Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Saginaw side steer box

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Groovybaby6, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

Has anyone used one of these Borgeson Saginaw side steer boxes in a '32 frame? Does it fit? Do you have to build your own mounting bracket? How does it feel? Any info would be helpful.

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  2. Good question. Wonder how it would work on a 34 frame? Collecting parts for our 34 coupe project. We have an original frame but haven't decided on a steering box yet

3. I would be interested in knowing myself. Have not yet decided on a steering box for my A.

4. It sure ain't easy on the wallet! :rolleyes: HRP

Times have changed,I bought my first 32 coupe for 75 bucks and now a steering box is 365 bucks...HRP

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017

5. Bill Nabors

Bill Nabors

I have used the box from a 55-57 Chevy truck on a 32 frame under my 27 roadster. It was tight fit, but could be trimmed. It was great. Same splines as ford with some filing. Used late 30s arm.

6. This answer has nothing to do with the question.

Coggs_n'_gears, dirt t and Dean Lowe like this.
  7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well 395 sounds a bit high until you see the prices for a rebuildable F1 or F100 box plus the price of the rebuild kit. I did see some prices for about 50 bucks less from some vendors.

8. Got no info on using the Saginaw/Borgeson side steer in a '32...but , just FYI.. I needed a Saginaw 525 .. Borgeson website was $320 + shipping... Went to www.buyautoparts.com and they were $288 .free shipping ..Actually came drop shipped from Borgeson .. Factory packed ,brand new..
    Same story on a Saginaw 140 I bought from them for my roadster..
    Just sayin'
    Stan

dirt t likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There ya go, never bite on the first price. Take the part number and start shopping.

10. That's they way these threads go Tony. I got a great price on the VW box in my............................

dana barlow likes this.
  11. christmas tree

christmas tree

If running fenders will the upward arm hit the fenders?

12. nobby

nobby

fyi
    525 steering box internals.....
    16-1 ratio, when using a 6'' pitmann arm one input rotation will give you 2.5 inches of travel
    6'' pitmann arm from a 71-80 camro 525 spline
    525 spline is 1 1/16''
    vega 1''
    big gm power is 1 1/8''
    small 180 gm power box is 1 1/16'' - same as 525, the Camaro pitmann from these is 7'' long

6'' Camaro pitmann from ebay are 1/2 inch drop - away from box
    forged in korea
    the taper for the ball joint tie rod end is the same as early for tapers.

just a note..... on 'why' you 'should' buy a NEW steering box
    the sector shaft has 5 teeth, the central tooth has a wider PITCH so grabs the reciprocating ball 'NUT'
    at straight ahead - to 'hold' you straoight ahead

when using a used box, you may find that the central tooth has worn some and you cannot 'feel' the hold for dead ahead

as an aside too, these aftermarket boxes may have a lower roller bearing rather than a bronze bush

also, you 'could' spec this box for right hand drive, BECAUSE they are AVAILABLE with
    right and left handed input worms, you can simply come in with the input worm from the big nut side....................

apologies for the long windedness - buy I have just gone through a steering box palaver
    yes, you could probably go lhd with a 60's f100 box or a dodge d100, BUT
    the output sector shaft on both have smooth unsplined outputs with a cotter pin style pitmann,

normally the mountings are threaded 7/16 unc - these look in tapped-

ooh - recirculating ball - 54 in total, 27 per race - it is two helical rows in the ball nut

a corvette 525 steering box has an aluminium top cap

the adjustment pin and shim washer is specific to the slot in the sector shaft
    the shim is ground so that there isn't any play- its a bit difficult to understand in thet, IF there it is not a interference fit, the sector will ride up on the ball nut .

worm and peg............., I think its torque multiplication or something like that,
    why you would rather go recirculating ball

Last edited: Sep 29, 2017
  13. Back up, looking for a friend. Any new input?

14. '64-'69 Dodge A-100 van has a side steer version of the Saginaw box used in mid size Gm cars in the '60s and '70s.