Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with selling a part

Discussion in 'Questions & Suggestions' started by fyrffytr1, Sep 27, 2017.

1. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I advertised a part for sale yesterday and a member said he would take it but the e-mail address he gave me was wrong. I looked him up and he joined in 2015 but has 0 posts, 0 likes and 0 trophy points.
    Should I be leery of this buyer. He said he would pay me using Paypal.

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, how expensive is the part your selling? If its $25 or something like that you could take a chance that he is on the up and up. If however the part is worth a hell of a lot more I would be asking a shit load more questions to clarify that this is not some dipshit scammer trying to separate you from your part. Make sure you didn't copy the email address down wrong or something like that. Its pretty easy to figure out when they are scammers as they eventually will start giving some song and dance about they can't do this they can't do that..... blah blah blah. I don't have a lot of postings, likes, or dislikes, but I have been a member here since 2006. Was mostly reading and learning for a long time so didn't contribute much until recently.

3. somebody joined in 2015 and zero posts. I wonder if the scammers have figured out how to change member date.
    that being said, I personally dont deal with those that dont contribute to the site, makes me suspect.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. I don't get it. You get the money then send the part. If you are worried about him contesting the deal through pay pal have him send a USPMO and you can cash it and send the part off in one stop.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I'm watching M*A*S*H on METV.

6. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

The e-mail address was incomplete. ..............@gmail was all I had. I sent him a message but haven't heard back. And, the part is small dollar. To me it is not the amount but the principal of the thing. He asked if I took Paypal and for the amount the part is selling for that would be fine. I have sent big ticket items to members of another forum in the past before receiving payment and never got burned. I just wanted opinions on a member with 0 posts in two years mainly because I don't know if it is a scam and there would be someway for my information to get stolen. I guess I'm getting cranky in my old age.

7. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wait for him to contact you, and for him to make full payment before shipping

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Every classifieds transaction is a risk. Paypal reduces the risk, but doesn't eliminate it.

I once bought a set of 34 Ford coupe garnish moldings from a guy who registered two weeks before the transaction and had zero posts. Yes, it was a pretty good sized risk on my end, but I ended up with a killer deal on a cherry set of moldings.

Fortune favors the bold, I say go for it.

-Abone.

9. oldolds

oldolds

10. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I sent him a private message through this board and will wait for his reply.

11. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

I got a reply with a correct e-mail so I am going to see what happens.

12. ..........................Like wraymen said, get the money , send the part. Seems pretty simple to me.

X38 and wraymen like this.
  13. just get cash up front then no problemo

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

14. Damn, I thought I was Bruce Willis in "Sixth Sense".

Last edited: Sep 28, 2017
  15. I don't think I would ever send money to someone I didn't know, just hoping I get a part back. Works both ways.

16. compact

compact

question guys , aussie that doesnt get on here much but i found a part in the parts for sale that i would like but can not reply as it says i do not have permission to post there ....am i missing something ...been awhile since ive been on here

17. During your absence they changed to software so nobody can reply to a classified ad. You need to PM or email the seller.

Charlie Stephens

18. fyrffytr1

fyrffytr1

Just a quick update so Y'all can quit worrying. I got a money order yesterday, cashed it and mailed the part out today.