Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

this is something i have thought about. these are a little pricey though. might be able to find them cheaper. i have some regular glass seats and thought about widening them like this. my next T will have a door so, i don't have any measurements to see if these would get in the way. then again, i could cut and paste to the size i need.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/38-REAR-BENCH-SEAT-Fiberglass-Dunebuggy-VW-/112212371053

2. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

:eek::rolleyes: Yuck

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yes, that seats a lot higher up than I have planned. A while back, I visited a friend from the Tbucketeers forum. He has a stretched body and I tried it out. I was VERY impressed. If you look at the pic below, you can see part of a piece of wood he had set in place to mock up his seat. It's resting on top of the body cross bar. That's pretty close to the seat height I envision. My back is closer to the back wall than I planned, but the difference is minimal. I'm really going to be sitting "in" the car, no matter what seating solution I choose. ;)

[​IMG]

In this next pic, my legs are in a nice, comfortable position. My right leg is slightly bent. I was simulating gas pedal placement and should have had my foot even further forward. My left leg is slightly bent up, to simulate a seat bolster of some sort. CCR's steering column goes through the firewall, about 4" above the floor and an inch or two to the right of my left foot. I could fully stretch out my legs, if I wanted to. Naturally, the further forward the seat is, the more my legs would be bent up. Since I have long arms, the steering column won't need to be too long and awkward looking. I'm really looking forward to the bodies arrival.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
    Paul, dana barlow and hrm2k like this.
  4. Neat stuff in here. I really like the looks of the cream and maroon with the swan neck shifter but I'm curious about the sharply angled one that Bader2 posted a pic of. Any firsthand reports from a full figured fella? I'm tall and not likely to be mistaken for an anorexic.. wondering if this is the secret to small hot rods? I have an ot 50s car that is only as high as my belly button but I can easily wear a hat while driving it and more than enough legroom so I know small is possible.
    Good thread Fred-- can't wait to see how your stretch T comes along.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tfeverfred likes this.
  5. RodStRace

RodStRace

Fred, you have said many times that everything must be adjusted for the best fit. I agree, and know you will get it 'right'.
    One thing I keep going back and looking at is how the seat bottom and back must tilt forward under and over the steering wheel and column. Having the removable wheel makes this much easier, but the pivot point is going to either be right at the top of the cross bar (easy and may work out fine) or need to be a bit higher so the seat can tilt forward enough to access underneath.

Flat frame that would go across the front bar like the plywood.
    [​IMG]

If the pivot point needs to be higher, the frame could be higher at each side where the bracing goes up the side of the body.
    Example from a Jeep rear seat (would not have the room for these in the T)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-JEEP-CJ...-BENCH-1982-1995-PAIR-2-/122618796587?vxp=mtr

Boat stuff for ideas
    seat flip up hinges
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/lund-200831...-bolster-seat-brackets-set-of-2-/190999949446
    seat
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCOUT-320-L...d=190999949446&_trksid=p2047675.c100012.m1985

basic cushion
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BOAT-CUSHIO...CH-SEAT-W-SS-HARDWARE-30-x12-x2-/222657559348

dune buggy bench seat cover (probably uncomfortable, but another idea)
    http://chircoestore.com/rear-bench-seat-cover-34-1-2-wide-black-dune-buggy-sand-rail.html

side by side bench seat
    http://shop.pitsterpro.com/52rearbenchseat.aspx

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good ideas, Rod. My plan, whether a bench or buckets, is to have them removable. The seat bottom for a bench would be about 30 lbs. Both bucket seats are about 15 lbs. each, so that's 30 lbs. Shouldn't be a problem removing either set up.

7. joee

joee

ROTTEN LENOARD

tfeverfred likes this.
  8. upspirate

upspirate

Fred, I used some of these hinges to mount my rear bench in a boat I re-stored.
    You could mount them to the floor or front riser and the bottom of the seat.
    It would tilt forward some til it hits the wheel, or remove the pins and lift the seat out.
    Your body holds them down at the back and you don't need a latch there.
    No pics as a long time ago before digital
    Worked well for me.
    Polished Stainless, or you could paint interior color to blend in

http://www.attwoodmarine.com/store/product/stainless-steel-hatch-hinge hinge.jpg

WC145 and tfeverfred like this.
  9. I don't feel there is any need to get fancy with hinges and latches on a bench seat bottom; just drop in place with a couple locating pegs on the front edge; like Ford did from the start and up into the late '30's.

brEad, dana barlow and upspirate like this.
  10. But you can learn with a little practice; think about all the stuff you "couldn't" do before you started building hot rods.

A good old American made home sewing machine will do the job and they are practically no $ at garage and estate sales; especially the ones in consoles. Of course; they don't function as well as a commercial machine; but you are not in the business.

In the past I have sewed vinyl and fabric; even Hartz Cloth on an old Wards machine with no problem.

Practice on some fabric, move up to vinyl, and pretty soon you will have gained another skill.

Just, don't count yourself short in hot rod building; by believing you can't do something.

tfeverfred, Dick Stevens and Blue One like this.
  11. butch27

butch27

UPS could those be used for the door hinges on a bucket ?? Demensions ?

blackjack likes this.
  12. upspirate

upspirate

I wouldn't, they do have play in them and would rattle.
    If you have a marine supply there (should have, boating is big in Mich) stop in and take a look

13. I've used original T door hinges in the past; fit the application pretty well. Used to find them for low $ at swaps.

14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

LOL I haven't ruled him out.;)

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks! That looks like a nice hinge. But as light as a bench or two buckets would be, I'd just lift them out when I needed to. Those may work for someone else though.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, I did kinda throw in the towel on that one.:oops: Rich, I may be able to get away with not sewing. My first T Bucket had a bench seat that I made, but I didn't sew anything. It was strategic folding and a lot of staples on the under side.:D Same with the back piece. I could redo that, but better this time. I was sitting here looking at the pics of that cross bar in the door frame substructure and it's just begging to be the front of a base for a bench seat. It's even got two brackets with holes for the pins to keep the bench in place! Very tempting. Plus, I'm sure I could make a bench seat for less than what I plan on spending for already made seats.

