Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We all have a rear license plate but -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 28, 2017.

1. metalman

metalman

I got pulled over in my 59 El Camino in Pomona, Ca one night because I didn't have my front plate. Argument ensued since he didn't seem to care I only get one plate (NM). Finally convinced him he really didn't want to write me that ticket since I told him I won't sign it, take me downtown if you need to! So after a "full" inspection he was able to write me a ticket for a burned out license plate light. $25 ticket for a burned out bulb, I just love Pomona!

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. LOWDUG37

LOWDUG37

X2

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

If you don't have a front plate, how are you going to mount your HAMB or OFC plaques? DSC03055.JPG

4. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I guess my point is that the local police as well as the sheriff's can also enforce the front license plate law.
    About ten years ago a WSP pulled a U turn and pulled me over and gave me a ticket for no front plate.
    I was driving a early 80's BMW. I've also talked to people who haven't had a front plaet for 10 years and have never been bothered.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

if you have a 1949 Chevrolet front plates are required because they have the cool license plate guard:)
    [​IMG]

Stogy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. earlymopar

earlymopar

Regardless front or rear, motorcycles only have to have a rear plate (and theirs are much smaller). Therefore, why should a 4-wheeled vehicle require anymore than motorcycles? -EM

X38, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. My OFC is bolted to the rear bumper. HRP

upload_2017-9-29_10-50-27.jpeg

3W JOHN likes this.
  8. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Ca. has issued two plates except for 1945 and 46. 1945 was a cool black plate with white letters, 46 used the 45 plate with a bolt on tab for the top of the plate. I don't think you will see Ca. suspend the two plate rule as the use of traffic cameras and other surveillance cameras are routinely used by law enforcement for identification reasons. Remember Big Brother is watching you.

Stogy, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  9. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

As stated earlier GA only issues a rear tag, and they do have a provision for YOM tags if you carry the issued tag with you.
    Several years ago, after the appearance of lidar (laser) speed guns the GSP lobbied and got a bill introduced to go to a requirement of front tags. Car & Driver mag at the time was big on reporting anything to do with electronic speed detecting devices and also testing the devices sold to avoid speeding tickets. They stated that having a front licence plate to aim at almost doubled the range of the laser guns. At the time, I knew the legislator that was chairman of the committee thru which "public safety" bills had to pass before getting to a vote. Lots of my friends and I called the legislator, whom we knew to oppose speed traps, and that bill never got out of committee!:)
    Another, sorta funny story: In '55, I went to Texas, and while there I bought a complete and good running 1930 Model "A" roadster, and drove it back home to GA when I returned.
    Texas had frt. & rr plates, and I was still driving the car around on them, trying to wait and buy tags when the new ones came out in a couple months. Parked the roadster at the gas station and left with a friend in his car for awhile and when I returned one of the station attendants told me that the local motorcycle cop had stopped in for a Coke while I was gone and commented that they were gonna ticket me soon if I didn't get a GA tag. So I went right then to courthouse and bought a tag, mounted it on the back and left the TX tag on frt.
    Couple of days later was downtown in business district, met a pair of cops in a car headed the opposing way, and spotted them eyeballing that TX tag;) on the front.
    Watched in mirror and saw them make a U turn and work thru traffic till they got behind me and saw the new GA tag, and they turned off at the next corner:p

Hombre likes this.
  10. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

The sad part is that it they said it would save over a million dollars a year not to produce front plates but law enforcement wants to keep them so they just get the money by raising you license plate fee's.
    It's easier for them to track people with front plates with their plate scanners.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/07/17/license-plate-scanners-aclu-privacy/2524939/

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    warbird1 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. OLD FARTS CLUB :D HRP

upload_2017-9-29_14-55-22.jpeg

robracer1, Stogy and pat59 like this.
  12. I'm not going to pretend that I understand just how they administer this, but can tell you that I don't see front plates on almost any late Mustangs and Camaros. On the Mustangs, installing the front plate with the factory mount requires drilling holes in the front bumper cover; when I bought mine, the dealer didn't install the mount, telling me 'nobody likes the damn ugly mounts and the cops won't bother you'. I went to the local Mustang show a few years ago, and virtually none of the late Mustangs had the front plate installed. I asked more than a few owners if the LEOs hassled them about the plate, and all said 'nope'.

2004 was the last year you could mount a front plate on a Corvette, after that GM didn't even pretend to have a mount. I wonder if allowing 'lesser' cars to have the same option might not be a minor show of egalitarianism on the part of the LEOS... LOL.

I initially fabricated and installed an 'alternative' mount for mine, but after scraping it off on curbs a few times, left it off finally. None of the local LEOs have given me a second glance...

13. Commiefornia requires one front and back; but it doesn't say they have to match. I had the front one made. GoSurf.JPG Surfs Up.JPG

14. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

MA requires two plates unless you are running YOM and only have on plate that qualifies (RMV have to approve the old plate is unaltered and legible. Theoretically they can allow you to use only one plate if only one of the pair qualify and they are feeling generous, not a common occurrence in my experience)

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know what part of the state Chryslerfan55 or Billy Bandit live in but it isn't the Yakima valley. Unless things have changed in the pAst year no front plate is a quick way to get pulled over and no front bumper or plate will make it instantly.

Sent from my VS988 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. raymay

raymay

New York unfortunately requires two plates.
    20747969_1540959445965304_6116924993460159103_o.jpg

17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ca still does, but I normally don't run one and they mostly overlook it....HOWEVER...about 30 years ago my wife got ticketed for no front plate, the fact that she was a smoking hot 20 something in a convertible and a halter top, MAY have had something to do with it...she said the cop was really nice. IMG_0761.JPG IMG_1016.JPG

Rich B. and Hombre like this.
  18. That has always been my argument. If they can have a tiny one and meet all the 'requirements' WTF do cars have to have billboards?:confused:

19. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Dear Wife got a ticket, about 150$ plus getting a cop to sign off a fixit...... arrrrrg!

20. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Bama quit using two plates in the late 50's or early 60's. If you are running YOM plates, you can run the matching front if you want, but it's not required. I think most of them had the word FRONT on them, so even if somebody had the matching front number plate to one rear you had, they still couldn't use it. The way our plates are numbered, they used the same number sequence for most years, a county prefix number, 1 up to 67 for the 67 counties, then the tag number, so it is possible to have several years with the same numbers, but they will only register the number sequence once, so anybody else with that same number but from a different year is out of luck.

21. Same here and I used to have fix it tickets that covered half the side of the refrigerator to prove it

22. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Maybe a carriers deal. My regular insurance Travelers said regular plates regular charges. American Collectors Inc said historic or yom for agreed value stuff.

23. Wisconsin used to be this way, but now they state if you received 2 plates you are required to place one front and rear. I didn't put a front mount on my 37 Dodge so I don't run a front plate, I suppose some day I'll pay.

24. 49deluxe

49deluxe

In Kansas they only require one. I bought a YOM plate at an antique shop, took it down to the tag office now I don’t have to pay any registration on it. Once its registered as a classic, with or without YOM plates, you don’t have any registration to renew any more ever again. That is so nice

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

25. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make your rearend look big? Well, my Deuce is very similar to your Deuce, both with LARGE tires, and each looks big. I built my roadster to resemble Gary Kessler's yellow Deuce, but those 31x12.5 Hoosiers coupled with 10" steelies create enough unsprung weight at 75 mph to make for a rough ride on typical asphalt on interstates. But, looks outweigh the rough ride currently. Your ride looks bitchin', just as it should.

26. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If you desire an antique plate in Texas, you are issued one, but it is garish and ugly by most rodders' standards. You are required to show a matching pair of YOM plates, but most run only the rear. For normally-issued plates, two are required and the police will knab you for displaying one.

27. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

NY does require two but if you find a cool set of YOM plates and the numbers sorta match you don't mind. Mine have the year, the day and month I bought my truck. I think it is cool but someone else wouldn't know.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  28. Deuces

Deuces

Rear plate only in Michigan....

29. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr