Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects "I'm here to pick up the rubbish"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Drylake, Jul 18, 2016.

1. cshades

cshades
    from wi

you will get down there. When I had my first knee surgery I wasn't supposed to put any weight on it for 6 weeks. I was in the process of block sanding my Nova, so I used a roll around office chair and pushed myself around with my good leg. I was off work for 6 weeks so I wanted to get as much done as I could because I knew I would never have that much time off in a row again.

drylakespeedshop likes this.
  2. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

get well soon... but be a little more careful that I was... home 3 days after wrist surgery, bored, I went to the garage to just look...
    tried to step over my '34's chassis, caught my boot's heel, slammed face first onto the floor, broke some of the impact with my wrists... I layed there for 20 minutes... with tears.

3. Drylake

Drylake

I fell over after my first surgery and landed back first onto an engine block... I decided It was too soon to play in the shed! Got out there today though!!!![​IMG]Motor mounts are bolted up! [​IMG]Trans mount is on![​IMG]Rumble hinges arrived and another high compression head arrived from an internet purchase! Brakes should be here today, and I have a few other parts in transit as well!

Sent from my SM-N910G using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. elgringo71

elgringo71

Very nice, congratulations

5. subscribed. Nice progress. Heal quickly, I know what that's like.

6. Glad to here it's not keeping you down. The engine is going to look great - I really like that triple setup.

7. Drylake

Drylake

Rad support rods are too long with the walker radiator, so I'll have to shorten them. Motor is bolted in, as is trans and radiator! Basically mocking it all up and getting it rolling. Then I'll tackle a few body panel issues.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. Drylake

Drylake

[​IMG]dragged the old bonnet out to help set up the rad support rod lengths.

9. Drylake

Drylake

Dragged an old seat out of a rubbish dump on the way home, when I first bought the 32. Rained all afternoon here so I got it out to take the measurements and start narrowing it. Stripped it down, first cuts removed 130mm. May need a tweak but it will work out I think! [​IMG]Not sure if it will get the complete springs in the seat. I don't want to sit too high. Strangely it's one thing I've been excited to get started on......

10. Drylake

Drylake

A little progress. [​IMG]seat is loosely in. Started to modify the headlight mounts. I think they need to go down about 3 inches though. I'll make up a headlight bar today.[​IMG]

11. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I think your camber may be off a wee bit!

chryslerfan55 and Runnin shine like this.
  12. Drylake

Drylake

just a tad, still waiting for my front brakes to arrive. Then I can work on getting it rolling.

13. Drylake

Drylake

14. I'd have to say you have come a long way. I've followed you're build from the start. Looking great.

Sent from my SM-G900V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Drylake

Drylake

16. Drylake

Drylake

A few recent scores. 20170831_145622.jpg I got my brakes last Friday, just waiting on an order to arrive to adapt them to the 34 spindles, I'd like to leave the original type tie rod ends. I have three of these dual point distributors to choose from now. I also picked up an old chrome modified 36 column drop and a pair of shackles. Sold a bit more gear to move the project forward and have done a little more to the 35 pickup cab which will be moved on at a later date to help fund the 32! [​IMG][​IMG]. I'm also building up a stack of parts for abrasive blasting!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  17. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

I know this is a budget build but doesn't anyone repro that cowl top? that blanket is very conspicuous lol ;)

18. Drylake

Drylake

I just haven't gotten around to finishing the cowel top repair. It'll work out fine. Been organizing the shed a bit lately. Welded up an adapter for the flatty on my engine stand today. [​IMG]I have 4 motors to choose from, all flattys. I scored a few more parts that are in transit. I'll post some photos when they arrive.

19. Drylake

Drylake

20. Asphalt Demon

Asphalt Demon
    from Australia

21. ozstuff

ozstuff

You work hard for your progress.
    Well done.
    Oz

Outback likes this.
  22. Drylake

Drylake

I would have well under $2,000 in my roadster... I enjoy the save with the old tin I've scored and moved on to fund the project. It's funny, I've kind of lost track of the cost, because I've bought in bulk and sold the excess... which has really put me a long way in front and paid for everything with profit. I'm more like $5,000 or more up on the build. It's an enjoyable way to do it.[​IMG]Brakes arrived last week, and I had my first day back at work today, nearly 6 months off after snapping a ligament and breaking my foot.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Outback, biggeorge, j-jock and 7 others like this.
  23. Out of curiosity; what is the deal on the rear plate with the bolt in e-brake cable?
    I've only seen that on open drive truck rears; but they have always been the '42 up style with shoe support bumps.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. Drylake

Drylake

To my knowledge, one is 42-48 (bolt in e brake ) other is 39-41.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  25. Drylake

Drylake

I have a few backing plates to go through. Original front drums were hard to get here in Aus...

26. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

good onya mate! first mock up

27. Drylake

Drylake

Went through my motors, I have three 1939-42 ford 221c.i motors, only 85hp.... My 1937- early 38 motor is so nice inside I've decided! Screw it! I'm going with the 21 stud! Still 85hp and it'll get me a driver sooner![​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
  28. tub1

tub1
    from tasmania

nothing wrong with a 21 studder ive got one waiting for my 32 roadster project ,plan on using early heads as well

29. Drylake

Drylake

Started stripping the engine down. New rings and a good clean up.... hopefully thats it.... looks nice so far![​IMG]

30. Drylake

Drylake

First piston out last night showed the rings could do with replacing. On my lunch break today, when I was picking up some materials for a job, I dropped in to a cool little shop! There's headlights covering the ceiling, among many other neat items... I was very happy to find a box of new old stock, standard bore, 85hp piston rings for alloy pistons... What are the chances![​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017