Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Th350

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WP38, Oct 5, 2017.

1. WP38

WP38

Is there a direct replacement for the th350 transmission? 700R?
    My transmission is in need of repair. Looking at options. I have a Lokar shift floor. Hooked up to a Chevy
    305. Might also be looking at replacing the 305 down the road

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. EnglishJon

EnglishJon

The 200R is the same length and output shaft spline, your drive shaft won't have to be altered. You will have to cut the mount pad off the cross member and weld it to the other side of the cross member, though depending on your application you may find an aftermarket crossmember for this conversion. Also needed are a TV cable and Holley TV cable bracket ( this may need rework for your application) and a lockup converter (input shaft splines are different between the 350 and 200R).
    There is a lot of info on this conversion on the web and will definitely enhance your Hot Rod

ZBoyz3 and Hnstray like this.
  3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

2004R is the better choice vs 700R4 for several reasons. As the above posts points out, the length and outputs line are the same as your TH350. Beyond that is a better ratio spread in the 2004R.....2.74 1st gear vs 3.06 in the 700R4, with essentially the same O/D ratio.

Some people claim the 2004R is weaker, but that was also true of early 700R4's and both were greatly improved in subsequent production revisions. Any competent rebuilder will use the correct parts for overhaul.

Ray

dan31 likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

Another option is to take the TH350 apart, see what's wrong with it, and rebuild it. If it doesn't need any hard parts, it's not that expensive. If it does need hard parts, you'd want to scrounge around for another transmission or two to get parts from.

My guess is you are not looking to spend a lot of money replacing the transmission...??? if you buy and get a 200-4R rebuilt and upgraded, it will probably cost quite a bit more than having your existing transmission rebuilt.

As to whether or not you want to spend money to get overdrive...there are a lot of variables that make that either a good idea, or a waste of time/money. Most have to do with how your truck is set up now, and how you drive it.

Old wolf, clunker and Hnstray like this.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

yep, lots of options out there - up to you - Phoenix Transmission, Weatherford TX has good stuff - with 200r will need to add lower rear gears to list of swap needs

6. If you got a long tail T350 the 700R4 is a bolt in.

Yamagrant likes this.
  7. X2. Soft parts are probably $200-$300, why not give rebuilding it yourself a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. This is what I would do, there is a tool for inserting the pistons but you can rent it for a day.

Personally I would bite the bullet and replace it with a T-400 but I break 350s. LOL

9. squirrel

squirrel

if you can't build a Th350 to live behind a 305...hmmm....

:)

10. LOL I didn't look at what he was running. I always assume that hot rodders are building something that runs. :D

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 305 runs just fine at 250hp. Sends a 2300lb car down the road quite nicely.

Oh, and I got it for free, and hopped it up with all of $400 in parts.

Nostrebor and LBCD like this.
  12. squirrel

squirrel

and it probably doesn't need a TH400 behind it....might even get by with one of those little overdrive things.

13. 1, Yes..It's called a T350 C
    2, If you are going to replace the 305 at a later date, to ...(not stated), why not just fix the T350 for now?
    3, Seeing you're asking for advice here, why not tell us what your current rear end ratio is, and how much highway driving you actually do? This way ,we can give you more informed suggestions.

14. blownhemi48

blownhemi48
    from Bergen NY

The T350C used a lock up converter which would drop your cruising rpm's down a couple hundred.

15. squirrel

squirrel

there is also the 250 and the 250C :)

but we're going backwards here

16. Yeah, but a good source of light weight racing parts;)

squirrel likes this.
  17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Exactly.

Overdrive transmissions are pretty damn skippy, IF the fuel savings will more than cover the cost to switch to one, along with all of the ancillary parts.

Often times, it does not.

18. F.O.G

F.O.G
    from Pacific,Mo

Don't need a special tool for the clutch pistons, just install new seals and wrap tight with
    electrical tape and put in the freezer for about 6 hrs. Place the center seal in place and slide over a
    tapered glass, like a shot glass, all garages have those. Been doing it that way for 40+ years.
    Contact me if you need more info. Probably something on You Tube about it.

j-jock likes this.
  19. Remember the good old days when you could go to ANY boneyard and get a turbo 350 Trans? They were laying everywhere like goose shit.

20. squirrel

squirrel

heh...I was visiting a few local street rod friends this week, and I noticed that TH350s are still laying around everywhere. Probably not at the junkyard, but in guys back yards, after they swapped in an OD.

21. Roger O'Dell

Roger O'Dell

22. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Now there's a combo ..Stock 305 and a 'glide.

upspirate and fourspeedwagon like this.
  23. Gregg Pellicer

Gregg Pellicer

When considering a swap just remember the th350 comes in three different lengths

24. 2.73 rear gears, powerglide and a 305! Yee haw

"If it ain't broke - fix it till it is"

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0-6 in just 7 seconds!

fourspeedwagon likes this.
  26. WP38

WP38

This is what I found in the transmission tray with some light gray matalic material.
    I'm thinking at this point to just rebuild it as is,

Attached Files:

27. squirrel

squirrel

that's the shift detent spring, you should find the other half of it under a bolt head that holds on the valve body.

I would not let that scare me too much...I'd just replace it, and see how the trans works

TH350HPfilter.jpg

28. WP38

WP38

Great thanks. Being ignerant of transmissions this part would cause the transmission not to shift in any gear? thanks will get a new part.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  29. WP38

WP38

30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not exactly. You should still be able to "find" a gear, but it won't stay in it.

That spring and roller ride on a "rooster comb" which stops the shifter movement at each gear, PRND21.

If you manually turned the shift shaft that sticks out the side of the transmission, it should go click-click-click, stopping at each gear.

With a broken spring, it will turn free, stopping only when it can no longer turn due to physical interference.