Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical My original 1932 five window at car show today

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Sep 17, 2017.

1. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Today I drove my original full fendered 1932 Ford hot rod to a big (500 cars) show . I sat back and watched judges look my car over they spent less than 2 minutes looking at this cherry car . 8BA modified flattie , 39 trans with zephers , 2 speed rear , non rusted original 53 black lacquer paint , original interior , finned Buick drums , you get the picture . I was parked next to a 71 lime green challenger and they spent 15 minutes on that car , needless to say I got nothing while all the chromed up across the counter cars made the top 100 now I know why I don't do car shows ! There was not another car like mine at that show .

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You have the prize already. They award hardware to the other guys so they don't feel so bad andmight return next year.

LSGUN, Cosmo49, bscottstudio and 18 others like this.
  3. j3harleys

j3harleys

I don't want to sound like a smart ass but if you went there to win a trophy or something you went for the wrong reason. Its cool to win stuff but the coolest thing is to get out and go. See other cars and meet new people. Not all car people like or understand our cars or why we love them. Just curious did you have good time except for the trophy part. Again I hope you don't think I'm being a smart ads.

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

post pics of your ride - no one during the day made positive comments, or made approving looks at your ride? - who knows what criteria that the so called judges were required to abide by - do not judge all shows/gatherings by one event

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Next time you go to a car show let them know up front, if you don't get a trophy, you'll whine like a little girl. Maybe that will help your cause. Seriously dude, take a chill pill. It was a car show not the Academy Awards.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Deucedreamer, 31Dodger, Jibs and 37 others like this.
  6. To us, we get it for the treasure that it is. For the unwashed masses it's just an old, outdated, low-tech, 85 year old car. You need to stop going to those events that for the sake of making money, allow anything and everything to come in.

joel, Cosmo49, Hatchet and 8 others like this.
  7. Oh yeah, we need a picture of your '32.:D;)

8. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Buckles and prizes are dust collectors only. Frankly I have never understood the concept of prizes at a car show. Its a "show" ....to "show" your car to people interrested. Its far more aprecciated when people comes over to talk cars and actually knows what they talk about and know what style of car you have. But it too backfires often, depending on where you are with your car. A typical conversation I dont care too much about is:
    Him: "Oh Nice car. Is it a Ford (Duuhh)."
    Me: "Yes, its a 31 coupe, 49 Caddy engine, I drive it like I stole it!"
    Him. "Oh. I have an old car too."
    Me. "Oh Yeah??. What type and year?" (To be polite, I know where this goes)
    Him: "I have a 86 Volvo 240. Im planning to restore it."
    Me: "Ahh. Oh I forgot. Have to meet up With a friend in five. Adios!!"

Yeah. I know. Im narrowminded...and I like it :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  9. clem

clem

With 500 cars in attendance, 2 minutes was probably generous!
    Plus all of the above comments......

j3harleys likes this.
  10. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. clem

clem

You do have a nice deuce coupe though !

scottyh and j3harleys like this.
  12. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

When I used to go to shows, I've paid to get in but never installed my ID tag. I've stop measuring my pecker years ago. It was much more fun leaving before the trophies were handed out.

13. brady1929

brady1929

Beautiful coupe

Fern 54, j3harleys and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. oldolds

oldolds

Local car show judging is similar to going to the bar to get laid! All the made up tramps get picked up first. Your car is the naturally pretty girl. Not all flash and trash.

DLRIDES, Hatchet, j3harleys and 8 others like this.
  15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

nice little coupe... think how much easier it will be for your beneficiaries to clean out your man cave WITHOUT a wall filled with $6 trophies...

clem, caseyajones, Jugornot and 4 others like this.
  16. trey32

trey32

I hope you didn't trailer that wonderful car there...

17. choptop40

choptop40

I agree..go to have fun....life is rigged...and so are car shows....

18. IronTrap

IronTrap

Spending the day sitting in lawn chairs is fine for family picnics and little league baseball games. Go walk the show and see the cars and make some new friends. Trophies just get thrown out when you move or die.

LSGUN, Jugornot, j3harleys and 5 others like this.
  19. wicarnut

wicarnut

Enjoy your ride and the Hobby, the people are the best part of shows, have met and talked with many interesting people with their version of Hot Rod, Kustom, or classic, which I appreciate and like all cars. I see you are a vintage racer, approach car shows in same way as vintage racing, show up, have fun, shoot the breeze/BS, go home happy, repeat next event.

1927graham, j3harleys and LOU WELLS like this.
  20. slowmotion

slowmotion

Great little coupe ya got there. If I owned that, I wouldn't give a shit if I ever seen a trophy. It, itself, is one the grandest of all automobile 'trophies'.

21. The37Kid

The37Kid

When you get older you won't give a shit about trophies. Bob

22. You're going to the wrong car shows. And just so you know, any time you park that killer deuce next to a 71 Challenger, it's the wrong show.

catdad49, 28 Ford PU, LSGUN and 25 others like this.
  23. Bird man

Bird man
    from Milwaukee

"You have the prize already. They award hardware to the other guys so they don't feel so bad and might return next year."
    This- May as well close the thread.

Stogy, j3harleys, weps and 3 others like this.
  24. I agree,acknowledgement is nice but if not winning a trophy is upsetting your going for the wromg reason,you have a beautiful car but the only photo I have seen is it sitting on a trailer,I hope you drive the wheel off!

My way of thinking the coupe is a winner without going to a show. HRP

25. Well said!

j3harleys and chryslerfan55 like this.
  26. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Not just trophies, as I had a buddy that would gauge his outing by how many people had been looking at his car...[bless his soul].
    At the participant judged shows I often overhear owners saying "i'm #45 what # are you "? so they vote for each other...
    Our street rod club only gives out 6 home made trophies... they are cherished

j3harleys and wheeldog57 like this.
  27. [​IMG][​IMG]

These pics are the bomb! Original owner and when you pulled it out of the barn. Pretty incredible. Right on. By the OP's description of his car, it's mostly a survivor, and that's cool.

That being said, I do get some schadenfreude when a Deuce, a real Cobra or Winged Warrior doesn't steal all the glory at a car show.

You have the holy grail of cars there, be happy!
    More to the point, a lot of guys here would love to see more pics of your car, the build and hear about how you found it, who the original owner was etc. Way more interesting than accolades at some car show.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

wheeldog57, 36 ROKIT, bonesy and 16 others like this.
  28. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I think it is clear that if we were the judges at that show, your coupe would get all the trophies!

j3harleys and lothiandon1940 like this.
  29. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Oh I am very happy with my car and I don't care about trophies or recognition , I didn't state that very well but my point was / is that I have learned thru experience the events that I really enjoy are events like The Hot Rod Hill Climb , Race of Gentlemen , places where similar vehicles and enthusiast gather to enjoy these time machines , no more sitting in a hot parking lot all day for me or my car , thanks for your replies .

KKrod, 36 ROKIT, Scooterville and 4 others like this.
  30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Building a car and taking it to car shows isn't Instagram where you gauge your popularity by how many "likes" you receive.
    Build your cars to your liking and enjoyment. Don't be concerned too much about what others think about it. That's what building a Hot Rod or Custom is about.