Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone still use Binks model 7 ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu D Baker, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

Just wondering if anybody still uses the old syphon feed spray guns. Personally, I've been using Sata gravity feed (HVLP) for several years. Back in the day, the Binks model 7 was in about every bodyshop. Stu

2. i've had mine for many years , maybe 25. it's still my favorite , but i'm not a professional painter

3. randydupree

randydupree
    from archer fl

i still use my 30 year old binks 7.
    i bought it new.

4. alchemy

alchemy

A couple years ago I bought a NICE Binks gun, used, at a flea market. Been saving it for that extra special paint job. They're traditional, right?

5. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I think the Binks #7 gun will lay down the clear better but that is just my opinion . My son does my paint now with a gravity gun and likes the binks to clear with . I personally dont like the gravity for the trigger feel but I do like it that it doesnt waste paint into the air . We might try a bigger nozzle for clear on a test panel to see if we can get the clear to lay flatter and shinier for that real deep look . Less wet sanding and buffing .

6. yblock292

yblock292

Been using mine since early 70's shoots mini-flake like a champ with a 36 tip

7. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

great gun for laquer, still have mine but stopped using it when i got a devillbilss JGA

8. i have 2 of them-they were my gradfathers

Last edited: Jan 8, 2009
  9. bikersteve

bikersteve

The Binks was(is) a great gun for laquer, the Graco 700 would lay down centari like nobody's business, These days it's all gravity feed hvlps, but still have the binks, graco and a couple of sharpes (just in case)

10. We still fill ours with grape jelly and spray our toast with it.

Dave Mc, belair, BJR and 1 other person like this.
  11. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

got one here at work..great for industrial type coatings..or thined slightly rustoleum..cant say much about it other than its been a very reliable spray gun

12. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

I have a used one and a brand new one in the box , must have these 15 years or longer.

13. Abone29

Abone29

I've still got 2 that I've had since the 70's.One is on a spray pot and the other has a cup.I've got a couple of gravity feeds too but I still love the old Binks.I've shot a lot of Deltron through it and it lays it on glass smooth.

14. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I use a Devilbis JGA conventional gun also, just cant get used to a gravity feed gun.

15. yblock292

yblock292

plus you can still get parts for them real resonable

16. I have been painting off and on for 30 years.
    I sprayed laquer - solid red - the first time I ever used a Binks 7.
    It was the side on a Laguna wagon in a Chevy Dealer Body Shop I worked at.
    Two full passes and the first coat was on - unbelievable! The right cap, tip and nozzle and those things really do a sweet job moving material!

The ? comes around how well they atomize - break up - the color. This is really important for color match on base coat and is one of the nice features about the gravity feed guns of today - they atomize the paint better. So Sata on your basecoat and blow that high solids clear with the old Binks 7 if ya want - sounds like a great idea to me!

Meanwhile, if you are spraying old technology single stage enamel nothing beats a Model 7 - except maybe a 1.7 tip Sata - You be the judge.

I used to worship a JGA 502 until I painted that Laguna wagon that day (just dated myself real bad right there - I know). :eek:

17. Have a Binks 7, 2002, and an old "Buffalo" gun(Binks7 copy) that I use for blowing primer through. The 7 and the 2002 I like a lot. Plannin on trying out a gravity feed this summer.

18. Nomadness

Nomadness

Got a brand in the box that I will use someday. I had been using a Sharpe but it finally died.

19. Black Primer

Black Primer

I still have my old fogger. I use it rarely, but it was a Cadillac in it's day.

20. 1959cac

1959cac

Back in the day, the paint was as good as the gun. Somewhere around '96 paint went south, and prices went up...and up, and up. Tell Joe Public that red pearl 2 stage b/c materials alone are over $400, and the pacifier always comes out. Since clear dries so fast now, with the 2 coats 2 mils crap, buffing is additional now in my shop. I didn't make the materials or Joe's expectations this way.

21. kenseth17

kenseth17

I was using my sharpe 775 conventional for clear till a few years ago. I only paint occasionally at home now, and haven't done the painting part for a bodyshop for years now, even though its the part I liked doing the most.
    I purchased the 775 fresh out of body school in 1991 from the snap on dealer when I got a job at a ford dealer. You took the job you were assigned to start to finish.
    I only really used a binks 7 in school, but I usually grabbed the devilbiss.
    Really a lot of conventional guns are a copy of the binks 7 design. Only conventional I use now is a devilbiss jga for shooting primer.
    I bought a iwata lph400 hvlp for clear last year, based on all the positive comments the gun got, but only got a chance to use it for one complete so far. But all I can say so far is wow, no overspray cloud lingering that you are trying to see through, just shoot a nice even coat with proper overlap, and no dry spots to go back and hit or having to dump on the clear to get it to flow together, or dieback the next day. I really hated the few hvlps I got to shoot with in the early to mid 90's, cept for the accuspray for shooting base. Gravity guns were a little awkward at first too, shooting mostly siphon feeds.
    For base I've been using an accuspray model 10 hvlp since about 1995. As well as its handled metallics for me, I don't really need to look for anything else. Shoots a huge pattern too. Few times I tried, I couldn't get it to shoot clear for sheet.

22. customcory

customcory

My first gun was a No.7, I've had about three of them over the years. I think they would make a good gear shift knobbie!:rolleyes:

23. Patrick Harmon

Patrick Harmon

I know this is an old thread but for all those who may need it this company stocks all the parts for older Binks guns (model 7 included).

24. Kan Kustom

Kan Kustom

I still paint with a siphon gun and a pressure pot.. I have a Bunks 7 but started using a Sharpe years ago and they are my favorite.

