Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods *Mr.Model T's New Project: A T-V8..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by MrModelT, Sep 19, 2017.

1. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

No real progress on the Chevy. I'm getting a lot done just not on the Roadster or any of the cars.
    Isky's roadster is one best ever built for several reasons. He used an Essex frame as did a lot of race car builders. They were strong, straight and pretty narrow.

Stogy, MrModelT and The37Kid like this.
  2. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is a good point. I don't know what's got....as I have not split it from the impeller shaft housing yet.

That comes next.

Sent from my SM-G900T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy likes this.
  3. MrModelT

MrModelT

An Essex frame would have been cool.....but I'm building with what I have and it's not a clone.

Now...had I come across one, I would not have kicked it out of the garage...

Stogy likes this.
  4. MrModelT

MrModelT

Thank you professor...

Stogy likes this.
  5. 58custom223

58custom223

I'm subscribing. Going down this road myself. Time to learn.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

rod1 and MrModelT like this.
  6. atch

atch

Inspiration doesn't get much better

[​IMG]

7. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

When a "friend" who works for the V&T railroad passed a 1919 Essex engine and trans on to me I started to learn about and gather Essex stuff. It is strange that although Essex outsold both Ford and Chevrolet sometimes there isn't much Essex stuff left out there, especially the 4 cylinders. It's all just so much fun to mess with. Isky would have used your frame if you'd have been there to help him build it and if he had not found an Essex.

Stogy and MrModelT like this.
  8. Nice score on those heads!!!

MrModelT likes this.
  9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it :)

MrModelT likes this.
  10. Yep, yep !

:)

MrModelT likes this.
  11. Never2low

Never2low

Oh yeah!

MrModelT likes this.
  12. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Looking forward to watching this one come together!

MrModelT likes this.
  13. Boon BA

Boon BA

suscribed

MrModelT likes this.
  14. what no Model A yet LOL ! thanks for sharing man... this will be a fun build to watch... keep the updates coming ! @MrModelT

MrModelT likes this.
  15. louisb

louisb

Veddy Cool!

--louis

MrModelT likes this.
  16. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Cool project, Clayton - I'm looking forward to following along!

MrModelT likes this.
  17. MrModelT

MrModelT

Brief Update!

Scored an important piece tonight from a friend...

...a real deal '32 Heavy Axle.

Also scored a really nice set of '46 Juice brakes..

More to come!

20170917_231900.jpg 20170917_231917.jpg

20171005_182012.jpg 20171005_182017.jpg

18. Clayton - Very cool build ... I'll be following this one!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

MrModelT likes this.
  19. Bob, that Pick-up box looks the same as mine, it has the same mounting flange that is contoured to sit on the 26-27 sub frame. JW
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    Stogy, Okie Pete and MrModelT like this.
  20. MrModelT

MrModelT

Hello Fellow HAMBsters!

I know it’s been awhile, but figured I would get on a do a little update on the TV8 project. Things have been a bit crazy since my second appearance on Jay Leno’s Garage (Yup, a second time!).
    DSC_0253.JPG

My work load has increased and I’m booked out 5 years at least.

Anyway, on to the good stuff. I have been slowly collecting more and more parts for the last few months and made some big scores lot long ago.

The first is an intake. The Schnell 4x2 (which will go on this car at some point) was posing a few too many issues out of the gate, so I wanted to simply while I get it running, drive and tune it. I wanted something pre-war to fit the vibe and the period in which I’m building…but we all know how much real-deal prewar intakes can go for…and I was giving up hope. I’m not much a slingshot fan (never liked the proportions on a flathead), so a friend of mine who has since passed on made me an offer on one of these:

20180917_204501.jpg

It’s an early, Pre-War design Hexagon Tool intake. He had a post war version, but I opted for the early version. It’s topped off here with two of my Grandfather’s 97s lovingly rebuilt by Uncle Max.

The Second purchase was a HUGE one.

I really wanted a set of heads for this, but had a hard time throwing down the cash for set of new Eddie Meyer heads, or Re-pop ’34 heads. I had a set of Iron 40-6049/6050 heads….but I wanted more.

A month ago, I get a call from the family of my old hot rod buddy that sold me the Hexagon intake. I knew about these, but they were out of my price range when he was alive, but the family thought they should go to someone that would use them.

A deal was struck and I was now the owner of two sets of heads I have lusted after for years……the Rarest of the Rare:

IMG_1496.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

IMG_1497.JPG

These heads also mean I changed engines. I was able to score a nice '36 LB 21-stud to make this project that much more period correct for a Pre-War car. Also.....I'm a glutton for punishment.

I have my work cut out for me on the aluminum tops, but I am currently working with Zach Suhr (Who got the other set) to make new patterns and machine new tops.

That is all for now, but there will be more soon. As the build starts, I will be far more diligent on posting new updates on a regular basis as I did with the Roadster build.

Stay Tuned!

~Mr. Model T

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Clayton, post more often now that you have planted these seeds or we're going to go crazy wondering what's next. Loving what you are doing. Something to be said for "living in the past".

Stogy, Spooky and MrModelT like this.
  22. Never2low

Never2low

23. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Post more! Your builds are inspiring. I need all I can get so some young guy doesn't wind up building cars with my parts. :eek:

Stogy, brad2v, MrModelT and 1 other person like this.
  24. So good to get the update- been missing you, bud!

25. MrModelT

MrModelT

I need to. Tell you guys what, I'll do my best to post something new....anything at least once a week on the weekends again like I used to. That way, I can get back in the habit.

Same here old friend! It's been too long, but I'll come back more regularly.

slv63, Stogy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  26. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

You have infected my brain Clayton. I'm seriously thinking that I need to get a somewhat stock Model T for a daily driver.

27. MrModelT

MrModelT

For my update this week, I don't have much.

I spoke to a pattern maker friend of mine to begin the journey of making patterns for the Federal-Mogul head covers. This will be a long one, so I will have updates on this as they come.

20181209_204104.jpg

I also noticed that my heads have been extensively reworked. As you can see here is a side-by-side with the other set of stock F-M heads. The valve pockets have been machined a bit larger, the casting nubs removed and then they reshaped the chamber itself. They also shaved them about 0.130”!

Edit1.jpg

For my update this week:

I did get one project out of the way. My original, early Hexagon intake had a few stud holes pulled out, so I spent an hour drilling, taping and installing helicoils to repair them. Now its all ready to go with fresh hardware.

20181209_202044.jpg

20181209_202057.jpg

I also picked up a set of Justin Bass’s 17” Rolls-Royce style “Brewster Wheel covers for my wire wheels. To go with them, I have a set of stainless trim pieces from a set of 1935 Packard V12 wheel covers that may find their way onto these covers too.

20181209_202957.jpg

20181209_203014.jpg

20181209_203047.jpg

…and a gratuitous “proof of concept” photo shop of what we are aiming for. The engine is not correct, but you get the idea. :)

Edit 1.JPG

More next week, so stay tuned!

~ Mr. Model T

Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  28. noboD

noboD

Clayton good to see you posting again. Are these heads bronze like they appear to be or cast iron with rust or bronze paint or?

29. MrModelT

MrModelT

Those are cast bronze Federal-Mogul "Thermo-Flow" Power Heads. These heads are EXCEPTIONALLY rare.

As far as we know, there are only five surviving sets...including my own. The Federal-Mogul Thermo-Flow Power Heads were designed in 1935 and patented Dec 5th, 1935. The original design was a two-piece style with a Bronze head with open water jackets, and an aluminum top cover to seal them. There were intended for marine use and designed to act as a heat sink to help with both cooling and combustion.

The only issue was the dissimilar metals issue....which just dissolved and warped the aluminum.

Sometime between October and November of 1936, the top cover patterns were updated and casting material was changed to Cast Iron. This style continued through the end of 1936. For 1937, the Design was changed completely to the "Waterless" Thermo-Flow head used on the McGee Roadster. This style was produced from 1937 to 1939 in both 21 and 24-stud versions.

Stogy, Hutkikz, Tim_with_a_T and 4 others like this.
  30. noboD

noboD

Weren't the Grancor heads made in a similar fashion?

Stogy likes this.