Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My original 1932 five window at car show today

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. rfraze

rfraze

It won't be the last time someone doesn't realize what they are looking at.

olscrounger likes this.
  2. roger didonato

roger didonato

Been drivin & building them (all kinds of cars) for over 50 yrs presently have a 38 ford sedan delivery and am now working on a 36 ford Aussie ute. How common are these 2? Just turned 7o last sunday & never got a trophy in my entire life! I enjoy my cars.Not the I deserve a trophy attitude .

The37Kid likes this.
  3. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I understand trophies and awards at real shows like the LARS or the GNRS. I even understand the trophies at smaller local or regional shows. What I really don't get is trophies at Friday night cruise nights, where it's really just about cruising to a spot where other enthusiasts gather, get something to eat, walk around and look at cars and shoot the shit with the other car owners. I like to take a lot of pics, share them here and elsewhere, and I always see additional things in the pics later on that I didn't notice in person. But when you've seen all the cars and talked to whoever you wanted to, it's time to split.

Hombre likes this.
  4. xix32

xix32

The local car shows I like to go to wouldn't let that `71 Challenger in the gate.
    "The Scrap Drive" in Belvidere, IL in June
    "The Iron Invasion" in Woodstock, IL in October

5. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I have to admit, that the real judges at these car shows are the "hot babes" that are drawn to your car to look and asked you questions, not that you are going to take any of them home, but in your dreams.

Mr48chev likes this.
  6. Yup, the judges are absolutely right, you need to sell that old antique to ME and buy something worthy of their trophies!:D

That being said, I rarely go to car shows, especially the local ones in a Wal-Mart parking lot. After our long trip (8 weeks!) up to Victoria, BC for Northwest Deuce Days (the best event I have ever been too, bar none!) last summer we stayed close to home this year. We decided to go to a few of the close by local shows in small towns nearby for a nice scenic drive there just for fun in a cool place. So in May we went to the Route 66 Car Show in Williams, AZ and met some great people while taking in the kitschy tourist atmosphere of Williams. We also explored a neat section of Route 66 between there and Flagstaff we hadn't seen before.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    No trophy but who cares, we had fun and that's all that mattered. We got to wander up and down Main Street and see every souvenir in every store. I even met an old gentleman named Clyde that has some old car parts like a Deuce grill he might sell me one of these days. I was parked next to a 35 year retired Navy chief that told me some great stories of his career in the Navy and the time he sailed his sailboat to Hawaii. Cars and car shows are all about people to me and making new friends.

Then in August we had our local Prescott Antique Auto Club Show at the beautiful Watson Lake City Park. I just did the swap meet and sold some stuff but the show was fun too. Its in one of the most beautiful places in Prescott, the Granite Dells and Watson Lake. Its a cool show with a great swap meet. There is even a whole section of guys who bring their antique hit and miss engines to the show so you can see where the whole internal combustion thing started.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Just last weekend we met our friends Mike and Malia up at their house in Camp Verde and drove over to Sedona for the Sedona Car Clubs 35th Anniversary "Cars and Planes" Show. It was at the airport that overlooks the city and the beautiful "Red Rocks of Sedona". We saw a B-26 Marauder bomber, a Navy T-6 trainer and other old aircraft that flew in for the show in addition to a lot of other neat aircraft, helicopters and home built experimental's.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    There was a wide variety of Ferrari's, Bentley's, Corvettes, an Allard, plus the usual fare, with the feature cars being Camaros.
    Mike drove his laser straight, black on black, original 1969 Z-28 Camaro.
    [​IMG]
    Malia drove her fawn on fawn, 1962 Corvette.
    [​IMG]
    and Jan and I drove our well worn, old reliable '32 Ford pickup (note the unfinished interior!).
    [​IMG]
    We had spent the afternoon looking at everything and finally sitting down to have a lunch of cheese and crackers, fruit, chocolate chip cookies and beverages that Jan and Malia had brought, all under the shade of a big 9' market umbrella I have bolted to my trailer hitch. After they handed out the door prizes (Malia won a t-shirt but Mike and I as usual didn't get a thing) they handed out the awards. We were comfy in the shade so we hung around since we wanted to see the old radial engined planes take off. There were plenty of nice trucks so I didn't expect or care if I won anything, since I was there for the scenery, old planes and our friends. I did kind of expect Mike to win something because his Z-28 Camaro is just so damn nice. The judging was by the participants vote. I was going to be in the non-judged area but they ran out of space for that so I just threw in with the truck class. I about fell out of my chair when they announced my name to win the truck class! There were many other more deserving entries all around me than my old truck.
    [​IMG]
    Then they called Malia's name to win the sports car class (which also had a lot of competition)!
    [​IMG]
    Then they called Mike's name to win the Camaro class.
    [​IMG]
    We were all dumbfounded and shocked! We were just there for a relaxing, low key, fun time. I'm sure there were a lot of disappointed entries, especially in my class, but that's a car show. You should never expect to win anything, because if by some weird stroke of fate you do win something, it is that much more fun. I think most of us at our age just want to have fun so you can do that, even at a car show, win or lose.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  7. Egor

