness of the rim and disc. Get the right size screw with a flat end.

We went through many flat tires before we realized what was causing the leaks. Check (weekly) how hard the screws are when in place. The Moon discs made the this car in the movie clip and other cars we put the discs on look very cool and fast. On one friend’s car, it did not matter what we did, it still leaked, so we put in a tube-type tire (with new tubes) and that solved the leaks.

Jnaki

Stogy, biggeorge, Fordor Ron and 2 others like this.
  19. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Not much of a fan of the Moon Disc (and my graduation classmate was Dean Moon Jr.), but that is one sweet looking car. The only thing that I would have done is polish the discs.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Fordor Ron and jnaki like this.
  20. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JC,
    Thanks for the nice comment. That Olds was going to be my first car as the hand me down theory was in full swing at our Long Beach house. My brother was ahead of his group as far as style on cars. We used to read car magazines before our school books. ahhhh. He had a certain idea of what looked good. Within a year, when the 58 Impalas came out, he sold this Olds to a close friend and put the money down on his new Impala.

Jump up many years later in a cool class in college called, Art Metal. I was trying to spin a 12" aluminum disc as a Moon Replica for a wall decoration. I got most of it curved correctly on the die that I made. But, after polishing it, it did not look as good on our wall with other frames as the spun look. So, I started cutting it down with the lathe. I made a small lid for a bowl that I got credit for another "spun bowl assignment." The shiny lid looked awesome on top of the spun bottom bowl. I got an "A" in the class for my products and creativity. The hot rod influence strikes again !

Jnaki
    But, patience wins out as two years rolls by and in 1960, I am the primary driver of the 58 Impala hand me down. (for money of course)

58 impala with Bruce slicks in the timed runs

Stogy, Countn'Carbs and bonesy like this.
  21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. I would love to see a photo (or 2) of your brother's 58 Impala.

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. jnaki

jnaki

Hey JC,
    Check your pm (conversation)
    Jnaki