Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Run What Ya Brung @ Reynolds, GA OCT.21,2017

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dirty old man, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Isn't this the same guy?o_O js

els likes this.
  2. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

You are correct Myrtle Beach is on the 14th, not the 7th.

els likes this.
  3. My current thought was to get all the people from RWYB to the same place to enjoy some nostalgia racing. We could do exactly what we do at Reynolds at Commerce only there would be a lot more nostalgia stuff there for the GJ. At Silver Dollar we are typically just running mixed in with what ever bracket event they have going, test and tune or Jr. Dragsters. Last year there weren't that many people from our group making passes. Don't get me wrong, I like Silver Dollar and how laid back it is. Man you guys are like my wife! NO CHANGING PLANS and remembering what I said. She doesn't understand, I have evolving plans that usually get better. Don't penalize me because I hadn't thought of it when I asked permission.

Were you there at RWYB last year Floater03? I am not sure I know you.

els likes this.
  4. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Josh, when you find yourself in a hole, it isn't a good idea to keep digging.

els and 48fordnut like this.
  5. Nah we have a new owner and name change, we wouldn't want to lose what we got. And Mr. Ed made sure our event was Grandfathered in, we sure don't want to let some tuners take our place. Also the lawnmowers are all done except for the end of season points deal they race elsewhere sponsored by Silver Dollar Motorsports Park. So they shouldn't be a problem this year. All that is on the schedule is RWYB and Test & Tune slated for the 21st of October K:cool::cool:L

els, Floater03 and loudbang like this.
  6. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I have had phone calls and comments elsewhere online assuring me that if I so desire, they will come to my shop and get BGII back road and race worthy.
    And one even volunteered to drive her if needed:eek:, also I have the '40 coupe, a cruiser, not a racer, but certainly worthy of the show:cool:
    I already have a room reserved at the hotel, so it's not "if" I'll be there, it's whether we can get BGII together to live up to her advance billing in the poster:)

7. Whelp the mother in law has had her inpatient surgery done and is a day late on her discharge. Any word when you are slated to go before the anesthesiologist Dave?

[​IMG]

Part beekeeper/part racer :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els and loudbang like this.
  8. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Josh, I had the shirts last year when Jimmy and DOM's deals fell through. Waiting on a tee shirt friendly post from Andrew so I can do it again. We had cars spread out on the property last year, part of our unorganized event I guess.:confused: Even had Dan's son there in the sedan, which if I remember right, is one of the reasons(Dan, not the car) this event was started some twelve years ago? It's up to those who choose to do so to make passes, not a requirement.:) Not trying to stir the pot, just promoting our gig!:cool:

els, loudbang and GAOldsman like this.
  9. Here's to everyone in the path of Irma is safe. We are right inline to get so nasty bands this far north. Hopefully we'll have plenty of farwood for the customary evening far.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

els, Dog_Patch and loudbang like this.
  10. Floater03 check your inbox (conversations)

37 days until go time.

els, Dog_Patch and Floater03 like this.
  11. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Something new for the RWYB fans. I am having a trophy made for our event. It is for the fastest tagged ,street driven car. A name plate will be affixed to the trophy for the winners name ,date and speed on it. The trophy will remain in the area and a winners pic will be posted with the speed and a picture of the car. Each year there will be a new tag on the trophy.

I do not think we should move to a larger venue.

I would like to see a larger swap meet event. Where else can you set up and have folks come look at your stuff for 10 bucks.

Just my 2 cent and FWIW.

12. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm in total agreement with all you are saying in your post. But we will have to figure out a place for the trophy to reside during the year and also whether it be ET or speed as the determining factor. Also whether tires must be street legal or we can run slicks. Also will it be for quarter mile or eighth.
    Because I don't like getting so fast with no roll bars, and neither does the track management, I vote for the eighth.
    And because my car was so squirelly (sp?) off the line with my street tires that I got hold of some slicks, more for safety than anything else, I vote slicks OK:D

els likes this.
  13. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Dom, I like the rules as they are. KISS. I thought about street tires, but decided what ever tires you want to run. It is for speed not et. . I think 1/8 would be the best. I have been at the RWYB since it's inception, but due to my age I vote for Scot to keep the trophy. You can't let it go with the winner. It has to stay in the area.

els likes this.
  14. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I agree totally on Scot, as he's in the area. We had what we thought was to be a perpetual trophy once before, and I don't think the guy who won it has been back since he took it home. But to be honest, I'm not at all sure he knew it was intended to be handed down for the subsequent years.
    I'm sorta neutral on speed vs ET, either is fine by me.
    As for the tires, I think you're right, for safety's sake. I know those cool looking bias ply whitewalls I run for street use really set off the black car IMO, but it's sorta weird feeling when you are up past 75-80 mph and the car is still trying to skate around with wheel hop, and you only have a lap belt and some tin to protect you:eek:

els and Dog_Patch like this.
  15. Sounds good to me. My only thing is that it is a NHRA sanctioned 1/4 mile track and my vote is in the 1/4. And more times than not there is the fast one with the quickest ET and the mph that goes right along with. Also should be pre-? (year). Most of the other trophies are for pre-72. I hope to one day be able to lower that, but we need all we can get to keep it worthwhile for the track. We make $0, all and any proceeds goes to the track. Except for the shirts. Floater03 done a tremendous job last year and nailed the size, count and color. I sincerely hope he is making a few dollars each for his trouble, risk and time.

