Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Craigslist find 1927 Model T Fordor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by rab71, Oct 11, 2016.

1. fuzzface

fuzzface

nice score! And in my own backyard or at least in my general area. Saw this when you first posted it but didn't realize you were just in Madison until I just saw this thread again.

I used to go to Verona and/or Mt. Horeb just about every Friday picking up my auction wins. Did that for a year and a half straight and now only get there about once every other month or so. So I get thru Madison quite a bit.

I once in a while look at cl Madison but mainly watch the Milwaukee one. Wish I would have seen it first. :) But then I would have shrugged it off being in the barter section especially without a price listed on it. you just help prove you never know on those priceless ads what the people actually want. they are not always overpriced!

Again congrads on the nice find.

rab71 likes this.
  2. rab71

rab71

3. rab71

rab71

Well put the roadster up for the winter. when spring rolls around I'm going to pull it out and change a few things. New shocks in the front and maybe new wheels and tires. Fits in there nice with the T.[​IMG] [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Really like that Fordor, there are aftermarket brackets inside the rear crossmember of that stock frame, they may be for some type of shock absorbers. Bob

5. rab71

rab71

Interesting to know. Thanks much!

6. The37Kid

The37Kid

How long is that T frame? On second thought it may be a TT truck frame. Bob

7. rab71

rab71

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, That explains things, they used two short leaf springs not a single style like the cars, you just don't see a lot of them. g\Good strong chassis should work well for you. Bob

9. rab71

rab71

10. rab71

rab71

So I have finally started working on this project. I took apart the roadster to sell of some parts and keep others for the model T. I am going to use the 200 inline six, the headlights and the tail lights probably. I have purchased some wheels most on the HAMB will not like. They are 18" BoydsCoddingtons. I actually traded some wheels I was not using for them. They had been media blasted and I have been painting them to use for my project. The car is going to have a 60s style to it. I love the colorful metal flakes of the 60s. correct me if I'm wrong about that era. The car will be bare metal, then the metal will be treated so it turn a purple black. Then you clear it, I will then be spraying black metal flake (glitter). THEN a layer of pearl and more clear. So basically the car will be sparkly black pearl. Also I have always like the hotrods that were sparkly green. But I felt all green was too much. So the wheels look like this. The inside (back) is a base of semi gloss black, then the green glitter, then clear. The outside is, clear, glitter, clear and more clear. ;) The interior is still being decided but I am partial to a bomber front bench seat but haven't decided fully. I'd like to keep the interior clean and simple. IMG_5265[1].JPG IMG_5025[1].JPG IMG_5031[1].JPG IMG_5291[1].JPG IMG_5254[1].JPG IMG_5263[1].JPG IMG_5265[1].JPG

11. rab71

rab71

Little by little. Started mocking up the chassis. I have recycled brackets I cut off the TT frame. Can you tell what I did? I cut the front crossmember in half to create rear frame horns/extensions for the leaf springs. I'm still in the planning stages. So far so good. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Felipe Toltecatl likes this.
  12. rab71

rab71

So I am second guessing the underslung rear suspension. Thinking of kicking up the frame and going coils with ladder bars or four link. I picked up some 195lb rate rear springs. I'll set them on there and stare at them. My plasma cutter is supposed to come today so I am pretty excited about that. Looking forward to not using a ton of cutting wheels all the time. Although since I splurged on good cutting wheels instead of the cheap ones it's been working well. :D Took some measurements the other day inside the body too. went and picked up 5x3/16" strap for boxing the frame and some 1 1/2"x1/4" strap too for misc. stuff. Since the body will not be channeled I am widening the frame. it will follow the parameter of the body. about 1/2" to the inside kinda how it would look as if it was on top of a 34 ford frame. That's all for now. It's my wedding anniversary (16 years) so the wife and I are headed to Door County for the weekend. I'm trying not to think about the stuff I could buy for my car with the money we are spending on this weekend. Don't tell her I said that! HAHA:D

czuch likes this.
  13. rab71

rab71

Took some measurements the other day for frame mounts too. And crossmember stuff. Also picked up some cool stuff at the Jefferson swap meet. I'm like omg the steering column. The headlights I may or may not use. I'd prefer the big 9-10 inch ones.
    Well have a good weekend all.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. rab71

rab71

Got a bit of work done. My wife and I hit Door County last weekend and I found some goodies as well. Picked up some inspiration in the form a magazines. I really enjoy reading the way things were done "back in the day". ;) You can learn so much. example I learned that I hated the direction my project had turned. I've since pulled my head out of my ass. So I had received my new eBay plasma cutter (cut 50) on Friday. Last night I really put it to work. While it performs flawlessly my circuit breaker kept tripping. So I got my cardio in as well. It would trip and I would run down stairs to reset the breaker then up stairs to cut some more.:D
    I cut out my boxing plates last night. I was told before that the TT frame was strong enough that I didn't need it since I am running a low horsepower motor but I may want to change that in the future. I also ordered some new wheels. I have decided to run Torque Thrust 15x4 in the front and I am running 1940 16" (or 16.5" I think is what I measure them to be) steel wheels in the rear. And instead of super low the car will be a more tradition height. Which mean to me basically where it sits with the 4" dropped axle. I also bought coils for rear suspension and will be running a trailing arm/ladder bar type suspension instead of my stupid leaf spring idea. It will be more of a Gasser stance I hope. But level not so much ass sagging look. I would love some insight on that if anyone has done such a thing. I really don't want it to be coined as a "rat rod". People called my roadster a rat rod and I cringed. while rats are neat an and all there is a stigma that I just don't care for. As in they are just thrown together junk. Some really are, and some have some serious forethought. I want to do my best to be more "traditional". I don't have the money to hunt down all original parts but I'm gonna do my best. Have a great day all. Oh! PS. Also picked up a bitchin minibike frame for $25 and a good running Briggs & Stratton engine to power it! (as well as a a helmet) I'm gonna fix it up to match the hot rod and build a trailer to pull behind the car to shows. :cool::D

Attached Files:

15. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice to read you got new wheels and and are rethinking the rear end. You are chasing a traditional style car, just build it the way they did it back in the day and still do.

rab71 likes this.
  16. rab71

rab71

Yeah, thanks... I really lost sight of what I truly wanted for a brief time... In that spirit who wants some ugly wheels for their ratrod?!?:D:D:D

17. rab71

rab71

So I just found this quote "Yes, as posted above Gassers had to have fenders. They could be modified some but were required per the rules. Fenderless cars were usualy Altereds."
    So I guess my car will look more like and "altered" than a gasser as I have no fenders. I'm not sure how "technical" I need to be.

18. rab71

rab71

Not much to report today.Been measuring a lot but no too much progress. Cleaned up the garage a bit so I could move around better. Started on the kick up, picked up some metal to build brackets and the trailing arms. That's pretty much it. I'm still debating how I want to connect the back of the body to the frame. There is a nifty notch at the back of the body I could build brackets and connect to. I'd like to bolt to that. I am also putting cross members at each of the factory locations to bolt through the floor to the frame. It's all very solid. I'm lucky to be starting with such a sold body.

Attached Files:

19. Truck arms work well, I used them on a A and my 50 chevy truck, on the A I made my own, rode really well.

rab71 likes this.
  20. rab71

rab71

slv63, biggeorge and pat59 like this.
  21. rab71

rab71

So tonight I worked on the kick-up. It turned out well. Everything is tacked into place solid. I still need to cut off the excess frame in the lower side. Then I will finish welding everything. It too a while since I double triple and sometimes quadruple checked all measurements. It's all square and level! I will work on it some more tomorrow. I need to clean up some too. I get this rolling and I'll bring the body home. In trying really hard to make that happen before the snow falls. I was suppose to go to a car show swap this weekend in the Oshkosh but the rain is pretty bad. The temps don't help much either... can't wait to set this on the axles hopefully get at the front spring mounts tomorrow too. Night all!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

22. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Glad you got your head straightened out and are back to building a traditional inspired hot rod! Being a mordoor won't hurt it one bit and you'll never regret going with the traditional look! :cool::cool::cool:

rab71 likes this.
  23. rab71

rab71

Thank you. I think back to the turn I took and still can't figure out what I was thinking . I know it won't be perfect. But WAY better than the direction I was going.

24. rab71

rab71

Not the most productive weekend. Saturday my wife and I drove up to Oshksosh for a car show swap that didn't happen due to the weather... It was an antiques mall which was pretty cool. I found some wide five wheels and hubs. They were so inexpensive I wasn't sure if I was seeing what I thought they were or if they were junk. The price was $15 for the wheels (each) and the hubs were $10. Did I see what I thought I did? Then we went out with friends that night. Sunday I worked on the frame some. ran out of wire on the welder... Not much to report there. As soon as I make some real progress I'll post it up. I did go buy some wire today so hopefully tonight. If all gioes well maybe by Saturday I will have a rolling chassis. Wish me luck!

Attached Files:

25. Bugguts

Bugguts

What a cool and different car you are going to have!
    Glad you ditched the "other" wheels.
    Subscribed!

rab71 likes this.
  26. rab71

rab71

Thank you, I hope it turns out as cool as I picture it in my head.

27. rab71

rab71

Did some welding tonight on the frame. Was welding boxing plates. And then I broke my welder... Long story but wire is jammed like a mofo and I was almost done too... So I ordered a new torch feed line... Be here Tuesday if all goes well. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

28. rab71

rab71

The frame is boxed. It's my birthday and I'm sick... Fixed my welder and prefit a crossmember and started soaking rusty parts in vinegar. If you haven't tried using vinegar for rust removal you should. It works. Put it in a tub and let it soak. Takes a few days so just get comfortable. Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better and get some work done.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

AndersF likes this.
  29. rab71

rab71

I AM NOT USING THESE WHEELS. That said, they are just for mock up. They are the correct height for the rear but the fronts will be smaller.
    I didn't get as far as I had hoped. I got sick... That sucked.
    Anyway this is it for now. The front is just sitting on the springs. The rear suspension is obviously not done and only tack welded.
    I need to order different coil springs for the rear. Other than that, honestly will this work? Basically it's a truck style. So the arms will be attached with U-bolts. There will be a panhard bar as well.

Thoughts?

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

30. rab71

rab71

Not much to tell, cleaned up a bit in the garage last night. The floor needed a good sweeping for sure. Pulled a bunch of stuff out to trash and cleaned then moved stuff I was keeping back in. I have too much stuff. waiting on parts from Speedway to arrive. Should be Thursday or Friday. If all goes well, should be rolling THIS weekend :rolleyes:... AND the body will be home to set on the frame.
    I will be building the giant moving cart for the body this week too. I bought BIG castors for that. My project will be sharing the garage with my wife's car for the winter. That means constant jockeying of cars. It's gonna come real quick.

Attached Files: