Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Damn,I hate it when someone says nice rat rod!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Sep 27, 2017.

1. ...who really cares what they call it, at least they liked what they saw...my old cars are just beaters.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    wraymen, els, 302GMC and 2 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I must also say and it is a little unfortunate is traditional Hotrods and Customs my way are a rare breed indeed. It is evidenced by my lack of pictures to take at cruises I go to and I'm not going to throw streetrods in as filler. Its no surprise Traditional gets lumped in with one or the other. Even daily driving Hamb friendly is not very common. I am amazed at some of the events elsewhere lots of Hamb worthy but again not here.

Thats why this place is where I find some comfort. We here are a niche group, elitist maybe a bit here and there but it goes both ways.

els, HOTRODPRIMER and seb fontana like this.
  3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Blasphemers! They obviously watch too much TV, are unable to recognise the difference and need remedial training. A RR is nothing like a traditional hot rod!

4. XXL__

XXL__

Smile, nod, say thanks, move on. There's no victory in correcting someone who's trying to compliment you, and doesn't know enough about the terminology.

If the person, however, is inquisitive (ie, "Hey is this what they call a 'rat rod?'"), then they're asking you to correct. Teach them well.

/2 cents

els, 18n57, Texas57 and 6 others like this.
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

They're the guys that Copyrighted "BadAss" right? Bob

Stogy, els and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, I have long tired of that term, it just comes across as an empty minded response.
    I've been "lectured" as to my propensity to paint certain groups with a broad brush.
    But to quote a friend of mine "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck".......................

Stogy, els and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  7. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Finally, someone speaking sensibly. I'd venture to say that 99% of the people making a comment
    about a rod do it to complement the owner, not to insult him. Many of you guys don't dig smoothie
    or billet cars and seem to hate late model muscle. Does that make you a dipshit or a wanker?

wraymen, els, rc57 and 2 others like this.
  8. I would never think "ratrod" if I saw yours. But in all honesty, some "rat rods" are closer to the real hot rods of the '50s than most of what are called hot rods here. Most I see here [ and I like them!] would have been called custom rod or such in my day. Maybe even street rod, although I believe that name came in later, maybe late'60s or so.
    Along this same line are those that say rims when they mean wheels. Bugs the shit out of me!

My 2 cents

Ben

els and clunker like this.
  9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Nice rat rod.
    Thanks, nice Prius ;) :D:D

els, Stogy, mad mikey and 1 other person like this.
  10. Your right I don't like that style,If I did I would find me another site that caters to late models. HRP

Chiss, els, mad mikey and 1 other person like this.
  11. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Danny, I didn't know you had put a big block Chevy in there! That's what a rat rod is, isn't it?

Ravenwood and els like this.
  12. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

13. rush549

rush549
    from Kansas

I won best rat rod at a local car show. The prize was $100.00. They can call it a rat rod all they like...
    906dc65a91f35e6b2bcc4fe82fc26198.jpg

14. Donuts & Peelouts

Donuts & Peelouts
    from , CA

els likes this.
  15. Ya know , part of the confusion might be coming from this "preserved patina" fad. (which I don't get, BTW).
    A few years ago, I remember Hot Rod featured a 52 De Soto or Chrysler station wagon..Modern hemi, six speed automatic, modern chassis, brakes, electronics, and suspension, AND... original crusty, rusty ,faded body and paint.
    Now, would you expect the average neophyte to not want to use the RR moniker on that car, at first glance?

16. Yea Rush549 that is a nice hot rod.
    Funny story, did you try to explain the difference or just pick up the hundred bucks and leave?

els and Donuts & Peelouts like this.
  17. cavman

cavman

"It don't mean nuthin" Seriously, I once owned a beautiful shiny black '57 Nomad that my dear wife drove to work every day in the summer for 12 years. Once there was a death in the family (her side, close) One of her family members requested that we NOT show up at the funeral driving that "Hearse"....we took it any way. Like I said, It don't mean nuthin, Drive on...

els likes this.
  18. This^
    I've been asked if my off topic 1980 Triumph spitfire was a rat rod. (has shiny red paint) Sometimes the asker/complimenter just wants to start a conversation and "rat rod" is a term they have heard used in a conversation about old cars. Engage them with a smile and politely explain the differences between your car and a rat rod without making them feel they have mis-spoken or hurt your feelings
    You catch more flies with honey than you do with vinagar!

els, Texas57, clunker and 3 others like this.
  19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

That's not the point. Should I call you an a*****e because you don't dig Fox body Mustangs or a
    455 horsepower late model Camaro SS? Hell no, you like what you like and know about. Remember
    a time when car shows were made up of quality modified cars with a ton of chrome and paint that
    shined like new money? I think many people still expect to see that. Anything less is an unfinished
    car or a hastily done "rat rod" to them. I'm just saying cut the uninformed some slack.

Cars  EDITED.jpg

els and Gary Reynolds like this.
  20. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I do,if I get the time,tell them"I think you mean well,but the name "RAT ROD" }may not mean what you think it dose{ RAT= "R"rusty,"A"alfull,"T"trash,that has crap on it.
    Thanks,happy you like my" Hot Rod",hope your understanding of the word "RAT" is better now.!!!

els and pat59 like this.
  21. desotot

desotot

^^^^ a perfect example of a hot rod and a parts car^^^^

Fordor Ron and els like this.
  22. Hear it all the time. Sometimes I explain, others I just smile and nod.

Stogy and els like this.
  23. Alaska Jim

Alaska Jim

Tell them you consider that an insult to you and your car, smile and drive away, I do. I hate that term, and it pisses me off when I hear it from people that I know, that should know better.

els likes this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Rats driving a Hotrod...:D

els likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I hear "nice Valiant" when I drive my Falcon.

All I heard was "nice roadster" when I still had my '29 Closed-Cab pickup on the road.

As long as they say nice, and seem like they really are sincere, I just have to let it go.

els and ClarkH like this.
  26. bucketmouth

bucketmouth
    from Australia

I repainted my roadster black but didnt clear it so it looks like a satin black now. In fact i blacked the whole car out chrome and all.I like it but the number of times people call it a r@# r*$ I hate it.

els likes this.
  27. k9racer

k9racer

Street Rod is a dependable Hot Rod that is driven on the highway and not a race only machine.

els and clunker like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

An absolute classic!
    I think a lot of this came about when the unwashed public went to a "roadster" show and suddenly everything there had to be a roadster in their eyes.

els and Texas57 like this.
  29. 1946caddy

1946caddy
    from washington

Quite a few years ago, A friend of mine was sitting at a stoplight in his fenderless 32 roadster and started hitting on the girl in the car next to him. He asked her if she wanted a ride and she replied, no, she had ridden in a dune buggy before. He shut right up.

bucketmouth, els, Texas57 and 2 others like this.
  30. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You know I just posted earlier about a fellow calling the Hotrod a Streetrod. There was an article from the fifties or late forties calling them just that posted in another debate thread. It's just so darn complicated...Rats!!!:eek:

els likes this.