Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Hot Rod Hill Climb - best ever!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by woody45, Sep 17, 2017.

1. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Hats off to Nick's Garage for another outstanding event. This year was better than ever. Attached are a few photos I managed to snap when not absolutely absorbed in everything going on.

On a personal note: This year's event was especially "eventful" for me as I hooked with an old high school friend that I hadn't seen in 50+ years. My wife and I were checking in for the Reliability Run early Friday and while walking through the parking area I came across an early Ford pickup, all original, with faded lettering on the door.....Mt Vernon Service, HIWAY 40 Golden. I mentioned to my wife that I spent a lot of time at that gas station during high school, it was owned by the Palmer brothers, Don and John, who were both legendary stock car drivers at Lakeside Speedway back in the 50's and 60's. I was friends with one of Don's sons, Charlie. Charlie had the coolest ride ever, a bright orange tall T coupe with a 303 Olds. I drove a 29 A coupe with a 48 Merc. Anyway, we were standing by the old Ford truck and a gentleman is showing a folder full of photos to an interested bystander. I whisper to my wife that I think the gentleman is one of the Palmer boys. So I walk up and peer over the gentleman's shoulder to get a peek at the pictures. All the photos are of the old Mt Vernon service station which, back in the day, was the last gas stop on Hiway 40 before heading into the mountains. I can't contain myself and start interrupting with questions and comments about the old gas station. The poor bystander looses interest and walks away. I know this gentleman must be Charlie Palmer, but he looks way to young....I'm 72 and he was a year younger. So I ask the gentleman if he is one of the Palmer boys and he smiles and says, "Yes I am, I'm Charlie". I tell Charlie that I knew him years ago back in the 60's, but he probably wouldn't remember me. I introduce myself and Charlie breaks out in the biggest grin ever and says "Are you kidding me?, of course I remember you, you drove a 29 model A! No one knows what happened to you". As it turns out, Charlie also provided me with contact info for my best friend in high school who I have been trying to locate for years. What a day, and all because of the HRHC!

Charlie Palmer is one of the youngest most up-beat 70+year olds you will ever meet. Charlie ran his Tall T in the hill climb, and it is exactly as it was when he was in high school...same paint job, same engine, and no shock absorbers, which was evident as he was bouncing up the hill with his foot buried and his wife Pat at his side. I can't wait to spend more time with Charlie and see his collection of old hot rods.
    RIMG0525.JPG RIMG0526.JPG RIMG0527.JPG RIMG0525.JPG RIMG0526.JPG RIMG0527.JPG RIMG0529.JPG RIMG0530.JPG RIMG0531.JPG RIMG0532.JPG RIMG0533.JPG RIMG0534.JPG RIMG0535.JPG RIMG0536.JPG RIMG0537.JPG RIMG0538.JPG RIMG0539.JPG RIMG0540.JPG RIMG0541.JPG RIMG0542.JPG RIMG0543.JPG RIMG0544.JPG RIMG0545.JPG RIMG0546.JPG RIMG0547.JPG

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    Tim, 30TudorSedan, wicarnut and 16 others like this.
  2. Great story! Charlie's T was one of my favorite cars at the event!

3. 6inarow

6inarow

AWESOME thats what its all about. Im happy for you

4. Great! Thanks for sharing.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Cool story & pics - Thanks

6. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Very interesting story. Funny how things come together sometimes.

Good for you.

7. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Thanks! Wish I had had the foresight to keep my high school hot rod.

cactus1 likes this.
  8. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Indeed. Appreciate your comment.

9. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Seems like the best stories involve best friends and the best of times..... Thanks!

Offset likes this.
  10. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for reading.....

pat59 likes this.
  11. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Charlile can always keep you guessing. Never know what ride he will have at an event. His tall T, the 34 sedan delivery with an Ardun, the 34 roadster. And his brother has the very rare Stephans overhead converted flatty.

12. Great post -glad you re-connected....and so y'all will be back next year ?

13. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Absolutely! Can't wait for the hot rod dirt drags in Monte Vista as well.

14. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

I can't wait to stop by his "museum".

15. Hot Rods and the people of our hobby make for some of the best reunions and travel stories!

16. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great event and a great bunch of cool rides. Thanks for the story and bringing things to the desktop @woody45

17. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

So well said. My wife continues to be amazed at the wonderful people, from all walks of life, that we meet in the course of enjoying our shared passion.....hot rods.

18. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

You're most welcome.

Stogy likes this.
  19. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Woody edit your original post and select more options and select images in post and delete then select full image to each image instead of thumbnail...these pics deserve full image . If you can't no worry...

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
  20. brady1929

brady1929

Great story and pics.

21. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Enjoyed your story and pics,thanks.

22. ryno

ryno

great story, and yes nick and crew put on one hell of an event.

Nicks Hot Rod Garage likes this.
  23. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Stogy, I didn't catch the full image option in time when I originally posted. Appreciate your suggestion.
    Woody45

Stogy likes this.
  24. @woody45 Thanks for the compliments! Charlie & Pat our some of our favorite people. Charlie was going to bring the PickUp to the Hot Rod Hill Climb, but when I saw his T the weekend before (out for the first time), I asked why he wasn't bringing that to HRHC. Of course he humbly said, its not really a 1950's hot rod, I built it in the 60's. I said, listen, the event is about old hot rods, and the people that drive and build them. I know the promoter, I'll talk to him. Just bring the T!

So glad you guys reconnected!
    -nick

j3harleys likes this.
  25. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Once again I had to miss it. Next year fer sure, Gary

26. goatboy

goatboy
    from kansas

this looks awesome, I will make this event one day. we go to estes a lot so all I have to do is haul my stude along with and meet up (sounds easy)

27. fatkoop

fatkoop

The Palmer boys are some of the neatest guys you could ever meet! True hot rodders, racers, collectors, and all-around fun people! If you missed this event, you missed a great time!

j3harleys likes this.
  28. woody45

woody45
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, Nick. My wife and I noticed many improvements you made over the prior year....you and your team take constructive feed back seriously and it's much appreciated.

Our goal next year is to enter our 47 Tudor in the hill climb, hopefully the "promoter" will approve it as it does run a dreaded SBC.......

teach'm likes this.
  29. Andy

Andy

Thanks for sharing!