Register now to get rid of these ads!

Termites and Bowties- Early Chevy Group

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29bowtie, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

2. madmike3434

madmike3434

Chevrolet stopped using a wood framework with the 1935 Chevrolet STANDARD SERIES EC. This is determined by having a wood sills on which a wood framework is assembled and then the sheet metal body panels are nailed and screwed to the wood frame. . Body%20wood_2A.jpg

3. madmike3434

madmike3434

HOPEFULLY THE BODY IS OFF THE FRAME , WHICH WILL ALLOW YOU TO MAKE CARDSTOCK PATTERNS MORE EASILY. YOU CAN MAKE THE PATTERNS TO BE EVEN WITH THE TOP AND BOTTOM OF THE FRAME RAILS. OR YOU CAN USE THE PETE AND JAKES WAY AND MAKE THEM SO THEY SLIP INSIDE THE FRAME AND ARE SET BACK INWARDS *UP TO* 1/2" IF YOU WANT.

I WOULD USE 1/4--3/8 " SQUARE ROD AND TACK THAT IN PLACE AS A BACKING FOR THE PLATES. FIND A PAINT THAT STOPS AND SEALS THE RUST, POR15 IS A GOOD ONE, USE INSIDE BEFORE WELDING, BUT MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE METAL BARE WHERE YOUR GOING TO WELD THE PLATES.

USE NUTS WITH SHOULDERS ON THEM & WELD , TO ATTACH THE BODY TO THE FRAME ON THE TOP OF FRAME. IF YOU HAVE FENDERS THAT SIT ON TOP OF FRAME, DO THOSE TOO.

IF YOU KNOW SOMEBODY WHO HAS A PLASMA CUTTER YOU CAN HAVE IT DONE LOCALLY OR A COMPANY THAT HAS A EXTREME HIGH PRESSURE WATER JET CUTTER. . SAVED $$$$$$ GO INTO YOUR POCKETS

MIKE :cool:

4. 31chevymike

31chevymike

This company, progressiveautomotive.com sells plates for our '31 for $389 FULL BOXING SET, ready to weld. The other companies I mentioned earlier are the ones that you need to submit drawings of your rails - the best advice I'd give is to contact them on how to proceed to do this. Madmike3434 offers some great advice as well!

5. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

hell the only timber in my yoke is in the bed and the cab mounting blocks,but count me in

TFoch likes this.
  6. 36's still had wood frames- some had metal-framed doors, but it wasn't until 1937 that Chevrolet produced all steel bodies.

6inarow likes this.
  7. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chevy Project - Roller, 55 Chevy Rear and Speedway Straight Axle. Nov 2015 Photo Droid 005.jpg 10436676_10203050417398304_5018446119965221019_n.jpg 10559906_10203045109785617_5240273499477389357_n.jpg

8. madmike3434

madmike3434

9. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Already there in pic with tires

Sent from my SM-J320V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

10. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Found I can use the Stock Springs and Shocks Too. Going to see if the Lever Shocks with the right fluid viscosity will work.

11. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

If those shocks work like the early AD pickups they only work on rebound.

GlassThamesDoug likes this.
  12. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

We will see...thoughtbthese had a paddle in the fluid. Will see got 6 of them. I can add traditional shocks with little effort. Drive like a buggy with originsl.6 and 55 mph top speed with rail wind....1/2 Mike to 55mph, 1/2 me to stop...and you guess is it pulling right or left...ha ha..

13. madmike3434

madmike3434

The axle picture installed in the car with fender wheels and tires is NOT a straight axle, its a dropped axle looks to be about same drop as a stock cast iron BEAM axle.

If you want to slam that front end down on dual spring front end chevies, you have to run a MOR_DROP beam axle that's dropped on the ends ( spring mount to kingpins ) 3--or 4 1/2 " over stock. The axle also needs to be 4" NARROWER 46--47" over stock (50" ) so that when the fenders come down the tires are sitting completely inside the fender .

My coupe was using a mor-drop 4 1/2" maxi drop that was narrowed to 46" in a forge . You can see how low this was by looking at top of front bumper is below the spindle centerline using the hub cap as a visual aid.

I still have that axle its been bead blasted and drilled with 3/4 or 7/8 " holes. Price $300 plus shipping.

The axle is a 1940---1954 .....1/2 ton truck. I used to run 1949---54 chev PASSENGER CAR spindles and king pins, along with 67-69 camero 4 piston discs, ( smaller bores than vette )

mike lynch
    [email protected]
    DSCF2901.JPG DSCF2902.JPG

A straight axle would not have any drop in it king pin to king pin and the car would sit at least 6---9" higher at the bumper, gasser style

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  14. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Straight axle is another of those terms that gets loosely applied to axles that are not necessarily gasser axles. It's not a big deal. We can see what it is. At least it's not IFS.
    I plan on using the single action shocks from the '49 pickup I got my axle from on my '26 roadster. I am using the drums too because the 19" wire wheels fit them. I'm trying to figure out if those drums will work with the later '53 brakes.

15. 31chevymike

31chevymike

GlassThamesDoug and TFoch like this.
  16. madmike3434

madmike3434

1941willysgassercproller0611.jpg prd_lg_423.jpg prd_lg_423.jpg
    Any TRUE gasser style racer or street car TRADITIONALY always has a straight axle , no drop at all, to get the sky high look. Not everybody reading these posts knows whats what. They were trying to get weight transfer to the back tires by using that style. There are still Willys and other gasser type cars T & A's. being built for that look..

Built today most of the Willys do have IFS that I have seen and are glass cars.

just posted OLD school hi-boy gasser look and new school down in the weeds air bagged style

mike

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
  17. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy it as a driver antique..pull it behind barn and gut it b eff fire anyone notices..

18. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Well said Doug! She does resemble a "STOCK" restoration - Thank God you're rebuilding your Chevy as a HOT ROD!!! Besides, most hot rodders wouldn't care if anyone notices...

19. madmike3434

madmike3434

Actually purchasing a restored original car and turning it into a street rod makes a lot of sense and has been done for a long time , much to the horror and hate of restorers. Pop the body off the frame and re-do the chassis with a v8 of your choice, then put it back down. If the car has nice paint and upholstery leave it and just drive the ride , as is.

When you consider the amount of work and money needed to take a rusty car and make it straight and beautiful, you have to say why bother. Last thing your looking to do, but if you want a RATTUS RODDUS your not going to acquire a restored car. Unless you cannot afford the restored car to begin with and want to go slow and steady with the draw on your bank account instead.

mike lynch

20. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Well said Mike! I didn't have this luxury when I purchased mine way back in '95. Mine was rodded in the late '60's - COOL ENOUGH - but during my second resto, I had the entire bottom of the body replaced with new panels all around each side. I will submit a thread of my own shortly on my latest body off re-build... I have some KILLER parts to install this time around!

21. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It certainly is easier and in the long run maybe cheaper to start with a restored car. I never started with a restored one or near new but did defile some very solid complete and unmolested cars. That said I still couldn't cut up a really nice surviver or well restored pre 'mid '50s car. I dislike Resto-Rods about as much a Street-Rods and Rat-Rods. I know that doesn't leave much just the narrow class of Hot-Rods as laid out in the format of the H.A.M.B./Jalopy Journal. But To each his own.

22. 31chevymike

31chevymike

What kind of hot rod do you have Six Ball?

23. GlassThamesDoug

GlassThamesDoug
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You are correct...a mint model A or Chevy have dropped considetably as those that relish original are less and less every day. Unless you want a parade car...old and slow is obsolete..

24. madmike3434

madmike3434

I am familiar with SIX BALL on the RUSTY BOWTIES web site. I don't think I have ever heard what it is he owns ....drives ??? Never saw a picture of his ride either.

Please upload pictures SIX BALL of your ride or under construction ride.

mike lynch
    owner of 3 ....35 Chevrolet standard series resto rods

25. 31chevymike

31chevymike

One of his quotes earlier said that he owned a '26 Roadster, assuming she is a Bowtie. Don't have the faintest idea what a '26 even looks like. Let's see some photos SIX BALL!

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Don't have any cars. I just like to look at the pretty pictures.

27. madmike3434

madmike3434

NOW NOW, your doing the Ali Shuffle, the old bob and weave avoiding the request . I know you have a car . Apparently you have a 26 roadster and are going to run original style 19 inch wire wheels on a 49 chev 1/2 ton truck beam front axle. Probably fenderless and will have only flat black primer or paint.

I do know its not a resto rod, or a rod with IFS because you have proclaimed your utter hate of them. You must have a Chevrolet of some sort because you post in this section.........Termites and bowties and also Rusty Bowties site.

Just being a cantankerous 72 year old , spitting verbal diarrhea at anything you don't like and refusing to post pictures of whatever year your building , isn't really the dodge tactic others are willing to accept . Put your ride on display as others do .

I showed pictures of my 3 resto rods which must have set your mind and computer on shaking mode .

mike lynch

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  28. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Easy Mike... Easy... Let's not jump on him that much. Whatever condition his '26 Roadster is in would still show any interest here on the HAMB. We've all grown up looking at Fords of all years, because of the abundance of them and popularity in most of our Hot Rod mags, etc. Chevies on the other hand, are gaining HUGE popularity and finally have more coverage in some of the rags we read. Here's some photos of my rod the very day I bought her in 1995: My very first shot.jpg My very first shots.jpg My very first shots II.jpg Interior of my coupe.jpg My roof with Mega Bondo!.jpg Trans Mount and Trans Cooler.jpg Unknown Shocks.jpg 1976 Window Sticker!.jpg 53 Chevy Brakes.jpg 61 283 in my rod.jpg

29. madmike3434

madmike3434

30. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When have I ever said I hated anything? Don't we all get to like what we like? I have nothing to prove to you by uploading pictures. When it comes to "spitting verbal diarrhea" you seem to be the journeyman. You have no idea how little I care about what you are "willing to accept". My Dodge tactic is a 1919 touring, no pics of that either.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019