Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Corvette hot rods - picture thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KING CHASSIS, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This Corvette also had one of those "spray on" vinyl tops".

0044_zpsb21c1dec.jpg

2. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Thanks Jim. I'm not going to say those tops were common but I saw more than a few. From the photo
    it doesn't look like there was a heavy grain to it, like the hardtop for my '69, but maybe that's just an optical illusion. As far as the flair goes, it's more pronounced than normal, plus, he had the "splash guard" fashioned in. I always felt there was room for tastefully customized Corvettes, but too often it was just change for the sake of change. When I think of custom 'vettes, Mark Hamill's from "Corvette Summer" immediately comes to mind, and that one is not a pleasant sight.

loudbang, Baron, jimdillon and 2 others like this.
  3. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

But I still want it or the Formula Firebird that chased him at the end:)

loudbang, quick85 and els like this.
  4. jimdillon

jimdillon

Corvette summer was not a pleasant sight for sure. I seem to remember that Michaelis had the premier in his Ohio town and lost more than a few dollars on the idea. I saw the movie once and I do not believe I would watch it again-maybe in my later stages of dimentia-who knows.

loudbang, Baron, quick85 and 4 others like this.
  5. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

6. noboD

noboD

The fake vinyl tops were around here too. As I remember they were done by the method called stippling . You shoot unthinned paint like the old spiderwebs were done. Then before that sets up you spray thinned paint over it, gives the texture of a vinyl top.

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe, Baron and 4 others like this.
  7. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had some of my early "custom" paint jobs come out like that...lol :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  8. tmwracing

tmwracing
    from Ohio

9. jimdillon

jimdillon

Baron on your Wes Auto body pic it looks like it MAY say headers by Tubular Automotive. I know Hayseed ran Tubular Automotive headers. I have a beautiful set made by them and I thought you did as well. Amazing they are still around after all these years making headers for unusual combinations. Can't think of small headers manufacturers that go back that far, although now that I say that I would not be surprised if someone filled me in on how I am in error.

loudbang, els and Baron like this.
  10. jimdillon

jimdillon

As a follow up to the picture posted by tmwracing that is the beautiful 61 owned by Gene Lang. It was labelled as Hog Shed Corvette which is almost a travesty as it deserves better. It is a survivor of days when custom paint on these cars was to be appreciated. I only mention it in those terms so that anyone wanting to look up the old thread can do a search. It was first posted on the HAMB I believe by basicbob and then sold to solospeedshop.

It was originally shown in it as found condition which is something that I will never understand-but that is just me. I am not a patina guy for the sake of patina. Well earned patina due to age is one thing but neglect is not to be celebrated, but we all know that I would get an argument on that score.

Anyways here is the car today back in the hands of the owner Gene Lang, that had a young custom painter by the name of Richie Ludens lay down some period cool graphics in 1974. Gene thankfully was able to buy the car back from Solospeedshop and clean the car up and restore it as it should have been, corvette tag 021.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 1.jpg 4.jpg including a well deserved new interior. Cool car although as you may surmise I like the after pictures a whole lot more than the as found shots.

11. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Oh man, I dig the pics and I love the car. It received a heck of a throwback paint job. I'm always amazed when I see a tattered or trashed Corvette, no matter what year it is. A Corvette has always been a special car to me.

12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

13. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

"Take the Corvette to work" day. 19693615_308019212994768_2451144415293702858_o.jpg

14. noboD

noboD

Jim, the only thing in MY mind worse then showing in as found condition is fake patina. I've seen cars with pigeon crap all over for the just pulled out of a barn look. I understand mismatched pieces if that's the best you've got. But purposely buffing threw to primer for that ol' look sucks.

15. jimdillon

jimdillon

Doug I could not agree more. I know of a car guy that loves fake patina. He built one fake patina car and dreams of building others. I cannot wait for this fad to go the way of the dodo bird. I will never get it.

16. jimdillon

jimdillon

Not sure if I posted this Vette before but it is similar to the one Quick 85 posted above, especially the flairs and it too has the "vinyl top". Have a soft spot in my heart for this car as it carried a 427 and was candy red. These pics are out of any old magazine. The flairs look pretty close to me. Almost could be the same car (except this car has the six tail light option). 62-427-7.jpeg 62-427-9.jpeg 62-427-1.jpeg 62-427-4.jpeg

17. Danny Brown

Danny Brown

This survivor was on display in Wendover at The Nugget during this year's Speedweek back in August.
    I forget the exact story, but it was last registered in the mid to early '60s.
    Older Vette.JPG

18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

There is a thread on this car on here I will see if I can find a link

65pacecar, loudbang and els like this.
  20. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

These were at the local cruise today. image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

loudbang, els, Bowtie Coupe and 3 others like this.
  21. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

22. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

found this today

jcmarz, elgringo71, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  23. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

24. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Just found this video

loudbang, Bowtie Coupe, bowie and 4 others like this.
  25. els

els

DAMN. There is something cool out there hiding!!!!!!.

loudbang, Hotdoggin DaddyO and enloe like this.
  26. elgringo71

elgringo71

That was a great video !!!

loudbang, els and enloe like this.
  27. godlemmy

godlemmy

loudbang and els like this.
  28. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

ME TOO

29. jimdillon

jimdillon

There are certainly a few parts that are worth money in that video although I am not sure the 56 is going to be seeing any track or street time any time soon. The 59/60 tub though is definitely worth saving and could be salvaged. The 56/57 doors though are not correct for a 59/60 so it would need doors and a front clip etc. The rolls of fiberglass as he calls it may be better at home in a dumpster. That cloth is next to worthless IMO.

I have drug home some of the most unbelievable junk and am working on putting them back together so they resemble a car. Not sure I would add the stuff in that video to my pile though (well maybe-depending on my mental state at the time). I could use a windshield frame though. There still is some stuff to sell at swap meets though. If they build a car out of it for the street or the track I would like to see a build thread on it.

I work occasionally on assembling a couple that appeared to have been cut in half with a hatchet and it certainly makes me scratch my head here and there. When they are that bad they are a real chore to put back together.

Fun to see the enthusiasm nevertheless and the video was fun to watch.

30. noboD

noboD

I'd keep the intake, VC's, and air cleaner and peddle the rest.