Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1940's period correct hot rods

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by erlomd, Nov 28, 2009.

1. kidcampbell71, Stogy, tinsled and 7 others like this.
  2. Nobey

Nobey

Thanks for the info....

3. Nobey

Nobey

That little Cabby Rocks Dale, are you still running 6 volts?

4. draggin49

draggin49

Wow... what an amazing thread . So many beautiful cars. I had some questions about some of the roadsters pictured. Some of them had almost a perfectly level stance . Anyone want to take a stab at maybe what size tires /wheels they might have been using to achieve this?

Attached Files:

5. Squablow

Squablow

Those cars in the pictures all appear to be running 16" tires, which were pretty much the standard after WWII. I would guess any remaining stock of the old sizes got mostly used up during the war, and you've gotta have good tires to race on.

My roadster has 6.00 and 6.50-16" tires on it. From the historical pictures I've seen, the 4.50 front and 8.50 rear trend is a modern thing, going for maximum rake. The selection of rearend gears and final transmission ratio back then would be a factor in the rear tire size also.

6. draggin49

draggin49

Thanks squablow for clarifying. Visually I figured that some of them had to be running close to the same size front and back. Or maybe a tad wider in back but similar overall tire height to still have that almost level stance . Love that stance/look

Runnin shine likes this.
  7. theamcguy

theamcguy

Some really nice photos here, Thank you to all for sharing.

8. [​IMG]
    Can anyone tell me more on this?
    Is there a feature thread on HAMB of it? I have searched, but haven't found anything.

9. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

Can anyone tell me why I only get to see about half of the pictures on this thread?
    Do you have to use the app to see all the pictures?

verde742 likes this.
  10. It seems all of the old Photobucket users accounts expired and need to be updated. My build thread started off with photobucket, but now I can't sign in to it. My old pictures don't show up now either.

11. louisb

louisb

Yep, about half the picture threads on the HAMB are the same way now.

--louis

verde742 likes this.
  12. D.Lee

D.Lee
    from Czexas

This is a damn shame, were missing good stuff.

verde742 likes this.
  13. verde742

verde742

Amen,, :eek: lot and lots of good stuff,, old, and how I hate change...:rolleyes:

I just never realized how old I am, till I got a laptop and an Iphone..

AND grandkids......

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  14. Photobucket should be only for people that want to see Hollywood Stars! :mad:
    Tech Crap!

flatheadtommy, Dannerr and Nobey like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Google did the same thing to Picasa a year or so ago. Free hosting wasn't profitable so in spite of their promises the pics are gone. If you pay them a monthly fee.......... Lucky for us we can load pics here directly. I'm slowly reloading my old pics on threads when I can.

Stogy and Dannerr like this.
  16. verde742

verde742

Thank you

ne'erdowell and Dannerr like this.
  17. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

My Picassa acount and pictures are still there but the links are gone and I can not download them to websites anymore. I could move them to a new google service but they charge for that and I have more pics there than I can afford. I'm having to download them back to my laptop and then repost here. I lost all of my photos a while back so what is on Picasa and a few discs and cards are all I have left. It's takes a lot of time.

18. Squablow

Squablow

I stopped at my buddy's place today for his birthday and he's got copies of these two pictures on his fridge. He said the guy in the pics is his flight instructor who is now in his 80's.

The pics are amazing, and the flight instructor is still around, so I'd really like to meet him and talk to him, and see if he's got any more pictures, but the pictures are almost too good, like I have to wonder if it's really him or just some cool pictures he found and is telling a tall tale.

Anyone recognize these pics, or is this the first time they've been on the internet? The car looks to be a 30 or 31 A roadster with a '33 grille and hood. The super low headlight placement surprises me, I really like the high stance, the hubcapless solid wheels and lettered tires, and what appears to be a peep mirror bolted vertically onto the dash with no windshield! I would assume 4 cylinder power judging by that exhaust.

What say you, internet experts? Ever seen this car before?

20170929_164052.jpg
    20170929_164101.jpg

19. Squablow

Squablow

PS. I thought it would be a good idea to look for a picture of this car with a Google search based on the "sex machine" lettering on the car. That was not a good idea. Don't do that.

20. Squablow

Squablow

Just noticed the V8 through the gap in the hood. Keeps getting better.

Runnin shine and lothiandon1940 like this.
  21. The 'A' with a model 40 hood/grille is a match made in heaven! I love that car!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. Never seen that car before, really cool rod. Chase up the story if you can, I would love to hear about it as I am sure others would. That '33 grille suits the '30-'31 roadster nice.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

23. birdog

birdog
    from Monroe, UT

Ok thats amazing!!!! More info!!!

24. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Find the old guy and get the story. It won't be there forever.

25. damn. nice photos!!

Sent from my SM-J700T using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

C1EA511A-FE89-4633-BCB0-DACD4343106F.png 6D9DC43B-3C72-4912-BCA8-7ED1D205928E.png F596E95C-A312-4A51-9140-CCDAF410D526.jpeg D4CE205F-71AA-4573-B470-94C4CE7A2CAA.png
    May 25 1947 1st 2 pix.
    May 2017 70 yrs later w/mods.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    woodz, Squablow, ROCKER77 and 10 others like this.
  27. So, since noone responded, I went and bought the Hot Rod magazine, where it was featured. [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Information is scarse, but I will be looking to this for inspiration.

28. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Thanks for posting that. Tons of good information.

Dannerr likes this.
  29. bct

bct

Thanks for going above and beyond

Dannerr likes this.
  30. I had the same problem with my Picassa and Google albums and was able figure out a workaround. It took me awhile to figure this out but it works.

Your Picassa is now in your Google Photos. Go to your Google Photos and when you see "Albums" in the left sidebar of all your photos, left click on that. You will then see your albums (if you have any) and in the upper left you will see a "+" in a box with the words "New Album" below it. Left click on that and then select the pictures you want to put in the new album by left clicking on the check box above each picture. Then left click on the "Create" album box and title the album. Once the album is created, left click on the "check mark" in the upper left hand corner of the blue header at the top. That moves you back to the finished album where you look in the upper right corner for three vertical dots that means "more options" (it will show that by moving your cursor over it). Left click on that and select "sharing options" where you move the "Share" toggle to switch to"On" (Anyone with the link can see these photos and the people who've been invited or joined). Now you can go back to your album and left click on the picture you want to post and to bring it to full size. Now right click on the picture to bring out the drop down menu and select "Properties" at the bottom. Now go to the next box and copy the Address (URL) and paste it in the "Image" box from the tool bar at the top of your post menu here. Right click on "insert" and you are done. I've been posting all my pictures here with this process and it works fine for me. Its completely free as long as there is enough room in your Google Photos for all your pics and you want to go to the trouble of creating albums to share. I take all my pics with my Android Samsung S5 phone and I have it set to upload all the photos I take to Google Photos (as long as I'm on Wi-Fi to keep from burning up my data) so have the everything in Google Photos plus in a memory card in my phone, or I can download them into my computer for more backup.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017