Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures Pikes Peak: No Margin for Error

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Sep 28, 2017.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber submitted a new blog post:

Pikes Peak: No Margin for Error

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. slowmotion

slowmotion

It was a real treat when Wide World of Sports covered it annually in the 60's, Unser Mountain!
    Thanks J-B.

64 DODGE 440 and catdad49 like this.
  3. belair

belair

Big. Brass. Balls.

slowmotion likes this.
  4. 6inarow

6inarow

We used to sit at Devils Playground to watch. Went for years. Great event that was not well attended way back then

5. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

Ken Block is an amazing driver and his 65 Stang is retarded fast, I love the car even if it is Ford powered, He is a major competitor in Formula Drift as well. We do engines for Sikky who also run Formula D and he runs very well all the time. I watched that Video he tore that up.

6. Y-Blocks shine this year at the event. ;)

7. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Curtis Turner won the stock class in 62 in a Ford. I've seen a picture of him a little sideways with the big rooster tail behind him and no guardrail in sight. Now this wont mean a lot to most of you, but we had one of those cars when I was a kid, and the thought of running that fast on the dirt, up the side of the mountain, in that old car just gives a new appreciation to what some of those guys did with a car. Nice Post:)

MikeRogers, Hnstray and slowmotion like this.
  8. I drove it for pleasure a couple times- actually got stopped for speeding once- I said I never went over 55 mph- speed limit on the Peak is 25 mph-

9. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

We are building a 62 Falcon, using Aaron Kauffman's 63 as inspiration. It's going yo be a blast plan is a drift inspired build.

4-link rear
    M2 front
    302/T5
    Subframe connectors
    Hydraulic hand brake
    Should be a blast IMG_20170826_094509253_HDR.jpg
    Oh and the hideous wheels are going in favor of some Cragar Soft 8's.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

MikeRogers and belair like this.
  10. Thank you, (I didn't see the wheel comment till well after I saw those wheels.) :)

Hnstray likes this.
  11. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

12. fatkoop

fatkoop

Other than Indy, Pikes Peak is the 2nd oldest annual race in the U.S. Was REALLY exciting in the old days, on dirt. Since it has been paved, I feel it has lost some of its glory.

13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Around 1980 I was on a motorcycle trip through Colorado and it included riding to the top of Pike's Peak. I had long been aware of the automotive race, but riding that road had a powerful effect on my admiration for the bravery and skill of the race drivers! It must have required awesome courage on their part........

Jive-Bomber.........thanks for posting the video!!

Ray

14. AmishMike

AmishMike

1st the race was ruined when the road was paved. Next some cars run modern EFI systems that adjust for adtitude changes. Add in "airo" and modern "fat gumball tires" and it is a different race - ruined like so many others.

Speedwrench likes this.
  15. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I disagree, you have to progress with the times at some point. They run much faster today than they used to.

Sent from my XT1585 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  16. Went to Pikes Peak 3 times with Ak Miller. Watched him run up the hill from 3 different vantage points. Scared the crap out of me at all 3. I asked him if it scared him. He said only when he got too close to the edge! Ak loved throwing the car sideways, he didn't get to do that on road courses.

Rex_A_Lott, MikeRogers and Hnstray like this.
  17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And a roll cage!

18. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

My pops and his good friend and driver Thom Jamison raced the Pikes Peak in the early 60's. They started out with a 61 Corvette and in 1964 ran a brand new 1964 fuelie right off the show room floor with just 900 miles on the car.
    During a practice run rounding the corner at Brown Bush a race official was on the course when he should not have been and they hit head on. Thom was doing around 75 mph when they hit. Both survived the crash but that was the end of their racing in the Peak. the car was sold and hauled off. I recently learned that the Corvette was fully restored
    and was featured in 2013 in the Hagerty classic car magazine.
    ppih0426.jpg 20170917_163818.jpg ppih0452.jpg ppih0430.jpg tumblr_nk0wi7hcdB1sktsvao1_500.jpg tumblr_inline_nk0x8bvn7X1qzt3z0 (1).jpg

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
    Montana1, Sting Ray and Hnstray like this.
  19. When did they pave the road- was not paved when I went in 2002?

20. DC40

DC40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I raced Pikes Peak in 1997, it was the 75th Anniversary of the hill climb. I drove an off topic 5/8 scale 37 Ford race car. There was no room for error as I went off the mountain at Engineers Corner during practice and spent the next day rebuilding the car so I could qualify and race on race day. There was only a couple of places that were paved then but I know it's been paved since. I will say that of all of the racing I have done it was by far the most memorable race.

Billy_Bottle_Caps and Mr48chev like this.