Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects The Free car build (Inspired by HAMB Andy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jake_Lancer, Sep 12, 2017.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Sorry I haven't sent the quarter glass. I didn't realize that basically all of the glass should be replaced and I found a COMPLETE glass kit online.
    I'm waiting on some cash for a car that I sold here and then I'm going to try to get you a complete glass kit.

2. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Here's a bump. The young man is looking for info on seating.

3. KKrod

KKrod

I'll be following along on this project. Great idea.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  4. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

What else do you need besides glass?

5. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

Actually in the spirit of this build, I would like to buy the glass from the HAMB if possible. Does anyone on here sell glass for a 52 Chrysler?

hotrodharry2 likes this.
  6. Budget36

Budget36

There is a HAMB'r that cuts glass on the East Coast as I recall, not sure if he does front and rear glass, he's in the list off the main page, will look for his info and repost.

7. Budget36

Budget36

8. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

What I will need to get the car on the road is:
    Brakes/All new brake lines/Brake shoes
    Will need to rebuild/ replace master cylinder and wheel cylinders as needed
    1 cocker classic white wall tire (p205/75R15)
    Left trunk hinge
    Tail light lenses
    Front Turn signal lenses
    The engine appears to be locked up, so a replacement will probably be needed. I have been offered a running 57 chevy 265 small block, and my dad has 350 turbo transmission. We may have to go that route since I'm on a tight 17 year old's budget, but it may require a 12 volt conversion.
    I would also like to find some skirts and some lowering blocks to lower the back of the car.
    I am learning a lot as I go, so I'm sure the list will grow bigger as I get into it, but the plan for now will be to leave the body and paint as is and just concentrate on what is necessary to get the car on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

9. atch

atch

Wise beyond your years, grasshopper.

Xtrom, RockinRivi, Cosmo49 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

I think it would be wise to try to locate a Mopar power train for it, going with a SBC will entail other expenses that I would think would make this a more difficult build than it would be worth. You certainly don't need to find a hemi for it, just a running 6 will do the job.

11. Hombre

Hombre

While I am a MOPAR guy and prefer them to most other engines in "Most" case's , this just may be an exception to that. So I disagree with Dick on this. A small block Chevy is just so simple and when using that TH350 as well it is a no brainer. The only thing you will need to do in the case of a 1957 265 is fabricate the front motor mounts ( Easy) a cross member for the tranny and you will need a new drive shaft. As I think about this a question arises " Do the 1952 Chrysler use a closed drive shaft? if it is an open rear then this is very simple, if not that closed driveline will need to be addressed for the Small Block. It's certainly doable no matter what...

12. The hood ornament is nice. Great project.
    The 265 only has front and bellhousing mounts. There won't be bosses cast in for side mounts, so a kit for bellhousing mounts can be bought. The tranny stuck out there with no tailshaft support. Just some info specific to the early SBCs

13. AndersF

AndersF

The front enginemounts should be a advantage couse thats what mopar had these years to.
    A backdraw is that the e-brake is on the driveshaft.
    The brakesystem this years are rather complicated to get right.
    You need to make a tool to center the brakeshoes properly to the drums.
    With this said i suggest to think about swap the rear to a more morden axle
    with better gearing for todays traffic and use the brakes on that one.
    And then look at if the 60:s backingplates for mopars fit to the spindle and drum.

14. Subscribed. Its always refreshing to see a fellow young guy on the board

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

15. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

This post got 5 likes including mine. I don't have any mechanical advice to offer & I sure don't know what a Patreon account is. But I do know what "donate to the cause" means. How do I donate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. RockinRivi

RockinRivi

This post got 5 likes including mine.

Sorry. I came to the party a bit late. I didn't get a chance to read about HAMB Andy prior to all this. A quick search pointed helped me figure it out. Solid work going on here by the HAMB.

I don't have any mechanical advise to offer, I don't have a lot of money & I don't know what a Patreon account is. But I do LOVE what I am reading here & I know what "donate to the cause" means. Where/how can I pitch in a little $$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chryslerfan55, Hombre and unclescooby like this.
  17. mcsfabrication

mcsfabrication
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Make sure you can get a starter working with the 265 and turbo 350. The 265 starter bolted to the bellhousing, the turbo needs a block mounted starter.

Hombre likes this.
  18. Sporty45

Sporty45

This is going to be fun to watch. I'm in for the ride! Good luck with it, Jake :cool:

19. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Good luck on your build. Do plenty of research and ask plenty of questions. As for parts needed put up a post in the wanted section I have always had great luck finding what I needed right here on the HAMB.

Not sure where you're located but if you can get to Hershey Swap meet in PA you could probably find everything you need.

20. Squablow

Squablow

Cool story.

If you want someting dumb and easy to do, take some vaseline and slime it all over that steering wheel center cap, leave it sit for a week or two and then wipe it off. It'll fill in some of that crazing and make the plastic clearer. Sometimes it works a little, sometimes it ends up looking like new. Works for any old crazed clear plastic, even red lenses. Old guy trick I learned when I was your age.

21. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

RockinRivi and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. seanbelushi

seanbelushi

A patreon account is one where we can all be financial contributors to your project.

https://www.patreon.com

As an aside, you could create a separate PayPal account where we could send money.

Either way, it’s an opportunity for us to help in some small way.

Sean

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

23. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

[​IMG]

I tried it and I can't wait to see how it turns out!

24. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's just an update on my car. Me and my dad went to go work on my car today with the plan to see if the engine was truly frozen up. I took the radiator off and when we were able to get a better look at the front, and we have discovered that it is frozen up.
    We had previously noticed that the head was loose and we took it off. We cleaned all of the dirt and mouse droppings off of the pistons, and we noticed that there are 2 broken pistons. I think that pretty much confirms my decision to change the engine.

25. Squablow

Squablow

Bummer about the engine but seems like you're digging right into the project and that's cool. At least that big flathead 6 cylinder head could make a cool wall hanger.

Jake_Lancer and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. Repower it, it needs something cool in there.

27. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

like a 331 hemi.

28. Jake_Lancer

Jake_Lancer

That would be great! If only it wasn't out of my price range.

chryslerfan55 and Sancho like this.