Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Not A Date Wagon

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Ryan, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Ryan submitted a new blog post:

Not A Date Wagon

[​IMG]

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

Stogy, Tim, Hotdoggin DaddyO and 2 others like this.
  2. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

"But Dad, you can't haul stuff in a chopped Merc,,,,,,,,"

3. Chaz

Chaz
    Member Emeritus

Nice truck, but the chop is too severe... It makes the proportions awkward.
    One man's opinion.

metlmunchr, hidez57, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  4. It like the truck but I prefer them uncut.

Still lots of them here in the Upstate of South Carolina,I always likes them and vividly remember my mom recruiting a elderly neighbors assistance in taking our cub scout troop to my uncles farm to cut Christmas Trees to sell at the local curb market.

Roy loaded the 3 boys in the back of the 50 Chevy pickup and my mom ridding shot gun we left in light snow flurries and by the time the trees were cut the snow had started accumulating we were nestling down in the ceder trees trying to stay warm,we were treated to hot cocoa and this memory has stuck with me ever since,the sights & smells and that cool old pickup which in reality wasn't that old at the time,but it was the same age as me.

I have owned a couple of the trucks over the years and they are great all around trucks for work or play. HRP

5. blackanblue

blackanblue

My 52 gmc IS a date wagon also a hauler.

6. belair

belair

Hard to get a good chop on those. I miss mine.

7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2017-9-20_7-55-50.png 2017
    Hello,
    Is this the same truck I photographed at the Lions Museum Grand Opening in June of 2017? It sure looks like the same one...If it is, it is very well preserved or reconditioned.

Jnaki
    a little history since 1954, perhaps?
    upload_2017-9-20_7-59-14.png It belongs to Jack Rudy according to Sancho on the HAMB.
    SANCHO, JUL 24, 2017 !REPORT!
    SHARE POST#5918 UNLIKE + QUOTE REPLY

Stogy, olcurmdgeon and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  8. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

I agree, 1947-first series 1955 GM trucks look awkward when chopped. When I was a kid in the 50's every other pickup was one of these in Texas hill country.

HunterYJ likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I like it myself but my truck is chopped 4 inches with the A pillars leaned back rather than stretch the cab.
    Chopping one doesn't cut down on the room it just makes people who like everyone to know they are tall or think they are tall complain because they have to duck their head a bit getting in. Mine has a car seat in it that sits about 4 inches lower than the stock seat did to make up for it.
    Funny but at the 1982 Chevy GMC truckin nationals in Ogden was one of the only times someone fussed at me for chopping it when some young spectator came up to me and asked "why did you chop it, they are rare" That was with the R&C Dream truck sitting 50 ft away and 50+ stock height trucks including some of the nicest restored ones in the country sitting on the grass around it.
    As it was then. [​IMG]

wicarnut, Petejoe, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  10. desotot

desotot

They are supposed to look chopped, Frankenstien gets the amc pacer, right?

11. I believe it is a different truck. The truck featured is also a chopped 5-window, but the the small quarter windows are flat pieces of glass that have been frenched in rather than the curved glass like how Jack Rudy's truck is and how they were stock. I would assume they did this because that curve glass is near impossible to cut effectively and most guys use plexiglass. I can't say that I've seen anybody else use flat glass there. Typically I'm more a fan of the 3-window trucks but this one is pretty cool!
    03-1.jpg

Stogy, Sancho and jnaki like this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

SAM_4886.JPG yes, there are a lot of them on the road or waiting for someone to bring them back to life - yes, they have fantastic good looks - Ford keep looking for the right style, while Chevrolet found it early on and stayed with it - one of those styles that do not need a lot of modifications to be Cool - but, some that have had radical modifications have been at the top of the custom world

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  13. Metal Mover

Metal Mover
    from Jamul CA

Nothing sweeter than a chopped, lowered (level), long bed straight six winding out with a straight pipe.

14. 48stude

48stude

I bought my truck out of a junkyard in 1987 (30 years ago:eek:) There weren't many being hotrodded at that time. I knew I wanted to chop it and I did around 1988-90. There weren't any how to chop books or how to's with the exception of Spence Murray's Dream truck how to in R & C which I studied and developed a plan to chop mine. I've not grown tired of my truck, it still makes feel good when I look at it. I like these trucks and it's easy for me to strike up a conversation with anybody that has one. I like em all. Bill chop.jpg wmsrru%202012%20054.JPG

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    rustisgold, Mtn Goat, Gotgas and 12 others like this.
  15. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Even when hot rodded or customized, I can't help seeing a truck, as a "truck". Made for haulin' stuff and nothing else. It always takes me a while to look past the hauler stereotype.

16. 51farmtruck

51farmtruck

I'm a fan of them chopped and not. I prefer chopped though. My favorite truck growing up was lance sorchiks chopped pickup. That is the reason I chopped my truck.

[​IMG]

wicarnut, badgascoupe, Tim and 4 others like this.
  17. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

CL read! Here's a pic of my 51. Not chopped, not custom, but still CL enough for the BLVD!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J700T1 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

18. Siva 64

Siva 64

TOVAR54.jpg TOVAR54_4.JPG TOVAR54_3.JPG
    I have always loved the AD trucks, I think it's one of the few Chevys that translates well into a Custom, Lowrider (Bomb) or even a Hot Rod. Mine was built by Eddie Tovar about 9 years ago (Classic Truck photo by Rob Fortier) and I was lucky enough to become it's "caretaker" earlier this year. The look of the truck is stock but low :) and was done as a tribute to Eddie's grandfather, who owned an identical '54 when Eddie was growing up, down to the stock "Coppertone" color and unique step bumper on the back. I've only changed wheels and tires (6.70 Firestones on artilleries) and some minor details to go with the "work truck" theme. Eddie was really happy with the result, says it looks almost exactly as his Grandpa had his with this black wheel/tire combo.

19. alchemy

alchemy

I like these trucks because of memories of Old Green. When I was a wee lad Dad had a partial ownership of a junk hauling truck, probably about a 50 Chevy. Used to haul stuff to the dump or pick up lumber at the lumberyard. We kids would sit in it in the driveway and pretend we were driving. I remember being amazed that a church key would start the thing. It was originally dark blue, but one of the co-owners' wives must have complained about the shabby looks, as one time it showed up with a fresh coat of brush-applied forest green paint.

I've got no idea what ever happened to that truck. Do you suppose it could be the one that Sorchik built?!

20. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I too always loved these years. They're big and heavy, the proportions, although I've seen a few done well, don't lend itself to becoming or looking like a Hotrod.
    Chopped ones are last in my list.

Mine done in the early nineties.

[​IMG]

wicarnut likes this.
  21. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

Frank's dad was full of it. I drove one of these all through high school (1980s), and had zero issues landing the ladies.

It had a Saginaw 4 speed with a Vega shifter bolted to the floor, and 4th gear landed the shifter in a very inappropriate spot if your date was sitting beside you. Never received one complaint. When I look back at it now as a dad, I would not have let my daughter within 100 feet of me.:eek::oops:

22. I like 'em because the truck styling retained a lot of the 40's influence and didn't keep pace with the more modern styling of the car side. The pilothouse/cockpit profile and the voluptuous, sexy fenders are a turn on for me. They sold a whole lot of 'em so I guess people weren't ashamed to be seen in one.

I have a '52, "Advanced Design", panel truck so maybe I'm partial. ;)

23. We didn't get many RHD Chev pick-ups here, mostly 1 ton -up trucks, so they are sought after. The few that are around are mainly imported. I like em, chopped, unchopped, neat & clean or rusty and dirty. They have all that you need- fun up front, work in the back.
    As soon as I have more room....

24. Two things Ryan. One, a dead cat is called a sail cat, and two, I know what an old fart is, and it ain't you!

wicarnut likes this.
  25. Schwanke Engines

Schwanke Engines

I love these trucks, we are finishing up our 7th this year and have done 12 running rolling chassis for them as well. I think they look best unchopped, and with some nice subtle steel wheels. Just a few Pics of some we have done.

The 53 Green Machine is Code named 'Frankenstein" this bad boy had a sweet late 60's brush paint job on it that I just couldn't get rid of, its in Texas now.
    The Blue one is Code Named "Blue Angel" was an old Air Force Truck from Spokane washington, this one is our keeper.
    The Black 51 "Low Life Special" is a special Deluxe version that sits in the dirt with air, now calls Idaho home.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Stogy like this.
  26. My buddy Bob McCreary's truck. Paint and striping by Bob Lathery.

[​IMG]

Atwater Mike and Stogy like this.
  27. My dad had one of these trucks when I was a kid. Every time I see a stock interior in one it takes me back. This one belongs to another friend of mine, Rich Wright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71, flyin-t and Stogy like this.
  28. metalman

metalman

I've always thought trucks should be trucks, never wanted nor owned one I couldn't use to haul stuff. When I see one with the bed floor raised up to useless to clear heavy Z'd frames ect, I just think not for me.
    My Dad had a 50, originally was a kinda purple color (I've seen photos but don't really remember) but was repainted in Minneapolis-Moline "Prairie Gold" since my Dad was a M-M dealer. Learned to drive in that truck. Fond memories of that truck but kinda funny, these trucks are one that's never been on my want list.

29. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Some folks (including 2 women!) have admired my '55 F100, these few saying, "Nice truck! ...Too bad it isn't a Chevy..."
    I have some friends with A.D. Chevys. I wouldn't trade if they...never mind, just wouldn't.
    I do like the 5 windows...

30. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I've never owned an AD truck, but I think they top the list of vintage pickups for me. Fortunately they're cheap and plentiful. Might have to get one someday. Always thought a '46 Chevy (car) grille would look nice in one. Probably a subtle 2" chop too.