Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The bucket of ugly! A de-uglifying thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by need louvers ?, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

No! Not bomber seats! The bench seat will look a lot better IMHO :cool:

loudbang likes this.
  2. MMMMMMM, Bomber Seats.o_O:eek::D JW
    [​IMG]

chryslerfan55, AndersF and loudbang like this.
  3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

THAT..... is hilarious.

4. In hindsight it is, but at the time I took the pic the word was hideous. :D JW

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

What in the world is wrong with you guys? :D
    It's mmmm bomber seats. :D
    Point one, a bench doesn't give you more room.
    Point two the bombers can look good and be comfortable.
    IMG_0570.JPEG IMG_0571.JPEG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0495.JPG

bonesy, chryslerfan55 and tfeverfred like this.
  6. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Hi Fred , Since it's a metal body I bent some sheet metal and welded in a frame like structure that I could drill for the pointed Ford door panel spring clips .
    If you look close here you can see the kick panel framework and also the frame beside the seats.

Something similar could be done on a fibreglass body too by screwing the frames to wood glassed into the body.
    IMG_0697.JPG IMG_0521.JPG

8. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Interesting check strap setup Blue one.
    I like!

Tim_with_a_T, loudbang and Blue One like this.
  9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, man.

loudbang, chryslerfan55 and Blue One like this.
  10. Fred, I know you kinda put this to bed, but I've been away and thought I noticed something in yout pics. On your caliper issue, they look like the same ones on my Plymouth, and if so, does the brake line come out at a slightly upward angle from perpendicular tob the spindle? If so, would switching the calipers side to side get you the clearance you need?

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang and tfeverfred like this.
  11. And on the seats, you might ask Corbeau if you can get a set without the badge sewn on. Never hurts to ask. We bought 4 of their buckets for a '35 Ford 2 door sedan back in the 80's, they were very accommodating back then.

Sent from my SM-S902L using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

loudbang likes this.
  12. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Yea, the ends come out at a slight upward angle and switching won't work because I have the lines at 15". Moving to the front would make them too short. No worries, man. The hoop wasn't a "need", it was a "want". That's the price I paid for not sticking to a plan.

loudbang likes this.
  13. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred
    Because I consider you a friend I am going to tell you what I think is the truth. Or maybe it is because I have had a couple of three drinks. Or maybe it is just because I am am an ass. BUT Fred putting together a lot of parts you like does not make a Kool Kar. I.E. your first shot at building a T bucket.
    Just because Bomber seats look good in Larry's airplane frame perfect rod build or in a race car inspired car doesn't mean they are right for your build, even thick padded custom looking seats in my opinion will not look right. Your build calls for simple laid back bucket seats with simple black padded covering. Even this is a real compromize for me. My thinking is it would be perfectly bitchin with the simple colored fiberglass '50s chair seats that I recommend before. That wasn't a joke I really think they would make your ride a Magazine worthy standout and if you put down a simple foam pad to sit on they wouldn't take anything away from your comfort. Back padding is unneeded.
    Fred if you want to shut me up start your build thread like Larry did. (I bite my tongue with his thread).This is the T bucket Deuglifing thread and I hate to see you throw a lot of pretty parts together in an ugly manner and i'm not going to tell you what you want to hear so you will like me.
    Another off the wall idea from the REBEL is to paint your engine RED and call you car the BLACK WIDOW. Guess I am just brainstorming now. Fuck where did that phrase come from.
    Whatever any of us admit we build these street rods to get looked at. Especially T Buckets. The greatest of these confirmations is Magazine exposure. Yes, ever greater than show trophies.
    More to come Fred if you keep posting on the Deuglifing thread.
    Your real friend Rebel
    But then I might not know what I am talking about.
    Gary project finished.jpg

deucemac, chryslerfan55 and bonesy like this.
  14. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Rebel, the parts I have chosen are NOT just because they are cool and there's certainly NOT a lot. So far, my seats and a steering wheel are the only parts out of the "norm". I'm working towards a goal. An original idea and style I have in my head. Neither you, nor anyone else see can it, that's understandable and unfortunate. It's in my head and a few rough sketches. No harm. No foul. I have NO way to control or censor what you or anyone else thinks or writes. I take it all in, process it, check if out and if it doesn't jive, I kick it to the curb. So, whatever you feel you need to write.... do as you will. I'll keep posting.

Now, my take on the cafeteria fiberglass seats, that kinda look like bomber seats. Actually, a LOT like bomber seats. While they could work, in the end, they'd still look like what they are, a cheap, ugly solution to a critical situation... MY ass comfort. I didn't like them in school and I sure as hell wouldn't ride in them now. I also remember my friends and I taking pleasure in cracking them in half, by just leaning backward too far. So, no. They're not going into any car I build.

And speaking of seats for MY ass, I just recently posted on my "T Bucket Interior" thread (post #49) and I'm probably going for a bench seat, after doing some more research and info from a rep at CCR. Hell, I may even make my own, using Corbeaus technology. So, all this stuff about bomber seats, is going...... guess where? To the curb. For now, anyway. Tomorrows another day.;)

Now, if it seems like I'm taking over Chip's thread, then he's more than welcome to ask me to post else where. Again, no harm, no foul. I'll post a link to it and go away.

Rebel, I respect your opinion and ideas. They may not jive with mine, but it doesn't keep me from reading what you post. And deuglifying is and always will be a matter of opinion. If my build offends you or anyone else, I can't change how you think or feel. In the end, I'll be the one driving it and living with it.

I used to drink, but I found it tends to distort reality and I'm naturally distorted.:D

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  15. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Sorry Fred I just get caught up in these things and it's not even my rod. Just use your best artists eye. I know you aren't going to use the "cafeteria seats" as much as I think they would be a standout. Just build your car and don't pay attention to anything I say. It will be a just fine driver. Please though don't be afraid to go out on a limb whatever that is for you. Don't be afraid to distort your reality. ALA Norm Grabowski and the Rebel. After all you named you rod after a flower or a brunet that was murdered in a L.A suburb. Live up to it.
    Sorry Fred I am on my rant again. No need for a response.
    Rebel

16. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

17. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I made a minor change in my direction on the steering wheel a couple days ago. The 4 spoke Limeworks is a quality piece. It's got chrome plated spokes and a leather grip. My new choice is still a 4 spoke, which is what I wanted for this car, but the spokes are polished stainless steel and the grip is a black, dense foam rubber with a 2" dish. Also a quality piece. The difference in price is $200 for the Limeworks and $90 for the Speedway edition.

The 2" dish doesn't bother me and more importantly, I'd rather have polished stainless steel for the spokes. My last wheel with chrome spokes began to flake, after a while. The quality in chrome now a days is a joke. So, I'll save $110 to use else where and get a better quality steering wheel. IMO

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Comp...ering-Wheel-Stainless-Steel-15-Inch,2054.html

19. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I've seen steering wheels like that installed with reverse dish on t-buckets sometimes. I'm not sure if it was for looks or for stomach room.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I can't remember if I mentioned Rotten Leonard's Bomber style seats and I just got off work, so I'm too tired to check.:p Maybe someone else did? His seats have a lot of good things going for them. http://www.rottenleonard.com/Products.html

rl_seats.JPG

Here we go:

1st. He seems to be a Hot Rodder trying to make a go at his own business. Gotta support the little guy. Right?
    2nd. He's a HAMBer. Don't you just have to trade with a guy who's a HAMBer?
    3rd. Going by his area code, his shop seems to be in the good ole U.S.A.. So, I'd be helping our shitty economy.
    4th. $300 for a pair. SAY WHAT!? Yea, $300 for a pair and they're padded! I used a calculator, my dad's slide rule and an Abacus and that comes to $150 each......PADDED!
    5th. HAMB discount probably applies. Of course I'll have to drop $50 for an Alliance membership, but I was going to do that anyway to save shipping on my headers from Matt at Gear Drive.
    6th. They look bad ass. I like bad ass. Wait.... did that sound right?o_O
    And finally.... 7th. He can make them ANY width. Yeah, that means no matter what measurement I come up with, he'll be able to take care of it.

I've already figured out how I'm going to mount them. LOW! So, all those things considered, his seats are WAAAAAY at the top of my list. I'm still doing some checking around, but not as hard as I was.;)

For the look (yes, they'll fit MY style of build), adaptability and price..... I think they're a win, win, win.

"Your build calls for simple laid back bucket seats with simple black padded covering." Steel Rebel ;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2017
  21. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Fred, Fuck me! Wait that didn't sound right. They are bad ass and will look great in your rod. Wait that didn't sound right.
    Rebel

Unless you like this.

IMG_1098.jpg

chryslerfan55 and 26 T Ford RPU like this.
  22. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, Rebel, as I just mentioned in the "T Bucket Interiors" thread (post# 94), looks wise, the seats from Rottem Leonard would be out of place in my interior. Too cool? In order for them to look like they belong, I'd have to somehow meld details of the seats into my interior and I don't want to do that. So, I'm back to the Empi seats or the Corbeaus. The Empis are a sure fit. The Corbeaus will need a tad more room, but they might work. Both are simple, laid back bucket seats.

So, I think once I have the body here and can get some definate measurements, it's a choice between those two. A plus for the Corbeaus are dedicated slots for seat belts, which I like. The Empis don't have that, but I could make something work and look good. The Corbeaus are also wider than the Empis. I have not ruled out a bench seat, but it won't be one I make. Because of my lack of sewing skills, a home made bench just doesn't please me. A bench would be one from Corbeau.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

24. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

They're gone now, but I got it.:)

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

As far as the arrival of my body from CCR goes, the fat lady just made the corner and will be coming down my street.

DaPeach and AndersF like this.
  26. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Cool - send pics of course. I’d like to see you sitting in it, so we can judge size.

tfeverfred likes this.
  27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've been stashing my coins for so long, I'll probably sleep in it the first night...... or two.:D

28. GASSERBOB

GASSERBOB
    from USA

Make sure you post us pictures of it Fred. Bob.........

29. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Well, today I had what can be described as a moment of clarity. I've decided to get my body with a door. I'll have to save a few extra weeks, but I think, in the long run, my future knees will thank me. A plus is that the sub structure will strengthen the already sturdy body. Of course, this is going to effect seat options, but I'll keep mulling things over, while I wait.

So this means the fat lady is going to stop and grab some burgers.;)

CCR Kit Body Detail.jpg