Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods I bought an old 1934 Ford hotrod out of OK...anyone have any history on it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Sep 18, 2017.

1. i found this car on eBay and had to have it. Marcy hauled it up to the Hillclimb for me in CO, and I just got home from picking it up. It came from the SW area of Oklahoma, and it has enough uniqueness that I am hopping someone has some history or even better: pictures.

First thing- the door hinges. Beautiful job done in lead. Cowl vent is also leaded shut. Hood has some short runs of Louvers. The dash has been filled and has a hole for a SW panel (which I had). Car is un-chopped and roof not filled. Has a hole cut out in lower drivers cowl and fender for (assuming) steering. Garnish moldings and front end chromed. Front axle is a 37-41, split 33/34 wishbones. Rear end is Tri Five Chev. Has a small block sitting in it. Grill has had an odd trim job done on the top but it does not fit the hood. Talight holes appear a little larger then the 50 Pontiacs I set in there.

So, let's see if anyone has anything on this car. It was last licencened in OK in 1977. I think that's the era the gas tank cover was modified, I think all the lead work was done earlier then that. It was originally Tan, has been painted black, then metallic blue and finally yellow

Anyone have anything? Some pretty unique things done to this ok drag coupe

IMG_7636.JPG IMG_7614.JPG IMG_7615.JPG IMG_7616.JPG IMG_7618.JPG IMG_7619.JPG IMG_7621.JPG IMG_7625.JPG IMG_7626.JPG IMG_7627.JPG IMG_7628.JPG IMG_7629.JPG IMG_7630.JPG IMG_7632.JPG IMG_7633.JPG IMG_7635.JPG

IMG_7544.JPG

IMG_7547.JPG

IMG_7596.JPG

2. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dear god, that is some of the best patina I have ever seen. Bitchin' car! Love those model 40's. Congrats man, what a score!

3. TAF brother! #FOSFTW!

Chris likes this.
  4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - have fun

kidcampbell71 and bakes like this.

5. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Chris your my new hero! :D You come up with more cool Ford cars and parts than any man I know!

6. Daaaaaaammmnnnn!
    No wonder you had to have it. The door uh, pieces are confusing. Sorry no help with the history. Just drooling on my keyboard, like everyone else.

7. Nobey

Nobey

One of my all time favorite cars, such a nice one to start with. Don't remember ever seeing this one, Sorry....

8. 35cab

35cab

And again Chris strikes gold !
    You deserve this, Chris you work damn hard, congratulations.
    Sorry but living on the other side of the planet I will of course be of no use in helping identifying the car, other than I know cool when I see it.
    Gordon.

kidcampbell71 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Nice find! I have no history on this one. The door hinges are interesting to say the least! Lots of work but worth it! Here is one from SO-CAL that has the hinge treatment. This was yesterday at the Outrider's Picnic.
    IMG_8331.jpg

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Those door hinges look familiar. I lived in Texas from 1969 to 1977 and hit a lot of rod run in that time frame.

11. Terrible80

Terrible80

Hey! We saw you on the road. We were up in Colorado camping and gambling. Ran into the hill climb.

Sent from my LG-TP450 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Great score, Chris...Maybe 'shorten' the fairings on the hinges? Just a suggestion.
    Exactly the condition I'd like to find a Model 40 in. Glad for you!

Chevy rear? Those semi-elliptics are for the fat fenders, not the rods. Nice that they left you the '34 rear cross member! Those were usually discarded in favor of an Oklahoma Tube. (3" black pipe) No offense to the Okies, I was one in the '60s.:cool:
    Those deep-'dumped wheels' on rear remind me of most of the guys' cars at Santa Clara H.S. in 1958.
    I remember...I was the one 'dumping' them! (reversing, not 'shit-canning'!)

13. bowie

bowie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Man, that is an awesome old hunk of history! Great score.

14. RMONTY

RMONTY

Roachy! But cool as hell! I think you gonna have to patch the floor before you drive it though....

unclescooby likes this.
  15. Those hinge flairs are the tits! I've never seen that done before. Aerodynamic advantage?:confused:

kidcampbell71 and lothianwilly71 like this.
  16. Roadsir

Roadsir

You have some nice clues.....I bet something turns up pretty quick from some little mag drag coverage. Will be a cool car to bring back for sure!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car, what I wouldn't give to start with something that nice. The hinges remind me of this car.

whiteinsert.jpg

18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Is the prefix on that license plate CL? If so, that is Cleveland County, which includes southern part of Oklahoma City, Norman, Moore, Noble. I know you bought the car out of Cache, which is near Lawton, south and west of OKC, but the tag would indicate an OKC area car so maybe some oldtimers from central Oklahoma would remember the car.

guthriesmith, Larry T and snowroutes like this.
  19. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Chris - another good score, nice work!

22. nice score ! is there a 56 still on the doors under all that nice patina ? to bad you can't see the hood clearly in the picture.... congrats !

23. brady1929

brady1929

Congrats. Great hot rod.

50John likes this.
  24. 2935ford

2935ford

There's going to be some fun in your garage for awhile!
    Nice score!

25. catdad49

catdad49

The car has some interesting clues,kept posting pics! Looks tuff the way you have her mocked up. I can see why you grabbed her.

26. Here are so more pictures. Most of the firewall is gone. The entire floor has been cut out but luckily the subframe was not damaged. The X member is also gone, and there is a transmission mount welded in. There are two sets of motor mounts...some older ones up front and a mount for side mounts moving the engine back a little.
    My guess is this is an old hot rod, and they were modifying it further or making a drag car out of it, but stopped. I don't think it ever saw the road once the floor, firewall were cut out.

IMG_7643.JPG IMG_7650.JPG IMG_7651.JPG IMG_7652.JPG

27. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Neat Coupe but I don't think it's the Yellow Rose. Though the pic is real grainy, it doesn't appear to have door hinge flairs as the #56 would certainly fall within the flairs and be visibly jagged in the 1958 photo (where I assume the car is painted yellow). Also, Chris mentioned the car was tan, black, blue, then yellow. Chris' photos show blue paint on the hinge flairs so the car had hinge flairs prior to wearing yellow.

Chris, It's a really solid start. What are your plans for it?

brad2v and slv63 like this.
  28. I am not sure. I bought it because it's a really nice body, very little rust to repair and I do not think there is a dent in it. Deck lid is mint, doors click shut, it has a title....In my mind, I would love to build a late 50's style hotrod. I have a 1958 365 Cad, Lincoln trans, Dago axle. Chop it, full interior...Even the grill got me thinking about a one piece hood top with a T bird hood scoop much like the "Blue Bird". Kind of a street/strip car with some goofy 50's flair. The dash is something I would never do, but it's there and I kind of like it. I like stuff that's outside the safe zone.

But getting it home and mocking it together- it is a neat old car. Little rough around the edges paint wise but it is definitely a hot rod. I LOVE drag coupe. But I did not buy it to make a drag car out of. So I thought about seeing if it has any history. One way or another, it will continue to be a hot rod.

kidcampbell71, Shamus, brad2v and 4 others like this.
  29. Old-Soul

Old-Soul

Oh who cares about the history of the car Chris, I think you should strip the fenders (hotrods don't have 'em), hammer chop it to within an inch of it's life and make a salt flats car outta it.

;)

Runnin shine likes this.