At work today, I was day dreaming of a frame to make the bench seat and back, all one piece. I have a way that "might" work and the whole assembly wouldn't weigh more than 25 - 30 lbs. Or I could some how use the back of the body and integrate a back piece into it. The way Speedway attaches their inside panels and back piece are now becoming very motivating. I'm going to do some sketches and see what happens.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, here's the quick sketch for my idea on a one piece bench seat assembly. The inside edges of the upholstered cushions, where the bottom of the back and the rear of the bench meet, could be beveled. Or not, for a tighter fit. The entire assembly would weigh less that 20 lbs. The cushions are 3" firm foam. Covered in black vinyl. The frame work is made of metal strips, 1 1/2" wide and 1/8" thick. The back and bottom are bent at a 70* angle. Cut to size and welded. The cushions are bolted to the frame work. Not shown are rubber "stops or bumpers", on the upper corners of the back. To keep the frame corners from cutting the rear body lining. Thoughts or input?

I forgot to add the pins in front. And I'd have a 4" bolster in bottom cushion, but I forgot to include it in the sketch. Hey, it's a QUICK sketch!

IMG_1792.JPG

19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Fred, that will not have any structural integrity to it! You need to use either angle iron or tubing and add some gussets for strength.

20. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've been watching this thread because I am going to have to do my interior in the not so distant future. I was looking at some of the photos with the steel brace on the floor. It looked so much different than my roadster pickup that I took a couple of pictures today while I was at the garage. My RPU was built by Frank Morawski years and years ago. It has a 1917 cowl and looks quite a bit different. The interior was all done with glassed in wood. I thought you might see something that would be of help...............the center box with the hinge is the battery box
    IMG_2743.JPG IMG_2744.JPG

brEad, mctim64 and tfeverfred like this.
  21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Or.....to make things REALLY easy, you could just make a seat bottom with webbing and upholster the back panel. Attaching it like Speedway does. That would free up a lot of room and eliminate a metal frame all together. Cost would be for foam and vinyl.

By the way, my choice for material would be Zodiac. It comes in a variety of colors and is marine quality in it's ability to repel water. This is what I used on my first T Bucket.

http://www.diyupholsterysupply.com/Zodiac-Naugahyde.html

hrm2k likes this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Good idea! But wouldn't the back resting against the rear body panel, work on it's own? We're learning here!:)

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Very nice! I like that battery box and it's location. Nice work.

hrm2k likes this.
  24. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No, the seat base and seat back would have no strength to support your body weight.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Okay, I get what you mean. Would a gusset at each corner do the trick?

26. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

It would be best to use either angle iron or tubing as they both would have an inherent gusset in each member and then need proper gusseting between the base and back to make the angle solid.

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Got it! Thanks.

28. upspirate

upspirate

I had a '27 roadster that had a wood riser across the front maybe 2" high that supported a base cushion of plywood covered with foam with a sewn cover. The back had a piece of ply glassed into place from the top of the body to the floor of the body at a comfortable angle. (a '27 I know that area will be different than a bucket) There was a piece of contoured foam from a bench seat back that just set against the upright plywood back support.
    The covering was sewn vinyl that wrapped around from the pass side door ,across the back, and up to the dash on the drivers side with a matching door panel for the opening door. It had a few snaps in the bottom corners that you snapped first, then the top edge rolled over the top of the body to snaps around the outside top edge.Then dropped the seat bottom in place.The sides came to the seat sides, but actually had a couple of inches to the body sides so your hips could have a little extra room.
    The wrap around sides had a strip across the top that was sewed to roll& pleated center vinyl.The vinyl was not sewn R&P but formed R&P that they use in marine applications, so if it got wet it didn't soak through the seams. There was a little storage under the seat base, and the rear plywood had 2 hinged access doors with a storage area behind the seat under the rear deck.
    Very simple, and I thought it fit the theme of the car very well
    I'll try to see if have any pics of that interior

29. upspirate

upspirate

Crappy phone pics of old pics, but wife wasn't up to show me how to scan!:(Memory was wrong, there was another panel for the driver side separate from the back wrap around.I also had a tonneau cover made that would snap on in place of the upholstery snaps around the top edge and when folded, would fit between the side wrap and the body. good for keeping out the rain , dew, or prying eyes.

20171001_222246.jpg 20171001_222221.jpg 20171001_222300.jpg

tfeverfred likes this.
  30. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

LOL

Honestly Fred do something "out there." Outstanding. Take your time and look/think outside the box. You don't want the "Black Beauty" to be run of the mill. Their you go saddle colored leather covered nice comfortable bucket seats. People giving away on craigs list leather couches every day for material. I just took one to the dumps. Shit even an old fuck can think of something. Just don't let her blend into the pack. This might be the most important decision you make on her.

Have you gone to the local sports car wrecker looking for seats? Hell even the local all car wrecker. Almost all cars now come with bucket seats from the factory. Lots of them are leather.

You can do better than all the above. Even the real nice ones.

Rebel

IMG_1106.jpg IMG_1107.jpg IMG_1108.jpg IMG_1110.jpg