Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods T Bucket Interiors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tfeverfred, Aug 12, 2017.

1. RodStRace

RodStRace

Here is the tribute T interior with bomber seats
    It's channeled much more than normal, which means a bigger trans and driveshaft tunnel. Note how the side and rear tuck under the body lip.

1102sr_05_o+speedway_motors_tribute_t_kit+.jpg
    1102sr_08_o-speedway_motors_tribute_t_kit-.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Mine's going under the upholstery knife in a week. I don't have the time or patience to do my own, but after talking w/ the shops, it almost makes me want to. Trying like hell to talk you into doing what THEY want & not what you want.

There's a lot of great ideas in this thread. You'll have a nice little reference library by the time you get to it.

3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

The big problem I see with the seats from rotten Leonard is the fact that they are basically flat, no curvature to the backs at all.
    Along with that a big part of what can make bomber seats really uncomfortable can be the lack of any bolster for your legs at the front of the bottom cushion.
    Look at any comfortable seat and the bolster will be there in some fashion.

dana barlow and tfeverfred like this.
  4. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rod, I can't believe you posted a link to that "A"! I have pics saved on my computer and look at them every once and a while, just beautiful. And your right about Rotten Leonards seats. Like that Model A, if I don't integrate some of the details of the seat into the rest of the interior, they'll end up like what Rebel eluded to... cool, but out of place. One step away from ugly.

The CCR tech told me the true width of the body, just behind where the door would be, is 39 7/8" (5" above the floor). Now that's right against the walls. The door jab, in the pics is 1 1/2". Depending on how thick my side panels will be, I could probably end up with about 38-39" to play with. However, a T Bucket body widens as you move to the rear towards the back. so I could get the 3" back. 40" is plenty for 2 regular buckets. At this point, I'm leaning towards buckets and that brings me back to the Empi seats or the Corbeaus. The Empi's are 19 1/4" wide and 18" front to back. So, they would work. The Corbeau buckets (my choice between the two) are 22" wide and 22" front to back. They would be a tight fit, but workable, if raised off the floor an inch or two.

Both the Empi and Corbeau seats are simple, which would look better in my interior, than Leonards seats. So, with that in mind and other than the width, the deciding factor between the two, would be that the Corbeaus have 3 dedicated slots for the seat belts. A major plus.

https://www.carid.com/empi/race-tri...lack-vinyl-medium-mpn-62-2880-0.html#features
    https://corbeau.com/fixed-back-seats/baja-low-back.html

So, I'm hoping that when the body arrives and I can take definite measurements, I can get the Corbeaus to work. Otherwise, it'll be the Empis.

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for pointing those features out, Blue. That, combined with other things mentioned above, has relegated Leonards seats to 3rd place.

6. RodStRace

RodStRace

Once your body arrives, I'm sure you will check the fit enough to know what will work best.
    Until then, keep looking for options.
    I found the Stryker Hot Rod seats, but they cost 2 times what you are looking at, and aren't that much more stylish.
    You can check the local upholstery shops for what they would offer, suggest and even what to avoid. Walking in at 5 PM with a sixer will get you a good amount of professional consultation!

I remember an old story I read about the 1950s SAAB rally team. They had issues finding a light seat that fit.
    The guy went outside and plopped down in a snow bank. Then they mixed up a batch of fiberglass and fit it to his 'print'!
    I don't know how true it is (fiberglass likes normal temps to set properly), but it shows that thinking outside the box can get the results you want!

tfeverfred likes this.
  7. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Hey Fred. Speedway motors just started to sell 2 styles of the Empi seats. Bob........................

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Actually, they've been selling them for a while, even though they're some what discontinued through the manufacturer.

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

dana barlow, upspirate and tfeverfred like this.
  11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks. As always, your opinion is most appreciated. They're an option I felt needed to be tossed into the mix, good or bad.

Blue One likes this.
  12. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Blue One and tfeverfred like this.
  13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I thought about him, when I found them.;)

Blue One and Dick Stevens like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I would be look for something I could set in and see how it feels if you plan on a lot of seat time.
    Do they have some with the gel pads like the cruiser bike seats?

15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

No, but I've been trying to find examples of some of the seats locally, to try out.

16. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

That can be tough unless you just hangout at all the big shows.....but if one is close by maybe its worth the trip...just do the home work to know there will be what your looking for.
    Do you have the body yet?

