Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Found Film

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ryan, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Found Film

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

charleyw, Dog_Patch, Rui and 6 others like this.
  2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A guy couldn't go wrong with any of those 4 rides!

tfeverfred and lothiandon1940 like this.
  3. Hotrods and warbirds! A perfect combination. Thanks for sharing!

The 39 guy likes this.

4. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Very nice! I got out there a little later that day and was shooting with my medium format camera. I just remember hanging out after the show talking film with Sean Johnstun afterwards. Somewhere I've got some great shots of everyone's cars on the grass.

5. belair

belair

can't go wrong with fighters and hot rods.

tfeverfred likes this.
  6. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

film rocks...digital seems so temporary to me....we should all go back to film and photo albums so that the images from today can be enjoyed for generations... can you imagine if a lost image was on an old floppy disc ??

7. sololobo

sololobo

all killer no filler, two of my fave hot rods ever, the nose art on the p-51 is smoking hot. Thanx for sharing these great images.

8. silverdome

silverdome

What a nice surprise. I thought I was the only one that left film in a drawer for years.

9. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Did you actually process the film? Slide?
    If I remember right it was a long and multi chemistry process,,
    Very nice images,, a photographer can capture 'the shot' with any medium from pinhole to mega pixel camera,,,

10. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I miss film so bad. .20 cents per shot, every one had to count.
    Now everyone is Ansel Adams.
    50 pics of the dog laying on the couch. Jeeeez.
    I was a Photographer in the Navy, much schooling and opportunity to practice.

Rolleiflex likes this.
  11. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

C41 developing is miserable. It's not a ton of chemistry, it's just super sensitive to chemical temperature. I still do all of my own Black and White stuff, but I don't do my own color unless it's some bullshit roll like I thought this one was. My odds of screwing up are pretty high.

bonesy and mctim64 like this.
  12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I just developed 6 rolls of Tri-X myself and had four rolls of Portra developed at the shop. That's 360 shots... Out of those, maybe 10 or 12 are worth a shit at all. And really, those 10 or 12 are only interesting because they are on film... The novelty makes it fun.

At the end of the day, I'd go broke fast if I tried to take photographs for a living. I just like doing it though...

czuch likes this.
  13. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

Not to worry, a number of great photographers are going broke fast,, I work for the government doing forms, flyers and reports to make a living.

14. dammit Ryan, these shots are more than hot! always a pleasure to read your thoughts,

Yours, Carsten

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

well done - some things in life are worth waiting for - the surprise factor is great too

16. Normant93

Normant93

Great photos Ryan, and a timely discussion for me.
    As I have continued to sort through boxes of my Dad's old stuff, I came across some rolls of Ektachrome film that, I suspect, were exposed back in the 60's when my dad used his old rolleiflex camera (also found that and a Durst enlarger) anyone know if film that old could still be developed?

czuch likes this.
  17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

It's sad to me that people no longer will know the anxiety of waiting to see the results of their labor of taking a good Photograph. I taught Photography for forty years and my students always were so thrilled when they developed and printed their own images. The feeling of self worth and accomplishment was always worth the effort of teaching them to do it. It was investment of yourself in process something that now will no longer exist ... except for a few.

czuch and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. kkarlsrud

kkarlsrud
    from MN

These shots are killer! Nothing better than a Hot Rod and a P-51!!!

19. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D Great photos Ryan.Thanks for posting.As someone else said"Hot rods and warbirds",what a great combination.The first photo shows a real rare warbird.The A6M Zero fighter.IIRC,it`s the only flying example in existance.
    Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

Nobey and czuch like this.
  20. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

You can still get Ektachrome developed no sweat... It's kodachrome that you can't get developed anymore... Which is a shame. I have four rolls of Kodachrome taken by a Southern California hot rodder in the 1950's that I am dying to get developed but can't without some risky process of removing a layer of the film. There are rumors that Kodak could bring it back, so I'm holding out.

21. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Ryan these are killerrrrrrrrrrr! These definitely don't look like they were shot in 2007. Maybe 1947?

22. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

This is portra developed by these guys:

http://www.richardphotolab.com

They worked with my on some test rolls and came up with a color profile that I really like. Typically, I shoot Portra 400 and expose for 200 as well as meter on the shadows. This always gives me the colors and contrast that I like. In this case, I shot portra and I probably exposed it at 400... and it sat in a desk for damned near a decade... and they were still able to develop the film to match my more recent stuff... They are really good and really expensive, but you should try them sometime.

bonesy and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  23. Love it! My favorite is the one with the T-6 flying in the background.

24. Not to hijack this thread, those are good shots, but I found this undeveloped roll of film after my Dad passed away in 2008. I think it was from 1937, I developed these in 2010, 73 years in the can. He was an avid photographer. The problem was the negatives would not lay flat, they had a permanent curl to them....Here are a few: p1.jpg p2.jpg p3.jpg

charleyw, bonesy, Fern 54 and 2 others like this.
  25. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Oh wow I would've never guessed it was portra. I always get yellow tones out of portra 400/800. Not really 160. I honestly didn't even know you could alter the process to match a desired color profile, but thats great to know. Maybe ill shoot a few rolls of portra and try them out next shoot. I was figuring this was cinestill.

26. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ahh....yes. Film. I miss taking a roll to the Fox Photo booth and waiting a week. Good times.:D

27. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Oh. My. God. These are flat out amazing. So, so good...

I've pretty much settled on Portra 400 as my color film. I love Cinestill, but it's hard to get sometimes...

In any case (and sorry for taking this off topic guys, but I'm a film geek), here's a photo from a fresh roll of Portra developed with the same color profile:

009674-R1-033.jpg

The yellows are popping like mad (as you said), but the blues are still true and the whites are white... I think my process of over exposing the film helps this a lot... Like I said, I exposed at 200 iso (rather than 400) and on this shot, I metered off her shirt.

28. HelmuthBrothers

HelmuthBrothers
    from New Jersey

Oh wow yeah that looks awesome man. The colors are incredible. Next roll of portra ill meter at 200 and have them process it that way.