Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Can I put clear over Oil Based Enamel?...and I may have screwed up.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Budget36, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Budget36

Budget36

So a couple of weeks ago, my daughter and myself, finished sanding down her car, masked it off and went to Tractor Supply for a gallon of matte black...it's a "Majic" brand, so I really only noticed the "enamel" on the can-note to self, take glasses with you to read fine print" and after spraying it,my kid asked me what "oil based enamel is"...hmmn...dunno, only ever bought enamel and lacquer back in the day.

So reading the can-here's the screwed up on my part-seems I was supposed to use a hardener with it...I didn't, just the reducer.
    It's been a few weeks, and she wants to wet sand it down to even things out, and have me clear it...now...it's possible this paint might have decent UV protection...I don't really know...some internet searching has me to think this paint my not fully cure for a few years because I didn't use a hardener with it.

So, bottom line, can I clear it...and if so, suggestions for a clear to use.

Thanks

2. BJR

BJR

I think you are screwed. But what do I know.

3. I think it's alkyd enamel. Doesn't REQUIRE hardner, but hardner will make it, well, harder. I've used all kinds of paints that recommend hardner without using it and never had a problem.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Locate tech support for the product and ask them.

Jugornot and Budget36 like this.

5. reverb2000

reverb2000
    from Houston TX

Don't clear it. The clear will harden and the oil will not be able to evaporate the vapors

Sent from my HTC One M9 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. KoolKat-57

KoolKat-57
    from Dublin, OH

They're local in Columbus Ohio.
    Here's their contact info........Majic Paints
    1920 Leonard Avenue
    Columbus, Ohio 43219
    Local: (614) 253-8511 Toll Free: (800) 848-1898
    Fax: (614) 258-3062
    Email: [email protected]
    Give them a call, we are east coast time!
    KK

john worden and Budget36 like this.
  7. Budget36

Budget36

Slap head....I shoulda had a V8...

Okay, thanks...and back to your regularly scheduled programming.

8. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

You might try a test panel to find out what could happen.

9. Budget36

Budget36

I'm more concerned about long term...i/e, I've have to mix the paint again, spray it, wait a few weeks, clear it...then wait a year to see if it starts going to hell...

Or are you saying spray a test panel, wait a few weeks, clear it and a problem should show up then?

It should be obvious I don't do this fora living;)

10. Slopok

Slopok

If you do end up using clear it will no longer be matte black unless you use flat or matte clear. Just wet a section with water and that's how it would turn out.

11. Budget36

Budget36

Yes, I had planned to use a flat clear, thanks

12. Are you planning on using a urethane clear? You are taking a real chance if you are of the strong solvents in urethane paints eating into the enamel and causing a serious mess especially when a hardener wasn't used. If you go for it and it has dried enough to not react with the clear then you will definitely have to sand the whole car down to have any chance of adhesion of the clearcoat now that it has been a few weeks. If it hasn't dried enough it will all wrinkle.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  13. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

The enamel will take quite a while to completely dry, so I would agree that you shouldn't clear it or put anything over it that might be harder. If you seal in with a topcoat the enamel will probably cause checking or cracking of the outer finish ; which would be the solvents from the enamel trying to escape.

14. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

So how does it look sanded? That can look cool.

15. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

According to the guy who owns Southern Polyurethanes, you can spray clear urethane over alkyd enamel but you have to use hardener in the enamel if you plan to clear it. Also, you let the car sit overnight between the enamel and the clear.

Seems like the simplest thing to do is sand the car, shoot another coat of your black using hardener, and then shoot the urethane clear the next day.

16. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I don't think so. Catalyzed doesn't like UN-catalyzed.
    Especially fresh

17. fordcragar

fordcragar
    from Yakima WA.

I don't think that the owner of Southern Polyurethanes understood that the enamel didn't have hardener added to the paint before it was sprayed.

18. ceege

ceege
    from NW MT

I agree

19. southcross2631

southcross2631

I used to use a lot of that paint on my dirt track cars. Orange and blue. It does not need hardener ,but will not have much UV protection and will fade in the sun in about 4 months without hardener. At least it did in the hot south Ga. sun.
    I never tried to clear it , but I would wait about a month and scuff it and re shoot it with more paint with hardener. Sort of using your original paint job as a base.
    When I was racing dirt cars I was more concerned with keeping the fenders on the car than the paint.
    It looked good at 100 mph from the grandstands.

Jugornot likes this.
  20. Mark Roby

Mark Roby

While you may have your answer already, I would not clear over that. I think reverb2000 has it right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk