Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration to rare to cut up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

They're all fair game..

Okie Pete, DeLuxe 32 and kiwijeff like this.
  3. redo32

redo32

You asked for it.

rr4.jpg rr 1.jpg rr2.jpg rr3.jpg

Cosmo50, Okie Pete, clem and 3 others like this.
  4. weps

weps
    from auburn,IN

Pics please!

5. topher5150

topher5150

kiwijeff likes this.
  6. sorry , WEPS... thought I had some on my phone... if I hit his shop Saturday will take some shots.
    He is about 75% done with car... right now doing interior.. car seats and door panels done... still needs carpet finished and rumble seat done and two more trim panels... Interior is more HOT ROD inspired.. for sure... Thank you ! @weps

7. 1936-stainless-steel-ford1.jpg

TOO rare to cut up
    TO Sir with Love

mgtstumpy, Okie Pete, clem and 2 others like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I wouldn't cut that Lincoln up, but I wouldn't hesitate to drop in a later model Lincoln engine and trans. Keep it stock looking outside, with the newer V8 hiding under the hood.
    That is, unless I came across a V12 at a bargain price!

slv63 likes this.
  9. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

There are some I wouldn't cut up, but not because they are too rare, just that they aren't worth the effort because they wouldn't look right to me!

10. Latigo

Latigo

Chop wouldn't help a Tucker. Like lipstick on a pig.

KustomKreeps and kiwijeff like this.
  11. 5window

5window

Well, at least he didn't cut up the Packard. Compared to the original motor, that Hemi looks pretty stupid in there.

redlineracer42 likes this.
  12. 5window

5window

And, HRP is right-those are some UGLY wheels on the Ida car. JMTC

13. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

I became a second owner of a 1937 Dodge 1.5 Ton Truck. The term "rare" in this case is... How many 1930's vehicles can be had from a original owner? So, I can't Rod it. I am going to restore it... It is my promise to the nephew, and I am a man of my word. He will drive it one time after I am done with it.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

TagMan likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life is short, get a saw.

XXL__, Hankster32, clunker and 4 others like this.
  15. Take some photos, then molest the hell outer that car.....:D

16. 2935ford

2935ford

The story on how that Hemi got in there.
    The son of the owner had the car out and ripping around town blew the original motor.
    Dad is pretty upset but son says "Don't worry Dad, I'll have it running in no time! I'll just put that hemi in it."
    The fellow who now owns the car also got the original engine with plans to rebuild it and put it back in although that plan has been in the works for a very long time!

Zerk likes this.
  17. If it was a three window.............

clem likes this.
  18. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a deusenberg? no. i have seen cords hot-rodded and well done. jay leno had a show where he and dennis gage took the doozy out for a spin. jay remarked that it was one old car that was built for the kind of traffic we have today!

19. Special Ed

Special Ed

Chopped my relatively historically significant Muntz Jet a few inches, and have received a bit of grief from a few folks for doing so. No big deal.

RICH B, kiwijeff and bct like this.
  20. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

I am sure that chopping, rodding, customizing some real rare cars will make the originals worth even more when there are fewer of them.

classiccarjack likes this.
  21. Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Clark, Special Ed, RICH B and 7 others like this.
  22. There is a car being built in Michigan that I put some striping on that would qualify.Unfortunately I wasn't allowed to take pictures of it because it is(or was;not sure if it is still in progress)going to be a contender for the Ridler. It is a 1937 Mercedes-Benz 540K roadster with Corvette independent suspension and a mid 70's M-B 280SE twin cam six in it. Long story about why the owner decided to hot rod it rather than restore it.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  23. 2935ford

2935ford

No, this is the real deal.

24. melsfine39

melsfine39

I bought this 1931 pontiac from a former Pontiac dealership. It wasn't running when I got it, it now runs and drives. It was restored some time in the late 70's.AND YES IT IS TO NICE TO CUT UP. Its a piece of history. We need cars like this to show what people drove in the early days of Automobiles. 20170123_143444.jpg

25. dave plmley

dave plmley

I've seen that Tucker, it's an Ida glass replica with a Caddy north-star drive train in the rear, they sell for around $75K and you can have one with any tire and wheel combo you like, 'what a bargain". The car is really a high quality machine, I would drive the shit out of it!

kiwijeff likes this.
  26. LOW LID DUDE

LOW LID DUDE
    from Colorado

I chopped the shit out of my 34 Desoto Airflow.A collector dude got all bitchy about me doing it saying do you know how many were made and survived ? I said I really don't care. To me its worthless stock. Try driving a stock one in todays traffic. He was such a jerk about it I told him I was scrap junking the parts not used to make a custom, I did lol.

Special Ed likes this.
  27. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

There is a difference in the words "nice" and "rare".

Kume likes this.
  28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Since you did ask... :D ;
    My opinion(s)...

Some of the thoughts may not translate to this boards' time-frame, but the philosophy still does. It only changes depending on the time-frame you wish to stay in/exist in/represent/recreate.

IDK; I guess it all depends. I believe that 'survivor' cars should continue surviving. There's too many rotted examples out there that would make good hot rods, or "ahem"... resto-rods or even street rods. As in: get in, turn the key, & go across the us, safely, comfortably, easily, from one corner to the other, & repeat. Hopefully, often. Depends on what you want from the car. Ya, I realize that neither restored nor drag cars will do this, but that's not their function & they aren't expected to accomplish it, either. (Usually). The idea still applies.

One problem I have, is w/cars that are rather rare/sought after/etc. They're not complete & finding parts to restore them is either stupid hard, stupid expensive, or both, & Harrah doesn't exist anymore... ;( . & as mentioned, a lot have been already sacrificed to bring/create a rarer/more desirable car back to life. So, those remains can/should be given new life, instead of being scrapped. I really hate to see them carved, but for these, resto-rod/street-rod makes sense. & I gotta admit, a 1/2"-1 1/2" chop can make the car look like it was originally designed, & drawn in the old magazine ads. Common cars, fords, chevies, etc, already have hundreds/thousands of orig n restored examples. The obscure, well, no. & those are the ones that I find add a lot of interest to rod events - if they're well done & proportioned. Another issue is when a (properly rodded) car is worth, in $$$, 2-3+++ times the value as if it was 100pt restored, & it costs 50-500% more than the car is worth to bring it to that level. Unfortunately for me, most post-war Studes fall into this category. ;( . So does, afaik, my 29 Essex business coupe... ;( . Come to think of i,t actually, everything I own falls into this category ... :D !

I also really enjoy hearing/reading/creating a backstory on the "family" of parts used. (street cars, not race cars). It can get really difficult to stay in the extended family of 'rod-able' parts, but I think it's quite clever & more interesting when someone can. & damn well worth the effort. It does take thought & effort. Seriously, how clever are you, actually?

Rodents only make sense as a shock-pile to get rid of a bunch of unusable/unwanted parts. Not to actually drive, much less safely. & the same w/the permanent rusty/so-called "patina". No, it *wasn't* that way "back in the day". Not even in the late 70's-80's.

Only my humble opinion. :D .
    Marcus...

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  29. Rob, Bruce Bronson's Cord is looking really good. He's made good progress on it. I'm impressed. Thanks pal.