Register now to get rid of these ads!

History We all have a rear license plate but -

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 28, 2017.

1. WV is only required to run the rear plate. That is all the DMV gives you.:) You can run a YOM plate after the local DMV copies the plate and sends it to Charleston to see if it still registered:rolleyes:. Have a 1929 plate on my Model A, 1962 plate on the wife's Falcon and a 1964 B plate on my 64 F 250 High Boy.

3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  2. 24riverview

24riverview

Iowa Code 321.37 – Display of plates
    2. Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle which is model year 1948 or older, and reconstructed or specially constructed vehicles built to resemble a model year 1948 vehicle or older, other than a truck registered for more than five tons, motorcycle, or truck tractor, may display one registration plate on the rear of the vehicle if the other registration plate issued to the vehicle is carried in the vehicle at all times when the vehicle is operated on a public highway.

nochop, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  3. bobbytnm

bobbytnm

We only have rear plates in New Mexico

4. Let's blame it on a temporary lapse of clarity,a faux pas on my part that has been corrected.

Within the last 10 years we are allowed to register a YOM plate if it is approved by the SCDMV in Columbia,they send us a registration card and a sticker to keep in the car at all times. HRP

[​IMG]

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

California requires both unless you own a later model Covette. Owners are "Special" and they don't have them on their cars... :confused:

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Jeez guess I'll have to check where my front plate is..Haven't been hassled in CT, MA, or NY..

7. Old Jed is correct,the Southern vernacular is probably our most-loved pronoun: Y'all. HRP

8. Actually, there's one more Washington exception; you're not required to run a front plate if the vehicle isn't set up for one and/or requires modifying to fit one. Think Corvettes, exotics, even late Mustangs and Camaros. Basically, if the vehicle has a front mount and no plate, you'll get pulled over. No visible mount, generally no problem. It's open to 'interpretation' by individual LEOs, so pulling the mount off may or may not fly depending on the vehicle....

9. Ha.
    I remember when I was a younger hotrodder in Florida in the early 70s
    A popular front tag was their safety crusade slogan of the time.
    Also, small stores called "Head Shops" were common, and selling their own version which were also seen on cars around town.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A sign of the crazy times.

why be ordinary?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  10. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Calif, need front plate and has to be secured properly. Found out the hard way. front plate also helps Cops spot stolen car.

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

nochop, 3W JOHN and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  11. Rear plates only in Kansas

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's hard to believe wow.
    Nope Tighter...:D

13. It used to be here in South Australia you only needed a rear. When I was a lad I had a '64 Chevy, so I ran the legal one on the back, and a Illonois plate on the front, which I bought at yard sale in Japan. One night I was illegally parked, so I ended up with 2 parking fines, one for each plate! The fines were about 15 minutes apart, and it was done by the same inspector.
    I paid the legit one, but not the U.S. one. Good luck with finding that one!

3W JOHN, HOTRODPRIMER and Stogy like this.
  14. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

NY front and rear. Historic reg also. If historic reg on YOM tag it depends on year. Several years early to mid 40's only rear, then again during the Korean Conflict rear only. Mine is Yom rear only, been pulled over twice and had to wait till officer searched the DMV website for which years were single plate. We have to still pay yearly for registration renewal. For this we get an ugly sticker to put on the windshield to certify we are current. Historic fee is flat rate, daily drivers go for two years based on weight. You can put regular plates on old cars, but then you can't insure through classic car coverage vendors. Typical insurance rates for dailys can be 600 or more per year by depending on vehicle, driving record, and where you live. I pay 175.00 total a year for two vehicles for agreed value coverage. Would probably be 700 a year each on DD type coverage with regular plates.

15. uncle buck

uncle buck

Actually that is only part true.... that rule only applies to vehicles registered as a collector vehicle. Standard daily driver vehicles require front and rear
    I see 1946caddy beat me to that

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

16. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

I don't suppose you have the W.A.C. code on that.

17. DaPeach

DaPeach
    from NE OH

Ohio reqs front & rear but I've never run a front since I started driving. Over 31 years, only had one "warning". I live pretty close to PA border & like to think they don't pay too close of attention to that here. My off topic DD was originally sold in PA, so no holes in the bumper either.

18. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always thought the old California motorcycle plates were neat, curved to fit over the rear fender. Bob
    [​IMG]

19. It's not a WAC rule.... RCW46.16A.200(5b)

20. Lil32

Lil32

we need both plates in my State
    a few years ago I was in a country town and the police saw my front plate
    and said it was not vertical as the law requires, it was slightly leaning back
    it cost me $ 260 fine.

21. kiwi54chev

kiwi54chev

Got to run front and rear down here in New Zealand, and the cops just love to hassle you if you forget it.

22. All states in Australia love revenue from speed cameras and red light cameras. Therefore to take the nice of picture of offenders, we have to have both plates because cameras can take photos from either direction, depending.

It's the job of the police to make sure we are all able to be fined.

The cops are also a source of revenue and a missing front plate is easy meat.

I remember years ago a cop in a country town was ensconced by the side of the highway near the town pulling over all the naughty city folks in hot rods heading to a run without front plates. Including ones mounted behind grilles. Sometimes small town cops have nothing better to do.

23. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

So has the WSP made any exceptions under the RCW that are in writing or is it per the officers judgment when he pulls someone over.

24. Officers judgement, with supposedly a set of 'guidelines' to assist them. Or so I was told..... I don't know about where you live, but I see a fair number of cars minus the front plate here, they can't be ticketing very many. I do know of at least a few instances where the drivers were warned to install the front plate, but these were cars that have an obvious place to install one.

25. Both are required in VA, but I only use the rear on the '57.

26. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Front and rear down here as well as fenders are mandatory unless an original pre-1950 single plate car that has had continuous registration since YOM. My local 1948 GM product was issued with only a rear plate before they changed to issuing two.
    I remember 40yrs ago now as a 17yr old being pulled over by the boys in blue and asked where my front plate was. I said the car was only issued with the rear, that had them stumped and lost for words before one of them said "On your way then" and that ended the lesson.

27. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Maybe "We'uns" would have been clearer;)

28. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    In California, it's not a matter of whether or not your car has the mounts or bolt holes in the bumper. According to the DMV, if you were issued two plates (as are all passenger vehicles), you are required to have two plates on your car, front & back. Vehicle Code section 5200 If you happen to only be issued one plate by accident, it is your responsibility to get another one.

Here's what the state Department of Motor Vehicles has to say:

"Vehicles registered in California must display valid license plates as evidence of current registration. Passenger vehicles display two license plates -- one plate on the front of the car and one plate on the back of the car."

Newer cars used to have smooth front bumpers and it was up to the new owner to drill in the mounting screws and frames. The dealer would hand you a front bumper mounting bracket... But, who wants to ruin a good front bumper?

So, the dealers have begun to install their own front license plate holders as part of the "prep" deal. They usually don't tell you about drilling new holes in the bumper. You can insist that you will do it yourself... Also, it is another way for them to advertise their dealership on your car.

If something is wrong with your old/new car, driving antics, suspicious behavior, etc. you could get pulled over, old car or new. Then the vehicle check starts and you will get a citation for the missing front bumper license plate. Any roadside check points...sobriety or otherwise, definitely get a citation/notice to install a front bumper plate.

Jnaki
    But, for the most part, if you are driving well, car is in good shape, not suspicious looking, car is not very loud, or lowered to the ground, then you will get by with only a rear plate. Anything other than that, you are pretty common and safe, for now. Try avoiding those random vehicle checkpoints set up under the guise of safety...

29. silent rick

silent rick

why do you ask?

30. Truckedup

Truckedup

Unless things have changed in the last few years....I had classic insurance on several vintage trucks with regular plates.. Plates are state required stuff so I won't pay more to have vanity or YOM plates..