Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Lets start a thread for trucks with car noses on them

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by NashRodMan, Oct 16, 2015.

1. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

THIS WAS ACCOMPLISHED BY TAKING TWO JUNK HOODS AND MAKING A DELUXE 40 FORD PICKUP. tn114.jpg

2. For gawd sakes, don't do what they showed on "Fantom Works" by forcing a '50 Stude bullet-nose into a '50 Stude pickup front end. Truly gave meaning to the initials "P-U". JMHO...

3. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I agree 37kid...that thing is sweet!

4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

I built this one.
    36Fordy.JPG
    Later I updated the bodywork and paint and added a better grille.
    DSC02802.JPG
    Folks keep trying to buy it but I really like the uniqueness of the truck and it sounds and runs like a real hot rod.
    Some fellows on the Fordbarn named it "36Fordy" when I first got it together. The 36 car front end on a 1940 pickup. Note that the cab, and everything behind it!, had to be moved back a few inches to keep from having to modify the original length of the 36 hood side panels. The 40 running boards were modified to look like stock 40 boards and bolt to the stock front fenders. Note the 36 Ford taillights that have been tweaked to fit the 40 pkp rear fenders. I also cut out the original dash and installed a dash from a 36 car; even added a waterfall.
    When people ask what year it is, I tell them it is a 1936 Ford Super Deluxe Pickup. Many people reply that they have never seen one. I just keep a straight face and reply, "They didn't make many." and walk off.
    Having fun with cars and trucks and people is what it is all about!
    Al

5. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Awesome pictures guys! Hamtown Al, appreciate your explaining the mods you did. Thanks.
    Anyone else got other examples?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. Toymont

Toymont
    from Montana

I liked everything about that truck except the bullet nose. That killed it for me.

7. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

I suppose there aren't that many of these out there. Most look so cool. Lets try to keep this going!! What's really important to me is HOW it is done. Someday Id like to try it.

8. Banjeaux Bob posted this shot on the Commercial Vehicles thread. Looks like a Packard car nose on this panel body. Wouldn't guess there was ever more than a handful of these produced, though Packard did produce some other commercial vehicles like funeral coaches. I'd like to see a few more shots of this from some different angles. :cool:

[​IMG]

osage orange likes this.
  9. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is Cool.

10. 55 Mercury

55 Mercury

I see my 47 Ford posted here. I hated the original front end but like the truck. I was going to make something work so I started cutting. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449717526.414578.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1449717550.352653.jpg

11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Torchie is building a 51 with a 41 car nose on it. Maybe he'll share some pics of his progress.

Animal likes this.
  12. Torchie

Torchie

You asked for it Bama. So here it is. Going for a full blown custom look which is what the photshop pic from Rik Hoving shows. The others are how it currently looks. Having issue with my computer so I haven't been on the custom side of the board much.
    Torchie IMG_1556 18-20-28.JPG IMG_1695.jpg IMG_1539.JPG Torchie41FordPickUpSideRH07-vi.jpg

anthony myrick, indyjps, hfh and 14 others like this.
  13. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^ That looks very nice, look forward to future progress reports. Bob

14. Torchie

Torchie

Thanks.
    Here is a link to my build thread on Rik Hovings CCC. As I look back on it I realize how much it has morphed from my original vision. It will give the OP an idea of how I got to where I am and what I did to get there.
    Torchie
    http://www.customcarchronicle.com/forums/topic/my-current-custom-build/

Animal likes this.
  15. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I really like that one because I am fond of 36 Fords.
    I crudely modified your picture with what I think would make it even more convincing and better looking, that would be a continuation of the cab body detail along the hood edges ending in a point like a spear further towards the front.
    It would look like it flowed into the hood and make it look like the hood belonged there instead of just having that body line end abruptly where the hood starts.
    36Fordy.JPG

16. Glad your a welding instructor and don't teach photoshop Larry.:eek::D

Chavezk21 likes this.
  17. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:D:D I don't do Photoshop, heck I could probably add that detail to the hood edges in real metal quicker than with the computer. :D

clem and Atwater Mike like this.
  18. earlymopar

earlymopar

That is gorgeous Lou!

19. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

DSC02798 (2).JPG

It took some 'engineering" to get the bottom of the belt line to match up with the bottom edge of the top of the hood.
    What you can't tell from this angle is that I sliced the original raised "spear" and flattened it by the time it reached the hood. Thus if you added that spear, you would have to rebuild the spear on the cab. I debated welding the top body seam up and grinding it down and smoothing it with bondo if necessary but then the spear from the front of the door wouldn't have the gradual transition down to being flat. I left it as it is as I felt that was the best compromise to achieve the switchover. I guess I could reshape the transition area to bring the top of it down to a point but I'm not too keen on that either.

DSC00654.JPG

Look at the construction shot below to see just some of what had to be done to get to where we are now.
    Note that the front of the "spear" on the cab has not been flattened at this point but realize that the REAR of the "spear" is pretty flat at the top of that area. I just modified the front by flattening the top side of it so it was flat when it got to the hood.
    Make sense?
    OneB.JPG
    I have to say that I am quite honored that my old "Special Deluxe" pickup is even being noticed very much.
    It is ironic that one of the areas I was concerned about was picked up on by y'all. I hope it is great minds thinking alike!!
    Suggestions are always welcomed.
    Some of the magicians on the HAMB could make a hood like that from scratch... regrettably I am not one of them and I am not aware that any live closeby!
    If we all keep working and thinking; we'll continue to enjoy one of the very best aspects of being a HAMBer.
    Thanks for the continued help... I need all I can get!

41 GMC K-18 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  20. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I understand what you did, and even why. I wasn't really picking on you or your truck. I really like it and think you did a fine job.
    I was just thinking on how it could be made to look more convincing as to being an original factory job.
    I like how the body line and spear carry through this hood and thought that the same might work on your truck.
    Larry.
    1946 with 37 car front end2.jpg

21. pops29

pops29
    from turlock ca

Here is a few of mine. Eric Black Design, 39 ford 36 car Bodywork by Gambino Kustoms. We have been working on this for quite some time, There is allot more than meets the eye blending both together
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. Torchie

Torchie

There always is on a build of this type. I find that I get a lot of satisfaction from the fact that most people that look at mine thing that it grew that way. I call it the Ford that Henry should have built. I have about a weeks worth of work in just blending the two hoods together on mine. Of course I am old and work real slow.....:)
    Yours is looking great.
    Torchie.

Animal likes this.
  23. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Hi Larry,
    I certainly did not think you were picking on my old truck or me. I took it exactly as intended... suggestions for potential future improvements or refinements.
    I fully agree that the hood on the truck pictured does a heck of a job of making that baby look factory!
    However, that kind of tweaking is beyond my skill level by a wide margin so I took an approach that worked to achieve the desired effect but using a method that I was reasonably able to pull off.
    Final decision ( is there really any such thing?!!) will come when, and if, I ever get around to putting a real paint job on the old Ford.
    Thanks again for sharing your thoughts... that's how most of our treasures get enhanced and/or refined over time.
    It never hurts to listen to what others have to say.
    I drove it today and still love driving it. It took awhile to figure it out and get it together but it has been well worth the effort to me.
    All the best,
    Al

Last edited: Jan 11, 2021
    41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

No problem Al, one thing you could consider doing is enlisting the talents of a friendly metal worker if there is one who lives near you.
    Maybe someone here on the Hamb might be willing to help and teach you.
    If you decide to add the detail in the future as you say.

25. Raising this one from the archives. I am digging the 39 Standard nose on the truck.

26. willumbilt

willumbilt

[​IMG] a little crude & simple, but dates back to late 50's or early 60's...may decide to refine it a little someday.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Cosmo49 likes this.
  27. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

This was at BTT50s this year.

DD033FD8-B654-4F3E-95AC-30B2102C1000.jpeg

28. NashRodMan

NashRodMan

Wow Jake, it looks like it came from the factory that way!!

29. 1934coupe

1934coupe

I just opened hamb up and my watch thread showed this. I said to myself "that's beautiful" and it is.

Pat

chryslerfan55 likes this.