Egor

Do you have more pictures with the original owner and would like to see under the hood and interior?

Sent from my SM-G930V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. Kerrynzl

Kerrynzl

Looking at cars at a Car show is in the same context as looking at dream girls in a playboy.

Except you get to ride in your car!

9. Have been thinking about this more and I feel that if the people and venue know what they are looking at then it does make you feel pretty good. I remember wining best Hot Rod at the Silver City Shakedown Show and that did mean something. The guys from "The Others Club" who put it on did know what they were doing. But most of the time it does not matter.
    10450376_10154310195995574_857709043864264160_n.jpg 10463878_10154310195490574_3541297935831299573_n.jpg Slivercity2014 002.JPG
    Plus it was a cool homemade trophy!

kidcampbell71 and j3harleys like this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Picked this out of my Shoebox radiator earlier this year I think going to or from Bear Mountain, NY... So mine is bigger than............:D IMG_0375.JPG

Stogy likes this.
  11. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Looks familiar;)[​IMG]

12. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Second request Sir...
    @indianapolisracer pics please...;)...
    post some nice ones(Pictures)...
    as others have said your driving the trophy
    V
    V
    V

Pictures
    Pictures
    Pictures
    We want Pictures
    Rah Rah Rah
    o_O

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Dirty Dug likes this.
  13. AMEN!!!

14. King ford

King ford
    from 08302

WOW! What a guy....bitches about nobody looking at his car and ignores two dozen requests for pictures...BECAUSE We WANT To LOOK AT HIS CAR!......probably us, maybe we didn't ask nicely enough

LOU WELLS, clunker and The37Kid like this.
  15. j3harleys

j3harleys

I agree. I know exactly how you feel being the age I am and how long I have been doing this of course I have several awards as do all of us . But I never expect them. But when you receive a special one because of the venue and who picks it is very rewarding. I only have 3 that i display and they are in my bedroom and very few people ever see them but me, and i see them every day and I enjoy them. But seeing my coupe in the garage everyday is my biggest reward

ct1932ford likes this.
  16. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

I will send you a trophy ! Nice car though!

17. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay Please...then show us a few more pictures of your 32 @indianapolisracer.

18. fourspd2quad

fourspd2quad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey 911 if that is your wife in your avatar you don't need to see any more women, hell why even go in the garage.;)

19. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

I guarantee the challenger guy would have traded with you in a heartbeat

D-Russ likes this.
  20. When they ask me I just say...... 936626_559532127555710_2420917440334476778_n.jpg

21. BuckeyeBuicks

BuckeyeBuicks
    from ohio

I don't go to many local car shows any more, I can see new Camaros,Mustangs and Challengers every day on the street. The only one I really enjoy, but don't take a car to, is our local Moose Lodge show. I sit around all day with friends, drink beer and girl watch. The judges are Moose office holders and the girl bartenders, none of them know shit from apple butter about the cars so its just a beauty contest. We get happy and razz the trophy hunters that don't get a prize, pisses them off but fun for us good ole boys!!

