Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

ha ha ha that last response looks like fodder for a R * T R * dd * R lmfao

tfeverfred likes this.
  2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rebel, this thread isn't about just my car and what I'm doing. It's a thread for people to post their interiors and ideas for T Buckets. As far as "doing something", CCR doesn't keep the stretch bodies in stock, so I'll be getting a new one. It takes time, so while I'm waiting, I'm doing research on some things. A LOT of things. Interiors are one of those things. What I have found so far, is that there are a lot of options, when it comes to COMFORTABLE seating in a small interior like a T Bucket. Or any early Hot Rod.

For instance, a little bit ago, I came across a source for marine grade vinyl with a 1/4" foam backing. Looks like it would be great for side panels and seats. I've pretty much decided on doing the side panels myself.

https://greatlakesskipper.com/

As for doing better than all of the ideas posted above, I think there's some useful information in every post, so far. But one thing is certain.... no matter what I come up with, it'll be a LOT better than those cheap ass seats from Walmart.:eek:

In the end, I'm pretty sure I'll have a nice T Bucket. And no matter what, I'll be able to say.... oh, hell........ take it, "Ole blue eyes"!

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It does..... doesn't it? Hmmm.......:D

4. upspirate

upspirate

The heat pleated vinyl off that site you posted was the water proof vinyl with pleats I was talking about.

I have bought from them before (different boat stuff) and they are good to deal with ( my experience and a few of my boating friends anyway)

tfeverfred likes this.
  5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

That's good to read. That pleated material really caught my eye.

6. upspirate

upspirate

The sewn looks better, but the heat pleated doesn't have stitches to let water in if you get caught in the rain.....just along the sewn edges if you put strips along the top or panel seams etc

7. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

IMG_1283.JPG IMG_1284.JPG IMG_1286.JPG IMG_1100 (2).JPG
    This is my 27T with 2 doors. Homemade bomber seats. Very comfy with good foam in the bottom. Easy to build.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very nice! I like the black and red contrast. That always looks good.

9. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Ever sit in a bomber seat for any length of time? I had a Glide Engineering seat in my Model A and was thinking about bomber seats. I took the padding out to see that it would be like. After a day of bouncing, my back was killing me. I don't see how guys do it.

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

LOL. Yeah after a couple hours my butt starts to go to sleep. But my roadster T is really not meant to be a long distance cruiser. I only run about 100 miles on a tank of gas anyway. Besides that my face hurts just as much from smiling.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, it's no worse than the tall guys, wedged in an over chopped coupe. If you asked a Hot Rodder to choose between "cool" and "comfort", I'd venture to say, 80% would pick "cool".

12. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

Here's mine pretty simple and as period as I could get. 003.JPG

RDE, 40ford, Paul and 6 others like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've really liked your car, since I first saw it. It's an outstanding example of a T Bucket. I'm saving the pic because of the way your door and side panels are attached. I was considering using velcro on my side panels, like Speedway does, but I like the way yours attaches. Looks more permanent. Are those snaps or some type of screw?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  14. Mr. Mac

Mr. Mac

They are screwed in because that's the way I remember them being done back in the old days.

tfeverfred likes this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

WOW! That's how I thought mine could be done, but I thought screws would be kinda "hokey". Are they large head screws or a screw and washer?

Oh damn....... am I becoming "traditional"?:eek::D

16. upspirate

upspirate

Use these with a stainless oval head screw or they make upholstery screws

http://www.bosunsupplies.com/Finish-Cup-Washer-12.html

tfeverfred likes this.
  17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay........ Rotten Leonard sells just the side pieces. Would his side pieces be just as effective as angle iron? He mentions using them for a bench seat in his description. Using them for a bench frame, the sides and their styling wouldn't be visible, so having the rest of the interior match them wouldn't be an issue.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Great! I'm beginning to put together a plan to do my entire interior myself. My imagination is in warp drive right now. So far, even with the bargains I've discovered, buying or building are in fairly close competition. But doing it myself is winning on merit alone.

upspirate likes this.
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

They would work good for the sides, then you just need something with structural integrity for the rest of the seat structure, such as tubing or even plywood.

tfeverfred likes this.
  20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Got it!;)

21. oj

oj

I have 2 pockets in the floor that will have cushions in them and a seat back, its a 26-7 Tee with a deep cowl so you can sit on the floor and look straight thru the lower half windshield. Its a modified. The pockets are just like the lower section of a bomber seat. The upholstery guy says it'll finish out like a 50's corvette.

patmanta and tfeverfred like this.
  22. Haven't seen much in progress pics in this thread, thought I had a few; but no luck. Did find a couple I had. I don't know how you go about reinforcing one of these newfangled bodies; but I have always 'glassed wood around the top and ribs up the sides. I then 'glass and screw 1/4" luan panels in place and give them another coat of resin. This get rids of any flex and makes good base to glue the side panel upholstery in place. I make the backrest out of another piece of luan with saw kerfs that lets the corners fit the curve of the body, 'glass on couple layers of mat and cloth and you have a strong form fitting backrest. Install the side panels, trim out and install the backrest and roll the edges over the top tack strip, staple, and cover with some hide-em.
    PC110032 (Medium).JPG edge 1.JPG

DaPeach, upspirate and tfeverfred like this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rotten Leonard bench seats.
    rl_bench2.jpg

This red bench has a taper on the seat.
    rl_bench.jpg

I think the reinforcement could be a little longer but the thought is sound. The only draw back would be the loss of floor space to compensate for the back leaning. But considering that a T Bucket body has a slight taper in the back, going up, the loss may be minimal. Or not.

Also, making a bolster in the seat wouldn't take that much effort. I'd cut 2 holes in the bottom, web them for comfort and extend the reinforcement to the forward edge.

rl_bench_underneath.jpg

Dick Stevens "LIKES" this.;) I knew you would.:)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Dick Stevens likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I haven't ridden in my RPU yet however I sat in it for a long time just feeling it out.
    I'm sure that my bomber seat cushions will be every bit as comfortable as the bench seat in my buddies 27 T.
    Besides I have no illusions that my RPU will be a long distance day long comfort cruiser. :D

The more I look at those Rotten Leonard seats the more I dislike them.
    They remind me of a bench seat like you find in the old yellow school busses. :D

Torture devices for sure.
    Ask a rural kid who spent time in a school bus how comfortable it was :D.

Not a chance I would install a seat like that.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Blue, I didn't see bench seats on his site, but he sells the end brackets. The seat itself and the comfort level would be up to the individual. You can get a 40' roll of webbing at Wally Mart for about $10 and the plywood from the hardware store.

I was special and had a bus all to myself.:D

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Blue One likes this.
  26. atch

atch

Our local Ace Hardware sells these. I bet yours does, too.

upspirate and tfeverfred like this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I usually shop at Home Depot and I'm sure I've seen them there, too.

upspirate likes this.
  28. upspirate

upspirate

If you use these washers, use the oval head screws. The flat head countersunk ones will work, but not look as good. Also when tightening down on them, go gentle as they will cut the vinyl if you use a screw gun.
    All my years of using them, I haven't figured out how to keep the foam under the vinyl to keep from catching the screw point and twisting.....maybe poke a hole with an awl or something first. A drill will also catch the foam, so probably best to drill through the panel into the body framework before you cover it with foam and vinyl. ( the panels I was installing back in the '70's in boats were pre-made upholstery panels

DaPeach and tfeverfred like this.
  29. upspirate

upspirate

Looking forward to seeing this one done....your last one looked good.
    Why did you get rid of it and build another T?

tfeverfred likes this.
  30. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for posting the tip!

upspirate likes this.