Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need some help blending different colored fenders into old patina....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jim Lato, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

SO,
    fellas... i got A 1955 ALL original Pontiac chieftain, it needed new fenders so i got two different colors, it kind of looks cool cause of all the patina and what not.. which i want to keep. but i am repairing the rockers and i need the front fenders to match "shittally" with the rest of the car.
    How does one perfect doing a shitty paint job to kind of match an old patina look? there is rusty finish everywhere else and i do not need to have the rust look. just a black that looks like garbage mostly lol.
    see attached photos! from first to last is the timeline of the fixing from when i first got it to where it is now currently in the shop.
    "EDIT, NO IDEAS AND CRITICISM IS WELCOME haha"
    any ideas or inputs or criticism is welcomed. i really love this car. i have a great time in it and im keeping everything original. i was installing the original reverse lights the other day and all of the sudden the old girl pulled some "Christine" stuff on me and the radio started working, am radio blasting classic rock on a am station... coincidence?? she must be happy.
    55pontiac9.jpg 55pontiac10.jpg 55ponitac2.jpg 55pontiac1.jpg 55pontiac3.jpg 55pontiac4.jpg 55pontiac5.jpg 55pontiac8.jpg IMG_3109.JPG IMG_3110.JPG IMG_3111.JPG IMG_2131.JPG

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Put the old fenders back on the car.

If you want to make the car look nice, then paint the whole thing.

clem, rjones35, 49ratfink and 14 others like this.
  3. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

the only reason why i changed them is because they are too far damaged. and i dont want to paint it or for it to look nice, i just want the black to match.. so if there is any tricks to painting the front fenders but keeping the old look im looking for tricks.. not to put those old ones back on. they are beat up bad

4. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

the headlight on the drivers side is crushed in, the pockets in the fenders where the bumpers meet are gone and sides were smashed up as well. plus they tried welding shit to the headlight buckets which were gone. i have them replaced

wingedexpress likes this.

5. upspirate

upspirate

The tubes warmed up in the radio which made it come on when you were testing the lights.
    I'm with Squirrel, paint it or use the old fenders......not fond of "patina" (rust)

Flathead Dave likes this.
  6. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

but i do not want it to look "nice" i am keeping the pulled it out of the pasture look but fixing the rot and what not... so shes solid.

Rat Daddio likes this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

8. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

ya i seen the tubes so i figured that is what happend, just was weird when steppen wolf came on out of nowhere.
    this car wont see new paint, not for a long time anyways. ill just try satin black or something i guess. ill figure it out

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i have cars that i have fixed up like you guys are saying, and all im doing is trying something new...

Rat Daddio likes this.
  10. squirrel

squirrel

You might consider using your trusty oxyacetylene torch, and weld in parts from the "new" fenders, to repair the "old" fenders. It would keep that old time look, and add some old time repairs, and you won't have to "fake" anything.

RMONTY, Speedys Garage and Frankie47 like this.
  11. It's your car so do'er like you want, but those pontiacs sure do look good in a two tone red and white, just my 2 cents.

czuch, monkeysmooks and Jim Lato like this.
  12. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

maybe thats what i could do, lay that fender flat and heat up those serious crinkles and see if i can peen out that spot.

13. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

That a fairly good shape old Pontiac.
    Glad to see a young man interested in these old pieces of transportation. Fun isn't it?
    Squirrels correct in saying this needs a repaint.
    Hopefully someday you'll tackle it.
    In the meantime get yourself a nice piece of sheet metal and do some test samples.
    You'll never get the wear look that you are striving for but you can get close to the color and sheen.
    Sometimes after the paint dries thoroughly, a fine finish pad scrub may improve the new paint look.
    Patience is the key. Don't test on the car.

czuch and clunker like this.
  14. LAROKE

LAROKE

If you don't want it to look "nice", don't do anything . . . You're already there.

15. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It can be done. Photos below are proof that mismatched panels can be brought together without a total repaint. This was done with layers of spray paint. Stencils of random shapes were used to create some effects to simulate layers of paint, rust and primer.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

itsmee, lewk, UNCLECHET and 9 others like this.
  16. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i agree, if you look close i found a cool color for the steelies, dark metallic red with baby moons, looks good in the sun. i kind of like the new fenders i put on it, it really grabs peoples attention, but i have seen some neat cars where all the original panels and fenders are in place and that looks great as well.
    just taking everyone's opinions and tryin to build a plan with this old girl

17. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

very beautiful! this is what im trying to do.

18. Barn Find

Barn Find
    from Missouri

It looks like a fun car the way it is. It also looks genuine. Swapped front fenders were a natural improvement. It has not been molested. Replace those rockers, paint them black, do some drifting on some gravel roads to season the finish, and maybe the front fenders will grow on you just the way they are.

czuch, Rat Daddio and Jim Lato like this.
  19. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i would definitely like to learn more about your techniques and how to go about it with my car, man your truck looks cool!

20. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

barnfind, that is kind of what i have been doing and i kind of feel like they are growing on me... i do get alot of attention, minimum of 20 mins before i get to leave gas stations ha. but im still super interested in learning more about how you accomplished this. from what you have told me so far. you have a eye for it and from your photos! art at its finest!

21. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

Please ,please NO FAKE PATINA.

Jim Lato likes this.
  22. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i found this, this morning and i really like the rims. but love how the original primer is coming out and some surface rust as well. im trying to think how i can accomplish this look. like you said i dont want to molest this car or change it much. but i wanna keep it like this. i doubt id slam mine to the ground. probably a 1" or 2" lower but not that low s-l400.jpg

23. squirrel

squirrel

The way you accomplish that look, is to buy the right car.

49ratfink and trailerpark like this.
  24. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

25. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

i beg to differ

clunker likes this.
  26. squirrel

squirrel

that "look" is more than skin deep.

27. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

I don’t have unlimited money to go buy someone else’s project. I have it already. What I want. This subject is a matter of trying to find ways to perfect my build. With maybe some help from some people that LIKE this kind of stuff. Like I said before I’m only looking for helpful tricks, strategies and what not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

28. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

Well take a look under the hood or interior and you will see it’s much more than skin deep

29. Jim Lato

Jim Lato

No chevy 350 or a CD player in the thing.

30. squirrel

squirrel

My helpful strategy/tip is to keep as much original on the car as possible, and repair what really needs to be repaired in the same way that it would have been repaired years ago.

I like the look of an original old car, I don't wash them, or try to do any fake patina crap. I leave them as they are, and fix what needs to be fixed to make it work safely. I did an Edsel last year, and a Corvair this year...the Edsel ended up in a magazine.

but it's possible that I don't know what I'm talking about.