As far as swap meet, yessss people bring your unwanted stuff to sell!!!!!

[​IMG]

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Scot, I know your car was once a circle track car. Does it have a rollbar or cage? Well my roadster doesn't have one, and would likely exceed 120 in a quarter. And I ain't comfortable with running it that fast and have no intention of installing a roll bar for one or two races a year and fuck up the pleasure riding for the rest of the year. Yeah, the track is NHRA certified for quarter mile, but that's also with full NHRA gear. Just because it's a quarter mile track doesn't mean everybody that runs there runs a quarter. Silver Dollar also has eighth mile clocks and lots of classes run it.
    I also seriously doubt track management being too happy with open cars wiith no roll bars running at 120 mph.
    I do agree with being pre '72.

17. Yes it was and no cage anymore. Not even the same frame. If it still had the cage, it probably would not pass inspection to today's standards. As well as some other things that aren't NHRA legal on it still. Such as a firewall between me and the fuel tank in the trunk :eek:

I do know what all is on the timeslip as well as the capabilities of the track's trip-light system... There are staging lanes that only run 1/8th or you can write 1/8th on the tower side window for the scoreboard to show your 1/8th mile times and no time on the 1/4 mark.

I don't blame you for not wanting to cage your roadster. It would kill the look. Anywho if you ain't running a mechanical fuel injection or huffer of some sort, then there is more than just idle to wide open. But safety has to come 1st. Heck I doubt I could break 80 mph in the 1/8th and don't care to get much faster or they'd make me cage it. I'm just saying, you ain't gotta go balls out to have a good time. Cut a good light, romp down on it some and have a good time. That's what it is all about. We ain't running for pinks or purses. Just sayin. Heck bring the '40 that way we can run :cool: Don't feel obligated to bring the roadster just because it's immortalized on the flyer. We want you there and we want you to safely have a good time.

I guess bottom line is since Jim is sanctioning the award, he should get the final say on the stipulations. Either way Dave, you or I are probably not in that race to begin with. I know I can't run in the 130+ range. And that's been the minimum fast pass speed since I've been involved.

18. Floater03

Floater03
    from Byron Ga.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth. 1/4 mile is how they ran,"back in the day" so I can see where that would be a good point for a nostalgia event winner. But, on the other hand, today everything seems to be geared towards the 1/8th(even the SEG's). I do agree that Jim should have the final say, and his post does say "fastest" not "quickest". SEG.jpg

els and Dog_Patch like this.
  19. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Yeah, most everybody ran the 1/4 "back in the day". But in those days, if you had a street driven 200 hp car it was about the fastest thing in town.:( Now 400 hp is easily reached with a small block, and 500+hp street driven cars are fairly frequently found.:eek: Maybe I'm just getting more cautious in my old age, but I ain't interested in 120mph in a roadster with no rollbar, and a lap belt as the only safety feature, and I doubt the track management would be happy about it either.
    I agree with Jim.

els, seadog and Floater03 like this.
  20. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

I am doing the trophy because it's something I wanted to do. Hope it will draw more people in. BITD Mph was most all tracks had.I had a set of Crondek clocks from 58 thru 60 and they only did mph.A stop watch was used for et. We all ran 1/4 back then because we had not heard of 1/8. at least in the S/E. The car must be a legal ,tagged street driven car, probably with a 72 cut off date. No nitrous as that was not something used in the 50s/60s.tire can be your choice. Chime in with other rules as needed.

els, loudbang and Floater03 like this.
  21. chopped

chopped

1/8 brings the driver into the equation, I like that.

22. Most will have my mph for the 1/4 beat in the 1/8 so it really doesn't matter one way or another to me. It's a hoot to go over the times and stories with everyone afterwards. That makes it all worth it that much more.

Another thing that needs addressing is the timing of the awards. It seems like every year someone leaves that has won or is in the running to win an award before the awards ceremony. I know it's a long haul for those that choose to not stay. How does 4pm sound? I have that dry erase board to write in the time for all to see.

23. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I vote for 5:00, but that's just one vote.

els, GAOldsman and Dog_Patch like this.
  24. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

4 or 5pm is about right. Choose and we will follow.

els and GAOldsman like this.
  25. 5pm is OK with me.

els and GAOldsman like this.
  26. Sounds like 5 it is.

els likes this.
  27. How about 4 :)

els, Floater03 and GAOldsman like this.
  28. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    shit stirrer:D

29. Supposedly #31 here ran a 719 cu in Hispano-Suiza V-8 engine

[​IMG]

Hard to believe we have only 1 month left

els and Floater03 like this.
  30. Ya know I think 4 sounds better. By the time we get the "cats rounded up" and divvy out the goodies, It'll be 5 pm. Then supper and desert, then the fire and a bit of cleanup and it'll be dark. Maybe we should just play it by ear. :D

els and Floater03 like this.