Hombre and Stogy like this.
  22. cometman98006

cometman98006

You never know what you might be getting into. A lot of shows are put on by none hot rodders to show off their city, business, etc. I took the truck to one 2 years ago advertised as a Hot Rod and Truck show and they didn't even have a truck trophy. Went back tis year and won best truck so they do learn. This was run by a little suburb town as part of their annual celebration.

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apple Butter will never taste the same any more...:(...
    and if I ever have any I'm sure a nice cold beer will remedy it...:D

Just enjoy the people who get it and the scenery
    and educate the positive curious.

24. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I couldn't say it any better than that although there are damned few of us who took our first hot rod to it's first show and didn't hope for a trophy or award and spent more time looking at other cars as how they stacked up against ours rather than having a good time.
    Winning is the fun you have on the way and on the way home, and interacting with other folks at the event. Winning is seeing some young guy or gal ask someone to take their photo standing in front of your car at the event. That was my big win at Tulsa in 1973 that was the first outing for the 48 as a hot rod or street rod. Walked back to the truck after making a round of the grounds and a guy about 17 or 18 was having his bud take his photo while he stood beside my truck as he had one he was working on at home. That and standing in that long assed barbecue line on Saturday night with Tex Smith and a couple of his buds for well over an hour and getting to listen to his stories are the two big memories from that trip.
    Most awards at 1 day outdoor events are decided on what those judging for the award like and have little to do with the actual quality of the car or truck. It's all about what they like or thier club likes. Celeb picks such as Mayor's pick or prom queen's pick are primarily a joke as they are going to pick what flips their wig an not what is the best rig there.
    If you are bent on trophies take the car to an ISCA judged indoor show where the rigs are judged off a judging sheet and given points for this that and another. That will tell how it actually stacks up against similar cars.

I remember and some of the older guys out of Texas will tell you that in the early/mid 70's people would call around to find out where certain cars were going the next weekend to a show and then pick a show that may be several hundred miles away to go to just to hope they could get a trophy.

Jugornot likes this.
  25. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

I remember when I was visiting Colorado a couple of years ago and asked some friends if there was some kind of enthusiast car related action nearby. I ended up on in front of a burger joint/mall-ish Place.in Loveland for a wednesday gathering.
    It crawled With Camaros, 57 Chevies and other crappy "New" cars. I wandered about for some time when a little ...elderly ..lady approached me and asked "If I saw something I like" : I replied: "No, not really". She vanished quickly. :) Was I crude???. Well...Honest anyway. When People bring their trophies and "buildsheet" and display it on a regular wednesday get together. then Im lost. Lawns Chair car show at it best...or worst. And I bet they do it every wednesday. Same "buildsheet" same trophies :)

Gman0046 and Jugornot like this.
  26. Gman0046

Gman0046

One thing I've never done or even thought about doing was making a show board outlining information about my cars. Bringing trophies you've won previously to a car show to me is Gay. That shit is for attention getters, show boaters and gold chainers.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I've said it before but... displaying something like that shows the lack of class of the owner.
    Very poor taste and not at all funny or appropriate.

Bugguts and lurker mick like this.
  28. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

I've drooled all over the ground in front of the car that is posted in this thread, and the write up was an incredible find. I did snap a pic and the inside is a time capsule as well. Love it. 0826171111.jpg

29. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Yep that's my 32 , thanks

bowie likes this.
  30. 31chevymike

31chevymike

Like Stogy has asked a few times - LET'S SEE SOME PHOTOS - in and out - top to bottom... I went through four pages of this thread just now and EXPECTED to see more photos of this amazing find... Now that most of the responses posted here are various views of their car show experiences - may we PLEASE see some more pics of your awesome '32?

slv63 and Stogy like this.