Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration to rare to cut up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by topher5150, Oct 6, 2017.

1. topher5150

topher5150

Where would you draw the line? I'm sure you thought of it before, dropping a big V-8 in a Cord, or chopping a Duesenberg, but if you had the opportunity would you? Has anyone hot rodded or customized a super rare car?

onthefritz likes this.
  2. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Actually two lines, about four inches apart on a deuce coupe.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I passed on a '29 Tudor the other day because it was way to nice to rod. Ended up going to a guy looking for his first Model A.

onthefritz and FlyinA like this.
  4. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

actually a CORD. In the Cumberland county region of south jersey has a ls1 , auto tranny and corvette rear ! ....not H.A.M.B. Friendly, not my cup of tea but DAMN NICE JOB!

weps likes this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

6. topher5150

topher5150

aren't they all in museums any way

7. adam401

adam401

I will cut everything, in every manor possible, every day.

ironrodder, XXL__, verno30 and 2 others like this.
  8. badvolvo

badvolvo

I start with junk, so it does not matter. I have 55 Studebaker, mother in law says "those were so nice, you have to put it back original". I told her No, it's too far gone for that, but it will make a sweet gasser! Oh well, she's the mom in law, we don't see eye to eye on much.

9. { No their not.}I passed a Tucker with two guys driving it on Hershey Drive Pa. It had # 44 on it's tag. You never know what you'll see there. I'm a Hot Rodder, so I'd Rod anything, that I'm going to keep it for myself. My good friend Moose and I chopped my 34 Dodge sedan Delivery. so yes we would.:rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    hrm2k and kiwijeff like this.
  10. studebaker46

studebaker46

the nicer the car to start with the easier to finish. I don't understand the mentality of too nice too cut up

RICH B, Poh and porkshop like this.
  11. Stutz Bearcat and '33 Bugatti Roadster. I might cut the Stutz. LOL

[​IMG]

46international and hrm2k like this.
  12. I would have to draw the line at chopping a Tucker. My father worked for Tucker. In fact, he owned one of them. Here is a photo of it in the driveway when we lived in East Texas. Image (931x1280).jpg

Cosmo50, Vanness, mgtstumpy and 13 others like this.
  13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Aluminum bodied Lincoln
    Yes its a real Lincoln manufacture.

P7080001.JPG P7080002.JPG P7080003.JPG

14. Not my style but rarity didn't stop Joe Ida from hot rodding a tucker,fugly wheels but IMHO Tuckers are not pretty cars. HRP

upload_2017-10-6_17-7-24.jpeg

Hombre and chriseakin like this.
  15. haha ! my buddy had a Cord 810 Beverly Sedan.. He cut it up( body was professional altered to look like the real deal and it's amazing !) , now it's a 812 two door Phaeton .. boxed the frame.. tri-powered nasty small block.. 4 speed Muncie and 9" Ford out back...

16. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

While you're at it, Beaner...Cut that VW floorpan outa that Fat Bugatti!!! Give it a decent diet.

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the guy who cut up a Deusenberg would probably be the collector taking a rather mundane sedan and having a correct roadster or convert body built for it. Still there may be that Deusenberg chassis and less than popular body that some collector used as a parts car for his "special" car's restoration that someone could pick up and make a rod out of.
    That said there are some more and maybe not more common cars that I wouldn't modify. The mid 50's Chrysler 300, 300B and 300C are in that category. They are so special in their own right an have a hot rod history of their own that they should be kept original or restored back to original. I doubt anyone would give you a ration of crap if you showed up at Roundup with a perfectly restored 300B with all the proper bells and whistles. On the other hand a Custom Windsor hardtop from the same years would rock a few worlds too and those aren't all that rare nor are they special editions.
    As I get older I have a harder time with taking a perfect or near perfect all original car and making a hot rod out of it. Even though quite often they aren't that expensive to buy I can't see the wisdom in taking a nice fully restored Model A that is capable of entering any Model A meet in the country and cutting it up. There are still plenty of Model As floating around that are great hotrod material if one looks a bit.

Gary Reynolds likes this.
  18. Ted thats cool that your dad worked for tucker! I changed my mind. We will get an old Studebaker and chop it, and then make it look like a Tucker.;) Lol Ron...

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

sidevalve8ba likes this.
  19. When a guy has cubic yards of cash he can built his and our wildest dreams,as far as I'm concerned there are no sacred cows! HRP

Montana1, Hombre and kiwijeff like this.
  20. Ida's Tucker is a fiberglass car, not a real Tucker. He was also selling additional fiberglass copies. If my memory is right he used GM fwd drivetrain.

Back to OP's question, I think it comes down to what cutting up will do to the value of the car. Some will be worth more modified, some will be worth more original. Rarity does not always equate to value.

Cosmo50, clem, kiwijeff and 2 others like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is there an "unlike" button yet?:D

22. KFC

KFC
    from UK

A guy in the uk just built a cord streetrod from a very rotten original

23. It's their car and they can do whatever they want with it...........
    "no scared cows!" LOL
    ....unless you pulled the dual cowl from the SS Andrea Doria.....

24. linechaser32

linechaser32
    from Iowa

I've never seen a car that was too nice to cut up ,or too nice to drive,

Montana1, DeLuxe 32 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. JJK

JJK

37-39 Zephyr coupes , I know how great they look with a haircut but with limited production runs the original's are becoming far and few between.

hoof22 likes this.
  26. Roupe

Roupe

You mean a fake Bugatti?

27. dave plmley

dave plmley

28. 2935ford

2935ford

Ok how about a '34 Packerd convert with a Hemi in it?
    DSC00452a.jpg
    34 Packard 003a.jpg

29. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

Your Bugatti seems to have a VW front end. Has it already been rodded? (Likely a kit car. )

30. twenty gallons

twenty gallons

I'd cut this up without a forethought, but fiberglass makes ya kinda itchy, this is a kit car, VW front suspension