25. the SCROUNGER

the SCROUNGER
    from USA

this is an old thread but excellent topic.

I have (3) Binks #7's, one is a made by the compressor co. Sanborn under license from Binks. They are simply awesome spray guns. If you have a complete car, large truck, trailer, etc., or other large area to spray, there's still nothing better. A #7 will blow away any HVLP in production time and speed. In heavy industry, when they paint ships, airliners, heavy equipment, large buildings- they aren't using HVLP. It would mean huge losses due to extra time needed, HVLP throws less paint. They are using huge 55 gallon pressure pots, with big Binks spray guns, and bailing it on, all day long. It may feed 3 or 6 spray guns at a time. Binks gave the auto refinish business to DeVilbiss, but Binks is still #1 in heavy industry.

I worked at a body shop for 3 years, doing lacquer spot repairs. all 3 of the old timer pro painters, had their own Binks #7. these were the guys who painted complete cars, using synthetic or acrylic enamel. they also used them for lacquer spot repairs. the #7 is all about production speed, it really throws the paint, and a huge pattern. typically you'd buy a #7 with a 36SS/36SD fluid/air nozzle setup- that has a 10" pattern. then buy the 36SK spare aircap (not cheap back then, $75) and it would throw a 13" pattern. there's nothing like painting with that much power, the only thing better is the same Binks head on a pressure pot- which I also tried once.
    IMHO the excess overspray issue, was because most guys had the air pressure jacked up too high, based on the recommendations on the paint can. if you turn down the air pressure and fluid mix on any conventional siphon gun, there's not much overspray at all- and production speed goes down just like it does with HVLP, cuz it's simply throwing less paint. try it sometime. today's HVLP trend was mandated by state and federal law- that's the only reason it exists. it was resisted at first by the refinishing industry- so high fines were put in place, if you even had a conventional spray gun hanging on a nail in your body shop, in some areas. the auto paint industry got in on the game. they upped the price of paint to astronomical levels, so you HAD TO conserve paint to save money, or make money. this forced everyone to use HVLP.
    you can lean out a Binks #7 to throw less paint and less overspray- with a .040" tip/needle/cap setup. that's all they are doing with HVLP anyway, the tip sizes to get fine atomization, are typically smaller, compared to traditional siphon guns. the standard #7 had a .070" fluid tip- and they also made a big .086" tip as well, for spraying heavy viscous coatings. sure, they use more paint- and you're going to be done painting a lot sooner- cuz they are much faster. that's the whole point. when GM paints cars on the assembly lines, they use banks of spray guns bailing the paint on the car- or they dip the chassis/frame in a vat of paint- they don't use no lame HVLP guns. time is money, time costs them more than paint costs.
    no matter how great these new HVLP guns are supposed to be, I still see orange peel, runs, etc. in paint jobs regardless- the old adage applies- behind every good painter, is an even better wetsander/buffer/polisher. clear sprayed from a gun eventually peels. it's inevitable, and usually worse in areas with a lot of sun, like Arizona, New Mexico.
    there's no doubt in my mind, you can spray any paint finish made today out of a Binks #7, and have excellent results. the material has to be thinned to the consistency the gun likes, to lay down the finish without orange peel, and let it flow out- and you need to use the right cap/needle/nozzle. how many #7 owners, have a full set up nozzles, air caps, needles for the gun, from .040" to .086" ?? none. but many HVLP owners have all the tips/caps, because those extras may be included with the gun in a kit.
    I did an experiment about 20 years ago- sprayed single stage white lacquer, using extra-slow speed thinner, with a retarder added to it, to slow it down even more. it flowed out like synthetic enamel, the buffing was very easy to do. I think most of the times painters say an old siphon gun won't spray the new 2K paints, is because the tip and cap size is wrong on the old gun, for what they are spraying- it's too big- and the thinners they are using are too fast, and they are using too high air pressure.
    The new HVLP guns are just set up leaner for new paints from the get go- the air pressure is already limited/turned down- the cap/nozzles are leaned out already. You can easily find and put those same nozzles/cap on an old siphon gun, and spray those new paints, with reduced air pressure. it's just that nobody bothers- it's easier to just buy a new fangled HVLP setup. the new guns get around the low pressure issue, by using a gravity cup on top of the gun. gravity feeds the paint, rather than using air suction to pull it up from a siphon cup. early HVLP guns had a pressurized cup, and were dual purpose- they were siphon or pressure- and have been around since the 1940-50's. Devilbiss made them, but they weren't popular, because the production time was slow, and spray pattern was smaller. If it wasn't for gov't mandate, HVLP would be a dead product.
    truth be told, a turbine system with a bleeder spray handle, and pressure pot- is true HVLP, and blows away a gravity feed HVLP gun. having that extra weight on top of the gun with a gravity cup, just seems stupid to me- it throws all the balance off, and makes spraying more difficult- the gun becomes top heavy.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
    Ralphies54 and BJR like this.
  26. BJR

BJR

Well said.

27. Does anyone know the differences between a Model 7 and a Model 18? I have one Model 18 that I have had for years and used to paint many cars. I picked up another Model 18 at a swap meet. It does not appear to have had the care that my old one received, but it still functions.

28. BJR

BJR

Eleven.

belair likes this.
  29. toad611

toad611
    from Tennessee

The 7 was Binks production enamel gun, the 18 production lacquer. The 18 used the same nozzles as the 62 and 69' whereas the 7 had its own series of nozzles.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

30. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

BJR....You made me laugh out loud!