Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Would you prefer a steel 31 coupe or a glass 32 five window?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mo rust, Sep 3, 2017.

1. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we rolled a Model A out of the bushes next to this old lady’s house in Long Beach, back in late 1957, it was a feat for us. A real car for less money than a weeks lunch at school. That car was complete and our dreams of making it into a drag race car was starting. It was dusty, rusty, but complete and on wheels. It just looked fabulous sitting in our yard, ready for modifications. Dreams started to come true.

All steel has some finite qualities about it. The bang on the fenders, the sound of a solid built…real steal, etc. Many years later, we found our selves at shows and hot rod gatherings talking to fanatic hot rodders of all kinds. The feeling was that steel is original and the search to find one was the challenge. Once you found one, then the build begins.

Sure, fiberglass has come up in the quality of their builds and "repops." Those products make the extra fender or part that is hard to find or replace, easier. But, who hasn’t heard the side comments at cars/coffee events or shows…”that is glass.” Then a quick glance before walking on to the next car. Those people aren’t traditionalists, but just finicky. Aren’t we all involved in some way or other to enjoy hot rodding through builds or memories? Why do all of those people go to those infinite car shows all across the country?

Jnaki

Having known friends with cool looking cars with fiberglass parts has not stopped the enjoyment of hot rodding one bit. The replacement fenders/body looks exactly as the original, with the matching paint, it is hard to tell at shows or gatherings.

Sometimes it is easy to tell, but the days of touching someone’s car is now out of the question. The fit and finish of those quality fiberglass parts makes building or rebuilding enjoyable. But, as the saying goes, “Opinions, everyone has one…”

Ron Funkhouser and robracer1 like this.
  2. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

3. robracer1

robracer1

Maybe GM had a good idea making them out of fiberglass, ever seen a rusted out Vette?

4. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rob,
    The early vettes actually have a steel structure in the cowl area referred to as the "bird cage". One of the first things to inspect if you are an interested buyer as they are very prone to rusting out and a major undertaking to fix.

5. robracer1

robracer1

DSC02866.JPG ^^^^^^^^^ Thanks Dave you just ruined my life! and yes I'm getting a lot of compliments on the knock off gas cap, but after they look at it they still ask me what year is it?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Ron Funkhouser and jnaki like this.
  6. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Have to have real steel...

7. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

I'm finishing up my '31 steel coupe and just picked up a glass '32 3 window. Reality is, there's no way in hell I'll ever afford a steel 3 window, so this will do. Driving a 'glass 32 is better than riding on a steel bus......

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  8. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

YOU GUESS !!!

Bandit Billy likes this.
  9. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't need to, I watch your threads.

Splitbudaba likes this.
  10. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting that pic Rob. It looks great!

robracer1 likes this.
  11. mediumriser

mediumriser
    from Ohio

Well I wanted to build my dream car while I was young so my son and I can enjoy it. Steel 32 was OUT OF THE QUESTION. So this will do for me, and more importantly my son. Got it legalized a week ago been driving it everyday since.
    [​IMG]
    image storage api

Splitbudaba and j3harleys like this.