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I'm close to ordering my body CCR. Should be on it's way the end of next month. So, during this idle time, I'm exploring options for seating, steering, etc. Keeps my mind busy and some of what I've found and what others have posted, may be helpful to people in this situation.

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I found a good post on seat building from one of our Canadian Rodders (Keeper), on the "Ontario Rodders" forum. As some of you may know Keeper is a member here and built a nice looking T Bucket. His interior does require a sewing machine and I can't sew, but his thread shows how it can be done and I found the layout of the seat boards of interest. So, here it is"

http://ontariorodders.activeboard.c...-upholstery-bench-seat-build-and-door-panels/

19. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Blue I totally disagree. I was going to suggest these Fred. If you have ever sat in a slightly laid back bucket seat you will know how comfortable they are. Why do you think they put them in WWII warbirds and sports/race cars. As far as durability just make sure they are secured to the floor as the seatbelt's bolted to the frame will hold you in. With just the simple padding kit you will be able to drive comfortably from gas station to gas station. They will look perfect in your low, slightly raked Black Beauty and Fred you really wouldn't have to finish the interior right now. Just paint it black or just glue in some simple black vinyl padded upholstery cardboard.

Rebel

20. phat rat

phat rat

Here's mine. Seat bottom lifts with P1030874.JPG fuse panel. battery and small tool box underneath

Pufff, brEad, RDE and 9 others like this.
  21. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

LancezPandora.jpg
    I designed n sewed this up for my son's T,made the seat frame , panels,rug an cockpit lip,beats any an all bucket type I've ever been in,plus there is hide a way storeage behind seat back,even though top of seat back is as far back as it can be. There a few things hiding behind the seat back,I feel are needed,fix-a-flat,plug kit,jumper cables,small tool kit an some cleaning n polishing thing along with rain car n motor cover=can't do that well with bucket seats

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
    Driver50x, RDE, mctim64 and 3 others like this.
  22. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Do you have a seat budget? Plenty of vintage sports car buckets being reproduced too.

Mine, also storage under seat. Will update with fresh interior pics in a couple weeks.
    IMG_4890 (002).jpg IMG_4895 (002).jpg

WC145, RDE, Fern 54 and 3 others like this.
  23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've decided to get a door installed in my body. I'm not sure how it'll effect my seat options, but I'll figure it out.;)

CCR Kit Body Detail.jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  24. upspirate

upspirate

I don't think you'll regret this decision

dana barlow and tfeverfred like this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

My knees are smiling already.:D

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Another view of the seat bracing (in a regular sized body). Making a lift out bench, that would set on the top rail, is a nice option.;)

seat_brace.jpg

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
    dana barlow likes this.
  27. atch

atch

Mike, I'd sure like to see more details or pix of this set-up. I'm planning (and have collected 99% of the parts and pieces for) a 26 (front half of a turing car) on 32 rails. I don't really care for channeling, although it might become necessary for aesthetics reasons. That might just sit too tall and look like a cartoon. But all along I've wanted to sit down inside the frame rails.

Fred, It's only my opinion not backed up with any real-world experience, but I think that's an extremely wise move. Also THANX for starting this thread. I've learned from it and gotten many ideas.

tfeverfred likes this.
  28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

You're welcome. It's helped me too.

29. RodStRace

RodStRace

For the removal, you can do a quick pin deal, OR go with an OE engineered solution.
    Many minivans, SUVs and even PT Cruisers had removable rear seating with latches and hinges you can get at junkyard pricing and adapt. Grab the release handle, cable, latch, and the pivot. Measure the width of the latch bars in the floor. Not traditional, but would make the seat solid in place, allow lift and fold, and be removable for the price of a single seat. shown is the lower pivot latches and pins. the backs latched at the "C" spot at the back top.
    I'd look into boat stuff too, but I doubt you can find well designed parts at JY pricing.
    [​IMG]

tfeverfred likes this.
  30. RodStRace

RodStRace

CCR-T-Bucket-Greg-Vaughan-California-Custom-Roadsters-5.jpg

BTW, here is a CCR long body with full upholstery.
    I don't care for the thickness of the seating, but it shows the stretch and gives you a better idea of the room inside better than the other pics posted before.

saltflats and dana barlow like this.